[comp.arch] ATTENTION all digital CHIP DESIGNERS : Help Requested

lewine@dg.dg.com (Don Lewine) (06/07/90)

In article <1569@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> md89mch@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Martin Howe) writes:

>What I'm actually asking of you all is how true a picture of the actual
>real-world VLSI design process is this ?  I don't expect everyone to come
>rushing out with any company secrets of course, but surely there must be
>a comon denominator.
	The problem with all of these course projects is that they are much
	smaller than the real-world design problems.  Many real-world chips
	have several designers who work for years.

	There are interesting problems when you have lots of CAD data and
	several people working that you will never see.

	There is also the fact that really building a chip reveals a great
	deal that does not show up in a course.  Can a real vendor read
	your tape?  Do they read the specs the same way you do?

	In short, it is not a very true picture of the real-world.

mhoeffli@mipos2.intel.com (Michael Hoefflinger) (06/09/90)

In article <499@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!lewine (Don Lewine) writes:
>In article <1569@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> md89mch@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Martin Howe) writes:
>>
>>What I'm actually asking of you all is how true a picture of the actual
>>real-world VLSI design process is this ?  I don't expect everyone to come
>>rushing out with any company secrets of course, but surely there must be
>>a comon denominator.
>>
>	The problem with all of these course projects is that they are much
>	smaller than the real-world design problems.  Many real-world chips
>	have several designers who work for years.
>
>	There are interesting problems when you have lots of CAD data and
>	several people working that you will never see.

		Quite true.  The 80586 design team has nearly 50 members...

  _ _ _					    | Doing the right thing and
 ' ) ) )   /      mhoeffli@mipos2.intel.com |    doing things right - Kawasaki
  / / / o /_  _   INTEL, Santa Clara, CA    | Grace Under Pressure - Hemingway
 / ' (_<_/ <_</_  Si cc 586:  Design Auto.  | The Journey is the Reward - Jobs