[comp.arch] Arithmetic Instructions

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (06/29/90)

In article <811@ehviea.ine.philips.nl> leo@ehviea.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
>I think whether you can write efficient arithmetic routines has
>little to do with the sophistication of arithmetic instructions.

Recent machines are really excellent.  Occasionally, it is good to
take a break from knocking them, and remember - for example - the
HP2100, which didn't have an integer subtract instruction.

(You did "I-J" by: loading J: complementing it: adding one: then
adding I. Yes, it didn't have a negate instruction, either.)

From this perspective, RISC machines are actually featureful.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay