[comp.arch] The invisible nose of Adam Smith

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (06/07/90)

In article <blahblah> sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
>In article <blahblah> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> >> What are the answers to these questions?
> >> 1.  Who is Adam Smith?
> >> Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>
>This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
>education. In Europe, people who don't know who Adam Smith was (not is),
>wouldn't be allowed near a computer, let alone be employed at a University.
>
>Daan Sandee   sandee@scri1.scri.fsu.edu

Which just goes to show the low value of intellectual smugness. I hear this
kind of nonsense from my European ralatives all the time: "The Americans are
such unlearned bastards. If I had them in my house, I'd teach them a thing or
two about culture".

The obvious answer to such a jibe is to acknowledge the truth that Americans
do (in general) place less value on polish and an intellectual veneer. The
obvious reason being that such polish is of no substantial value, and can
easily be used to disguise gross shallowness in content. Social polish is
a method of class dictinction and social exclusion. Frankly, I'm more
interested in a computer researcher's ideas and results that whether she
can read the Iliad in Greek.

Remember, the more you try to keep those who are "uncultured" "low born"
"of inferior race/breeding/upbringing" out of the mainstream of
society, the more likely such pig-ignorant snobbery will cost you
due to the suppression of good talent. Plus its bad manners.
--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!