[comp.arch] What's wrong with CRT storage?

jsp@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Prothero) (08/04/90)

A recent discussion here focussed on the
difficulty of building nonrotating optical
mass storage due to difficulty of steering
the beam.  Why not use electron beams to
read/write nonrotating electric mass storage?

Points in favor:

o  Established technology -- used in some of
   the earliest computers :-).  More seriously,
   CRT tubes *are* a well-developed technology
   in general.

o  Potential storage density higher than optical.
   (We use scanning electron microscopes to see
   features too small for optical microscopes.)

o  Potential low seek times.  How long does it
   take a really fast oscilliscope to seek side-
   to-side?

o  Potential non-volatile storage.  EEPROMs and
   electrets show that electric charge *can* be
   stored for considerable periods.

Is there some fundamental reason electron-beam
mass storage can't compete with optical and
magnetic mass storage?  Has any work been done
on this since the 50s?

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (08/04/90)

In article <JSP.90Aug3123600@milton.u.washington.edu>
	jsp@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Prothero) writes:
>Why not use electron beams to
>read/write nonrotating electric mass storage?
>Has any work been done
>on this since the 50s?

Yes, there has been work on this in the last decade or so.

>o  Potential storage density higher than optical.
>   (We use scanning electron microscopes to see
>   features too small for optical microscopes.)

Electron beams can indeed be small.  However, the charge has to be
stored.  The last proposal I remember was going to fabricate
capacitors onto a wafer.  This differs from a DRAM in that the beam
replaces some or all of the wiring pattern.  Also, this is wafer-
scale, of course.

I'm not sure what happened.  Perhaps the fabrication people refused
to stop improving DRAM.  Perhaps it was the bulk of the tube. Maybe
it was the lack of parallelism - one beam means one bit wide, no?  Or
maybe the projects are still going on.  I know that some things, like
CCD memory, died in spite of being viable. ( CCD was intrinsically
about twice as dense as DRAM, but a factor of two is just a one-year
phase angle in this business.)

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay

elg@cypress.UUCP ( Marketing) (08/05/90)

Electron beam addressable memory has been worked on since the 50's.  The
Magnetic Peripherals Inc. subsidiary of Control Data Corp. (now Imprimus,
a subsidiary of Segate) had a working design in the late 70's.  There
were multiple problems with storage tube arcing and relative density to
magnetic media, but it was fast.  I believe each storage tube had an
addressable matrix of 1024x1024 bits.  The controller supported multiple
tubes.

The acronym for the machine was EBAM and it used a controller I believe
based on the old CDC 5600 MPP.  This controller was quite fast for its
day but would be replaced by a small handfull of chips today.

Ed Grivna
Cypress Semiconductor

lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (08/05/90)

In article <JSP.90Aug3123600@milton.u.washington.edu> jsp@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Prothero) writes:
>Is there some fundamental reason electron-beam
>mass storage can't compete with optical and
>magnetic mass storage?  Has any work been done
>on this since the 50s?

CRT's produce a fair amount of radiation.  I'd just as soon not add to the
amount of zapping I get.
---
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com