[comp.arch] Computers and brainpower

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul4.105554.3880@diku.dk>, njk@diku.dk (Niels J|rgen Kruse) writes:
> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>
> }I agree completely.  But in the next millenium, any intelligent
> }programmer will do better without working hard at these decisions
> }than an automaton.   Why are people in the computer field so
> }determined to get in the way of using brainpower?
> Basically, isn't that what the computer field is all about?

The legitimate purpose of a tool is to help the human.  But what is
happening is an almost deliberate attempt to make sure that the human
cannot use his ingenuity to come up with a better way than the hardware
or software designer has thought of.  The "it wasn't invented here" idea.

> Should we wonder why some people try to carry it too far?

No, but we should not let them get away with it.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)	{purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!cik(UUCP)