[comp.arch] 68040 alive? was: Re: Moto's data predicts 68040 . . .)

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (07/18/90)

In article <31821@cup.portal.com>, mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:
> Speaking of 68040 performance, has anyone on the net actually seen one
> running?  I'm trying to collect some data on the current status of the
> chip.

Yup. I have been non-disclosed on the new NeXT product line
and thus was allowed to see their new colour machine when
I was in California in June. It was running a beta version
of their 2.0 release of NeXTstep and has a separate board
to do colour (I can say this as I've read this elsewhere,
I'm not giving out any big secrets). There 68040 upgrade
(already announced) should be shipping as soon as chips
come in quantity.

I did not have the chance to do anything like
benchmarking and it was a little difficult to assess
performance with so many changes (colour, 68040, beta
software, etc) but there was no question that it's faster
than a 68030 NeXT (!) :-) I have the quoted numbers from NeXT, but
I suspect I'm on thin ice here so will hold my tongue. You
should have numbers within a month or two...

I understand NeXT is just about ready to start the
production line on their 68040 products, and are waiting
for 68040's in quantity for Motorola. Expect announcements
at the end of the summer, machines soon after, if all goes
well (and I hope it does, as we plan to buy a passle of
these things, and I'm in the ring if they are very late
with all of this! :-0

				- peterd