[comp.arch] Article from Acorn

RWilson@acorn.co.uk (07/11/90)

In recent article cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) writes:

>You brought up the example of computer chess recently. The fact of the matter
>is that unless you are an international chess master, the program Deep Thought
>will beat you. Why did I mention this? Well, the major reason Deep Thought
>beats excellent chess people is because of its specialized hardware. The
>program operates by a well-known brute force algorithm. My main point is that
>Deep Thought would be useless if the program relied on some set of greasy
>assembler tweaks on some two-bit general purpose CPU.

And if you refer to 20th North American Computer Chess Championship (an
article is in volume 33 number 7 of Communications of the ACM), you can see
the reports of top Chess machines, including the machine which has beaten
Deep Thought. Of the 10 machines, only two were entered using C, 7 use native
assembler and one (Deep Thought) uses special microcode.

All machines are rated 2160 or higher (i.e. beat most humans).

Which machine beat Deep Thought? I'm glad you asked... a 68030 coded in
assembler.

General purpose computing is improving more rapidly than special purpose
hardware, even of the wackier types.

--Roger Wilson

(gosh, I didn't push ARM once, what's going on?)