[comp.arch] New SPARC instructions

geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) (06/29/90)

In article <PCG.90Jun27205445@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>More seriously: my tired eyes may have betrayed me, but I seem to have
>seen full multiplication and division instructions in some recent SPARC
>opcode writeup (as(1) manual for 4.1 SunOS).

Your eyes are still very sharp!
The new instructions are: SDIV, SDIVcc, SMUL, SMULcc, UDIV, UDIVcc, UMUL, UMULcc.
Are there any more that SUN has snuck in?

Has anybody tried to assemble these on 4.1? (My doco arrived without tapes!)
Does 4.1 contain any provision to trap on them and emulate them?

What are the opcodes SUN has assigned anyway?
How do these new instructions fit into the concept of an Applications
Binary Interface (ABI) standard?

--
Geoff Bull			Phone  : (+61 48) 68 3490
Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.	Fax    : (+61 48) 68 3474