[comp.arch] Fast Re-booting

jackk@shasta.Stanford.EDU (jackk) (07/14/90)

In article <AGLEW.90Jul13165855@oberon.crhc.uiuc.edu> aglew@oberon.crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) writes:

>    A few years ago a customer gave us a <30 second boot after power
>cycle requirement, for a real-time OS. They wanted <10.
>
>This DECstation 3100, with 16MB of memory, and an approximately 300Mb
>local SCSI disk, took 8:19 (eight minutes and nineteen seconds) to
>reboot after powercycle.  That included fsck'ing the disk. Time
>measured from the time I flicked the switch to the time I could log
>in.
>
>That may be good by UNIX standards, but it's not great.  Do you want

The Journaling File System of AIX v 3 (the operating system for
IBM's RS/6000 workstation) avoids the long fsck times at reboot by
using techniques similar to those used to recover database
transactions. FSCK times can become prohibitively long as workstations
begin to attach many gigabytes of storage.

Jack