[comp.arch] Motorola 68040

DeWeeseT@socrates1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Thomas E. DeWeese) (06/28/90)

Hello I was wondering if, some one could answer my question, it has to do with
the Motorola 68040.  I heard from a reasonably reliable source (-read he may
well be wrong) that there were problems with the 68040 and that Motorola would
be releasing a 68045 that corrected the errors.  I heard this about six
months ago, and since I have had no cofermation of it I was wondering what
you people knew?
			Any info would be appreciated
				Thomas DeWeese
DeWeeseT@rdrd.rpi.edu
deweeset@turing.cs.rpi.edu

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/30/90)

In article <7MJ$L}_@rpi.edu>, DeWeeseT@socrates1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Thomas E. DeWeese) writes:
> Hello I was wondering if, some one could answer my question, it has to do with
> the Motorola 68040.  I heard from a reasonably reliable source (-read he may
> well be wrong) that there were problems with the 68040 and that Motorola would
> be releasing a 68045 that corrected the errors.  I heard this about six
> months ago, and since I have had no cofermation of it I was wondering what
> you people knew?

Motorola usually doesn't change a part number to fix bugs.  They just
put a warning paragraph in the spec sheet giving dates and mask revision
codes.  Sounds bogus.

Markz@ssc.uucp

In article <865@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>In article <7MJ$L}_@rpi.edu>, DeWeeseT@socrates1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Thomas E. DeWeese) writes:
>> Hello I was wondering if, some one could answer my question, it has to do with
>> the Motorola 68040.  I heard from a reasonably reliable source (-read he may
>> well be wrong) that there were problems with the 68040 and that Motorola would
>> be releasing a 68045 that corrected the errors.  I heard this about six
>> months ago, and since I have had no cofermation of it I was wondering what
>> you people knew?
>
>Motorola usually doesn't change a part number to fix bugs.  They just
>put a warning paragraph in the spec sheet giving dates and mask revision
>codes.  Sounds bogus.

	As do most processor makers.  Look at the 80386/80486 bug sheets (or
should I say books... :-)

	It would be hard for Motorola to have to release an 68045 when they
haven't released the 68040 yet, anyways.  6 Months ago, samples weren't
even available outside Motorola.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"