[comp.arch] 1st 64 Megabit DRAM

dankg@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/11/90)

In article <16348@smunews.UUCP> leff@smu.seas.smu.edu (leff) writes:
>From NYT, June 8, 1990, page C1
>
>Hitachi Ltd, said today that it was the first to ... achieve:  a working prototype
>of a memory chip that can store more than 64 million bits of information.
>...Most experts have predicted that the first 64-megabit chips would not be
>ready until 1995.
>
>...comprises 140 million electronic devices, onto a surface that measures
>9.74 millimeters by 20.28 millimeters.  ... built with circuits ... 0.3
>micron wide.
>
>...etched with electron beams ...

	I read the same article, too.  And surprised to find any other
news sources reported that news I encountered:  It wasn't mentioned in
CNN's Science & Technology Week and its periodical news updates, not
on San Francisco Chronicle (this one I'm not sure) and other massmedia.
To bigger surprise, I coundn't find it on comp.arch, comp.lsi and other
newsgroups.
	I want more info so I excerpted this artice to other newsgroup
(I intended to do so but there was a post already).  Follow-up is
comp.arch so please give us more info/flame/et al.

Dan Kogai (dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu)

lewine@dg.dg.com (Don Lewine) (06/11/90)

Here is the information that I have:
	Hitachi announced the development of a 64M bit DRAM [[Did not say
							      anything about
							      working parts.]]
	Operates on a single 1.5V power supply
	Access time is 50 ns.
	Power dissipation is 44mW.
	The device uses 0.3 micron technology
	Chips size is 9.74 x 20.28 mm.
	Memory cells are constructed with multi-layer capacitors.
	Hitachi expects to use this DRAM in protable OA equipment, note book
		size PC.

		(source: DENPA SHINBUN 6/8/90)

				--Don Lewine
				  uunet!dg!lewine

khoult@bbn.com (Kent Hoult) (06/12/90)

In article <511@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!lewine (Don Lewine) writes:
>Here is the information that I have:
>	Hitachi announced the development of a 64M bit DRAM [[Did not say
>							      anything about
>							      working parts.]]

The article I read yesterday on it said that they currently only have some
sample DRAM cells working (a small number of bits). The sample cells were
done with E-beam lithography.

They don't expect to have a working 64M prototype for a year or two.

The article was in the trade-rag that arrived yesterday (EE-times ?).

Kent Hoult, BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge, MA
khoult@bbn.com  TEL: (617) 873-4385

thg@gmdzi.UUCP (Thomas Hagemann) (06/12/90)

From article <511@dg.dg.com>, by lewine@dg.dg.com (Don Lewine):
> Here is the information that I have:
> 	Hitachi announced the development of a 64M bit DRAM [[Did not say
> 							      anything about
> 							      working parts.]]
> 	Operates on a single 1.5V power supply
> 	Access time is 50 ns.
> 	Power dissipation is 44mW.
> 	The device uses 0.3 micron technology
> 	Chips size is 9.74 x 20.28 mm.
> 	Memory cells are constructed with multi-layer capacitors.
> 	Hitachi expects to use this DRAM in protable OA equipment, note book
> 		size PC.
>
> 		(source: DENPA SHINBUN 6/8/90)
in addition, HITACHI plans to ship samples in 3 to 4 years, mass production
will start in 1995.
At the same time, MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC said it developed a new architecture
for 64 MB DRAM-Chips with 40 ns access time, which is also applicable for
next generation 256 MB DRAM's.
--
Thomas Hagemann, German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
                 Schloss Birlinghoven, 5205 St. Augustin 1, West Germany

raje@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Prasad Raje) (06/13/90)

About the 64Mbit DRAM:

I havent read any of the trade rag announcements so I dont know if Hitachi
made a separate announcement, but I was there at the
VLSI Circuits Symposium in Hawaii where a paper on a 64Mb DRAM was presented.

Here is the reference:
Y.Nakagome et al, "A 1.5V Circuit Technology for 64Mb DRAMs",
VLSI Circuits Symposium Digest, p 17, 1990.

The paper mainly concentrated on circuit techniques (sense amp, word line
driver, half Vcc voltage generator) for 1.5 V operation that will be
required for 64Mbit DRAMs. They did have a chip microphotograph of the 64M
DRAM but did not present measured data on this RAM. The access time of 50ns
was obtained by circuit simulation. They probably do have working circuits
for their new sense amps etc and did show some scope traces of wordline,
and data out waveforms.

Some details on the technology for those who do not have access to the
reference (most libraries may not have the Digest yet)

Organization:		16Mx4
Techonology:		0.3um P substrate, triple well CMOS
			Oxide thickness: 65A
			Gate Length: 0.5um (N), 0.6um (P)
Cell:			Stacked Capacitor cell, 44fF Ccell
			0.8 um x 1.6 um = 1.28 um^2
Chip size:		9.74 mm x 20.28 mm = 197.5 mm^2
Power Supply:		1.5 or 3.3V external, 1.5V internal
Access time:		50ns

Enjoy
Prasad

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (06/13/90)

	The mistakes of the present carried to the technology of the future.

	Eight MegaBytes stacked behind a 50ns nibble-wide port is
almost a second for a blind burst read.

	A 24-bit wide "full color" bitplane built from these suckers
only gives a 500x800 display at 50Hz.  (thou you could have 40 such
screens packed in the chips).

	Just give me a port with 21 bits of address and 32 bits of
data for direct connection to my CPU.  If I need more than 8MB of RAM,
I'll probably need more than one processor anyway.

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
	Tyrant of the SFB-tactics E-Mailing list.

jonah@db.toronto.edu (Jeff Lee) (06/13/90)

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

>	Just give me a port with 21 bits of address and 32 bits of
>data for direct connection to my CPU.  If I need more than 8MB of RAM,
>I'll probably need more than one processor anyway.

A 20MHz processor plus a dedicated 8MB 50ns memory (i.e. no cache) --
or a board full of these -- would seem to be quite useful for some
applications.  On the other hand, a 4-bit wide memory means you need
64MB (8 chips) to get a 32-bit wide memory and 128MB (16 chips) to make
a 64-bit wide memory -- which is more than you may want dedicate as
"local" memory for a smart controller of some sort.

Can anyone with a hardware design background say what the problem is
with wider memory chips (BESIDES having to change the packaging/pinout
of the memory chips).

j.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (06/13/90)

In article <31499@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:
>	The mistakes of the present carried to the technology of the future.
>	Eight MegaBytes stacked behind a 50ns nibble-wide port is
>almost a second for a blind burst read.
>	A 24-bit wide "full color" bitplane built from these suckers
>only gives a 500x800 display at 50Hz.  (thou you could have 40 such
>screens packed in the chips).
>	Just give me a port with 21 bits of address and 32 bits of
>data for direct connection to my CPU.  If I need more than 8MB of RAM,
>I'll probably need more than one processor anyway.
>
>	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Well said.  There is light at the end of the tunnel though.  It seems
many/most of the majors are looking to widen their memory ports, eg
some have 64kx16 rams on the horizon, x8 vrams now, etc.  TI is starting
a line of ssop packaged x16 buffer/register parts.  Now all we need is a
packaging technology to contain all those 128+ bit busses, eg multichip
modules anyone? ;-)  Of course a 32 bit port into vram isn't going to
make you a happy camper either if you want your hdtv resolution (1920x1080)
screen to update at a reasonable rate.  Me?  I want at least 256 bits into
my frame buffer..

				Rick Spanbauer
				Ameristar

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (06/13/90)

In article <31499@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

>	The mistakes of the present carried to the technology of the future.
>	Eight MegaBytes stacked behind a 50ns nibble-wide port is
>almost a second for a blind burst read.
>	A 24-bit wide "full color" bitplane built from these suckers
>only gives a 500x800 display at 50Hz.  (thou you could have 40 such
>screens packed in the chips).

    Gee, I guess that progress in the semiconducter industry isn't always
defined by who can make the biggest, fastest, most colorful frame buffer.

>	Just give me a port with 21 bits of address and 32 bits of
>data for direct connection to my CPU.  If I need more than 8MB of RAM,
>I'll probably need more than one processor anyway.

     One would assume that the intended market for this device is not
"[your] CPU" :-)  There seem to be a number of single-processor systems
around that CAN make reasonable use of more than 8MB of memory.

     It isn't clear to me why DRAM's are nearly always bit-wide or nibble-
wide, besides tradition.  Compatibility doesn't seem to be an issue for
this chip.  Is it possible that error correction circuitry can somehow
be more efficient this way?  I would expect that this chip has a significant
amount of space devoted to error correction.  Alternatively, (more likely?)
the intention is to keep the markets for successive generations of chips
from overlapping too much.  To move up to the next higher density, you
are forced to buy a lot more memory this way.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu

In article <90Jun12.183151edt.2787@ois.db.toronto.edu> jonah@db.toronto.edu (Jeff Lee) writes:
>hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

>Can anyone with a hardware design background say what the problem is
>with wider memory chips (BESIDES having to change the packaging/pinout
>of the memory chips).

I think the issue so far has just been density.  Before the 1 Meg density
parts came along, you rarely found a DRAM that wasn't a simple 1 bit part.
Certainly there were 64k x 4 parts in the 256K density, but they weren't
very popular.  With the 1 Meg and 4 Meg parts, the 4 bit packages are more
popular, since that amounts to a reasonable chunk of memory -- 512K on a
16 bit bus or 1 Meg on a 32 bit bus with 1 Meg density parts.  You probably
don't want less for most applications, and going to an 8 or 16 bit package
would increase board space for the same amount of memory.  There are already
specifications for 8 bit DRAMs, and I wouldn't be surprised to see these
become popular when 16M DRAM gets reasonable.  The other issue is of course
the standard packaging; I can build a board today for 256k x 4 parts which
can easily support the 1 Meg x 4 parts, since they use compatible packages.
This is much less an issue if you're using memory modules, since the PCB of
the module sorts out the actual packaging issues for you.  But you're not
going to have 4 or 16 Meg x 4 parts in a compatible package anyway, so I
imagine a new basic DRAM part size will become the standard one when these
parts are out in force.

>j.

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

In article <1990Jun11.032747.15462@agate.berkeley.edu> dankg@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>In article <16348@smunews.UUCP> leff@smu.seas.smu.edu (leff) writes:
>>From NYT, June 8, 1990, page C1
>>
>>Hitachi Ltd, said today that it was the first to ... achieve:  a working prototype
>>of a memory chip that can store more than 64 million bits of information.
>>...Most experts have predicted that the first 64-megabit chips would not be
>>ready until 1995.

	Note: according the EETimes, it is NOT a working prototype.  It is 18
months or 2 years from being a working prototype according to Hitachi.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

davidb@braa.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (06/14/90)

In article <90Jun12.183151edt.2787@ois.db.toronto.edu> jonah@db.toronto.edu (Jeff Lee) writes:

>A 20MHz processor plus a dedicated 8MB 50ns memory (i.e. no cache) --
>or a board full of these -- would seem to be quite useful for some
>applications.  On the other hand, a 4-bit wide memory means you need

Hmm, by the time these little beauties hit the market 20MHz will
be almost DC :) and probably only used for very low power applications.
50ns is about adequate on today's fast CMOS processors.

>Can anyone with a hardware design background say what the problem is
>with wider memory chips (BESIDES having to change the packaging/pinout
>of the memory chips).

Packaging and pinout is no problem. Finding the power to drive all
the output pins fast is a bit of a problem. However, don't expect
64Mbit DRAMs to hit the market looking anything like today's 1/4Mbit
parts. If they do then we really will be in trouble.

David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |     (us): uunet!inmos.com!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 547        | Internet: davidb@inmos.com

suhler@ibm.com (Paul Suhler) (06/14/90)

David Hinds (dhinds@popserver.stanford.edu) writes:
>     It isn't clear to me why DRAM's are nearly always bit-wide or nibble-
>wide, besides tradition.  Compatibility doesn't seem to be an issue for
>this chip.  Is it possible that error correction circuitry can somehow
>be more efficient this way?  [...]

The reason to prefer bit-wide RAMs is that if a single chip fails, then
ECC can still correct the error.  If two or more bits go at once, then
it can't.

Paul Suhler
Hybrid Dataflow Systems

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/16/90)

Actually, a 2-bit DRAM is just as minimal as a 1-bit DRAM, w.r.t.
pin count.  Has anyone ever sold a 2-bit DRAM part?

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (06/17/90)

In article <1990Jun13.051630.6829@ameristar> rick@ameristar
	(Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>Now all we need is a
>packaging technology to contain all those 128+ bit busses, eg multichip
>modules anyone? ;-)  Of course a 32 bit port into vram isn't going to
>make you a happy camper either if you want your hdtv resolution (1920x1080)
>screen to update at a reasonable rate.  Me?  I want at least 256 bits into
>my frame buffer..

As I've said before in this forum, I see at least nine candidate
technologies that will allow cm^2 chips to have 1,000+ pins.

(The nine are: 1) flip chip  2) insetting to planarize with substrate
3) multilayer TAB  4) mechanically stacked active regions  5)
metallizing a beveled chip edge  6) trenched cantilevers  7) chip
vias  8) wafer scale  9) [speculative!] onchip optical elements.  If
anyone has more [not the Cray-3 technology], I'd appreciate mail. )

Most of these imply or require that you are communicating with
something nearby, and in a very controlled environment. Even then,
power is going to be an issue, with multilayer TAB probably being the
worst.

Such a superchip will initially be expensive, just as 40-pin DIPs
were once expensive.  (The 68000, in its 64 pin DIP, was awesome.)
So, the superchip will probably hold a CPU or four, with the pins for
primary cache(s) <===> secondary cache.  It won't necessarily be a
single 1024-signal bus: it may be several buses, and they may be
double railed, or unidirectional, or both.  Note that clock rates
should be past 100 MHz ( ie 10 ns ) by then: it is the agonized
search for nanoseconds will drive us to this packaging.  The MIPS
RC6280 (R6000 ECL box) has an 8 word primary-I-line and a 2 word
primary-D-line, i.e.  a logical width of 320 bits. That seems
consistent with the superchip.

The "Micro 2000" suggested by Intel in the Oct89 IEEE Spectrum is
described as 250 MHz, one square inch, and with a 2 MB onchip
secondary cache.  That would have room for 2K+ pins, again consistent
with the 32 word (1024 bit) line size of the RC6280 secondary cache.

As for frame buffers ... Sony has a 2K x 2K color monitor:  72 Hz is
a standard: that gives a pixel rate of 302 MHz, or 24 bits every 3.3
nano. Assuming VRAM with 50 MHz shift rates (twice what MegaScan
uses), the refresh alone has to be 144 bits wide.  I presume that the
non-serial VRAM port needs a similar bandwidth?

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	leaving CMU .. make me an offer!