[comp.arch] Computer Patents

pjt@.cs.su.oz.au (Peter John Treloar) (07/02/90)

Computer Software Patents
==========================

Perhaps I should start with an anecdote about the Australian
software patent situation. A few years ago I applied for
recognition of my CS degree as one of the requirements for
registration as a patent attorney only to be rejected by the
patents board who said that computer software wasnt
sufficently in the realm of patentable subject matter !!!
(Hence I am presently back at uni studing physics while I
finish off all the other patent law exams )

A number of interesting issues have been discussed which I
shall try to treat separately:

PHILOSOPHY OF PATENTS
======================
The history Ive studied goes something like this:
A long time ago in the land far far away (England), the gov.
wanted to encourage new foreign trades and so they would grant
exculsive rights to foreigners for 14 years (This was said to
be the term of 2 apprentiships) to practice the trade in
England. The same idea is still the basis today in that the
state grants a monopoly in return for the detailed description
of the invention which is on the public record.

Why should we encourage computer patents? well I think for the
same reason, they may not be great but they have proven
benefits to industry and commerce. Of course the famous
counter example is Coca-Cola's secret formula ;-).

One idea that may be worth thinking about is the inventor who
for example discovers a way to crack  those big digits they
have been talking about in sci.crypt in polynomial time rather
that exponential time. He has too options, one try to get a
patent in which case the gov. will probably refuse on secrecy
grounds or say you cant get one, well thats ok, she just goes
and picks up a killer micro :-) moves to some obscure
mountain ranch and for the next infinity years charges a
fortune from the highest bidder to crack secret codes.

You see publication and patents may not always be in your $
interest and its all just weights in the balance. Anyway if i
get time I'll do a followup article here but Im going to lunch
now.

Publication:
============
Generally the united states is the only country that does not
require ABSOLUTE NOVELTY. By absolute novelty I mean that
publication in any form before the filing date of the patent
will invalidate the patent.

The US gives a 12 month GRACE PERIOD from publication to the
filing of the patent where by the patent will not be invalid
by means of the publication.

Publication rules do tend to vary from country to country, in
Australia and UK publication consists of telling anybody
about it where that person is not under a duty to maintain
secrecy. I forget the US rule but I think it has similar
effects except that the publication has to be in printed form.

As to prior publication of anothers work to usurp a patent,
again in most countries its a question of general availablilty
and that general availability means accessable to the public
even if it requires substantial effort to locate the
information. However you must be careful here to distinguish
between that concepts of NOVELTY and OBVIOUSNESS. The general
rule in australia and many other countries
being that to invalidate on the
grounds of Novelty the disputed patent must be contained
within the 4 corners of a single prior document whereas for
OBVIOUSNESS you can MOSIAC documents together so long as each
document is part of the COMMON GENERAL KNOWLEDGE in the field.

COSTS
======
About Au $4000 (Au $1 = US $0.70) all up for your homecountry
and about $2000 - $3000 for each other country speaking the
same language and add another $2000 if they speak a different
language.

PATENT SPECIFICATION
====================
Contain many standardized parts the main ones are the Detailed
description of the invention and the claims.

The detailed description requires you to describe the
invention to the level that would allow the skilled
technician to carry out your invention without the exercise of
any inventive faculty. This is the part the state requires in
return for the monopoly grant.

Claims are just like staking out claims during the goldrush
:-). Hence they are normally drafted to be initally as wide as
possible in the hope that they dont encompass any other prior
published docs. However you dont really know what else is out
there and so you normally draft a series of claims each one
slightly narrower than the preceeding one just in case
something turns up to invalidate the wider ones.

INTERNATIONAL CONVENTIONS
=========================
Most western countries belong to the Patent Co-operation
Treaty which allows for the claiming of a foreign country
filing date to be the same as the home country filing date etc
etc.

Anyway back to studing the patent exams ......

Peter Treloar
pjt%cs.su.oz

thomson@beaches.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (07/03/90)

In article <1078@cluster.cs.su.oz> pjt@.cs.su.oz.au (Peter John Treloar) writes:
>Most western countries belong to the Patent Co-operation
>Treaty which allows for the claiming of a foreign country
>filing date to be the same as the home country filing date etc
>etc.

For what that is worth.  In US patent applications, it is the date
of invention rather than the date of filing that is critical, and if
you can provide documentary evidence (eg. notarized inventor's notebook)
that you actually invented something before another applicant you may
be granted the patent in spite of filing later.

At least, if you are an American you can.  Foreign applicants are
deemed to have invented on their filing date, and are not given the
same opportunity to prove their priority.
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu