[comp.arch] Patents and Misinformation

rh@craycos.com (Robert Herndon) (06/28/90)

  I have recently seen many articles in this newsgroup,
which, if they weren't dangerous, I would call silly.
Does anyone have a copy of the article posted a few years
ago about patents written by someone who knew?
  Among the more absurd claims made was "If it has been
published, it can't be patented."  This is patently (ugh)
false.  If I recall correctly, someone who invents an
idea and publishes it does have a limited time to apply
for a patent, but publication does not preclude a patent
(at least in the U.S.).  I'd like to see that article
again...
  Also, one should be very careful about EXACTLY what has
been patented.  XOR cursors and RMW on frame buffers seem
like silly patents, but any ingeniousness/limitations in
their particular use may make the patents themselves quite
reasonable.
  For instance, it is generally believed that Bell Labs
first invented and patented the transistor.  This is simply
not true.  Bell Labs did invent and patent the bipolar(?)
SEMICONDUCTOR transistor, which is a very different thing.
The first transistor (that I know of) was invented and
patented by someone named Lilienfeld about 1930, who made
one out of cadmium sulfide and demonstrated its utility
for amplifying electrical signals by building an oscillator
with it.  Unijunction transistors, FETs, MOSFETs, IGFETs,
Gunn diodes, etc., also all have separate patents, even
though they are all for "solid state" devices that amplify
electrical signals.

Robert Herndon
Cray Computer Corp.			rh@craycos.com
1110 Bayfield Dr.			719/540-4240
Colorado Springs, CO		   "Ignore these three words"

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (06/29/90)

Publication more than 12 months before the application or anytime
prior to the claimed invention date is sufficient to disqualify an
application.

Still, if a patent is what you want, it's risky to publish or give out
too much useful information before applying, especially if you have
not yet reduced the idea to practice.  There is always a danger that
someone else has had the same idea and could file before you.  In this
case, the first inventor can actually lose patent priority to a more
recent inventor if he was not the first to reduce the process to
practice or was not at least diligently trying to do so before the
other inventor thought of it.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			6 Trillium Lane
Stanford University				San Carlos, CA 94070
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-9127

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (06/29/90)

In article <JIM.90Jun28190813@baroque.Stanford.EDU>
jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:
+---------------
| Publication more than 12 months before the application or anytime
| prior to the claimed invention date is sufficient to disqualify an
| application.
+---------------

That's true for *U.S.* patents only! Publication anywhere at any
time before the patent application is grounds for denial of the
patent in most other countries. Inventors beware!

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.163043.501@craycos.com> rh@craycos.com (Robert Herndon) writes:
>  I have recently seen many articles in this newsgroup,
>which, if they weren't dangerous, I would call silly.
>  Among the more absurd claims made was "If it has been
>published, it can't be patented."  This is patently (ugh)
>false.  If I recall correctly, someone who invents an
>idea and publishes it does have a limited time to apply
>for a patent, but publication does not preclude a patent
>(at least in the U.S.).

Mea Culpa.  What I meant to say was that if you don't want something
that you invent to later be patented by someone else, then publish it.
If you publish something, then you have 12 months to patent it in the
US.  In most other countries, publication does prevent patenting
though.  Usually its not worth it to only patent in the US, so beware.

There are good reasons for an invention to not be patented.  Some
inventions will do more good in the public domain that they will under
proprietary ownership.  The patent system makes it very simple for an
inventor to put their invention in the public domain.  Simply publish a
description of it and don't patent it.

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com

jacobsd@mist.cs.orst.edu (Dana Jacobsen) (07/01/90)

What sort of publications qualify as valid places to "publish"
an invention?  For a computer graphics idea such as XOR cursors,
would a group of comp.graphics postings qualify?  Or would the
patent office only accept paper publications.  I suppose this
means that the patent office's software experts should be on
the net.  At least then we could have some expert input to this
train..
Dana Jacobsen                       Oregon State University
jacobsd@cs.orst.edu                   Computer Science
.!hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!jacobsd

lewine@dg.dg.com (Don Lewine) (07/03/90)

In article <19165@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jacobsd@mist.UUCP (Dana Jacobsen) writes:
>What sort of publications qualify as valid places to "publish"
>an invention?  For a computer graphics idea such as XOR cursors,
>would a group of comp.graphics postings qualify?  Or would the
>patent office only accept paper publications.  I suppose this
>means that the patent office's software experts should be on
>the net.  At least then we could have some expert input to this
>train..

The patent office does a fairly minimal search for prior art.  They do not
read usenet posting or even IEEE Transactions.  In general, the courts will
consider any prior art in declaring a patent invalid.

You (the person who wants the patent declared invalid) need to show that the
patent holder did not invent the thing being patented.  If you can prove that
the invention was posted to usenet by someone other than the inventor, the
patent is invalid.  "Prove" may turn out to be the key word here.