[comp.arch] Chess Machines

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (07/14/90)

In article <2555@acorn.co.uk> RWilson@acorn.co.uk writes:
>In recent article cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) writes:
>>... the major reason Deep Thought
>>beats excellent chess people is because of its specialized hardware. The
>>program operates by a well-known brute force algorithm. My main point is that
>>Deep Thought would be useless if the program relied on some set of greasy
>>assembler tweaks on some two-bit general purpose CPU.
>   [...]
>Which machine beat Deep Thought? I'm glad you asked... a 68030 coded in
>assembler.
>
>General purpose computing is improving more rapidly than special purpose
>hardware, even of the wackier types.

No, they're on the same curve, because both benefit equally from
improvements in fab technology and in design tools.  The general
purpose systems are usually further along that curve, because
companies put more designers on their flagship items, and put fab
improvements there first.  Notice also that small production runs are
a poor idea if a new fab process needs months of tweaking.  (Small
production runs are a great idea if one is tweaking a new design
tool.)

As for chess machines in particular ... I've held a Deep Thought
board in one hand.  It's a dead ordinary VME board, containing two
independent processors. The current system uses a few boards, each
containing microcode and FPLA code that makes greasy assembler look
straightforward.  But then, it was designed by some very good people,
who saw that as the "high level" alternative to full-custom VLSI
(which they also did).

I would point out that at the Master level, chess ratings are not
linear in the machine power.  The actual truth is currently being
argued about.  Dr. Berliner's HiTech has picked up quite a few rating
points in the last year, strictly through AI (algorithm) improvements
(mostly endgame stuff that runs on the host - I think).

The designers of Deep Thought argue differently, and their current
multiprocessor is rated a GrandMaster, rather higher than the 68030
mentioned above, and in fact higher than all but a few hundred
humans.  The designers argue that a ply (move/response) is worth 200
to 250 rating points, and that each extra ply takes 4x to 6x the
speed. That is, they argue that ratings go as the log of the machine
power. They also argue that they would beat Kasparov if they could go
12 plies instead of their current ten plies.  They are going to get
their chance: they have been funded to build a seriously parallel
machine, with on the order of 1,000 move processors.  They hope for a
parallel speedup on the order of N/2 to N/5, and a processor speedup -
perhaps to 3-5 M nodes/sec.

It should be a very interesting decade.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay