[comp.arch] Beating pinout by voltage domain multiplexing

Daniel.Stodolsky@CS.CMU.EDU (07/17/90)

Several recent posters have commented on the fact that many systems are
currently limited by the pinout of their chips, and shrinking transistor
sizes won't make this much easier. One possible solution  is to go to
wafer scale integration, but this brings about problems of its own.
Different packaging schemes can increase the pinout somewhat, but one
still gets stuck after a while.

One current approach to get around this problem is (time domain)
mutliplexing of the pins. The I860, for instance, mulitplexes the data
bus. But this doesn't increase the maximum number of signals one can
pump in or out of a chip per cycle.

IDEA: Why not voltage domain multiplex? On a given pin,  one signal
could come in at either  -3 or +3 volts for 0 and 1, and a second signal
could come in at -1 or +1 volts for 0 and 1. A little extra logic would
be needed to decode the signal, but one could get a doubling of the
number of signals for a given packaging scheme. Of course, if your
voltage sources can be precisely controlled, there's no reason why you
couldn't put 3 or 4 signals per pin...

Comments?

Dan Stodolsky
Engr. Design Research Center
Carnegie Mellon University
danner@miracle.edrc.cmu.edu

In article <sacmZI_00hMNQmYF0k@cs.cmu.edu> Daniel.Stodolsky@CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>IDEA: Why not voltage domain multiplex? On a given pin,  one signal
>could come in at either  -3 or +3 volts for 0 and 1, and a second signal
>could come in at -1 or +1 volts for 0 and 1. A little extra logic would
>be needed to decode the signal, but one could get a doubling of the
>number of signals for a given packaging scheme...

I think the big problem with this is that the chippies :-) have enough
trouble getting a binary signal from chip to chip in haste.  Multi-level
signals will narrow the noise margins, meaning more delay to let voltages
settle if you want reliable transmission.  Pin count is not quite the
bugaboo it used to be, with pin-grid arrays and the like avoiding the
limitations of DIPs.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/20/90)

The limiting factor on pin driver bandwidth is what analog engineers
call "slew rate", i.e. how fast you can change the voltage on a pin per unit
time.  Note that in your scheme, the transition time is different for
0 to 1 vs. 0 to 2 or 0 to 3.  If you have an 8-bit integer bus, represented
by four wires, the fastest you can sample the bus is the slowest transition
between states, i.e. 0 to 3.

Now if you were talking about multiplexing a binary voltage change with
a binary current change, that might work.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/21/90)

An even better method of sending two signals down one line is to use
thermoelectric drivers and receivers.  In a thermoelectric circuit, heating
or cooling is produced when current flows across a junction of dissimilar
metals or semiconductors.  The heating and cooling effects around the circuit
add up to zero, of course.

Whether heating or cooling will occur at a junction is controlled by
the direction of current flow and intrinsic properties of the metals or
semiconductors (properties which are related to the work function of the
materials).

The multiplexing is achieved with four states:

+5 hot
+5 cold
0  hot
0  cold

Note that a junction between material A and material B which heats up
when current I passes through it will cool down by an equal amount when
current -I passes through it, hence the heating and cooling effects
cancel when the signal takes a jog through another material, for example
if the aluminum bond wire on one chip passes through a copper pc trace
to connect to the aluminum bond wire of another chip.  This means that
the materials used for the pc traces, lead frame, bond wires, etc., can be
disregarded.  The only important junctions are those in the driver and
the receiver.

Oh yes, musn't forget this -->  :-)

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (07/21/90)

In article <31906@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
[. . .]

> Now if you were talking about multiplexing a binary voltage change with
> a binary current change, that might work.

What ever happened to Ohm's Law?

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/22/90)

Yet another way to send two signals down one wire would be to have two
power supply rails.  One would be an ordinary 5V power supply;  the
other would be a source of muons (i.e. mu mesons).  A muon is a negatively
charged particle which can take the place of an electron in an atom.
It's much heavier, though.  The power supply would be somewhat expensive,
because it would need to include a small cyclotron.

Note that while our notational convention suggests current flows from
positive to negative, the actual movement of electrons is from negative
to positive.  Therefore our two power rails would have to be below
ground.  Also note that in most logic families, the driver is a current
sink at one logic level and a current source at the other logic level.
We'd have to invent a new logic where the driver is a source at both
levels, otherwise we would only have 3 logic states:

0
-5  (heavy)
-5  (light)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (07/22/90)

In article <28851.26a72efa@ccavax.camb.com>, merriman@ccavax writes:
| In article <31906@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
| [. . .]
| >
| > Now if you were talking about multiplexing a binary voltage change with
| > a binary current change, that might work.
|
| What ever happened to Ohm's Law?

It got repealed by congress as an attachment the last year's "War on
Drugs" mega-bill.

Just wait 'til they do that with the Law of Gravity.

:-)

Just another example of "your tax dollars at work",
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |