[comp.arch] Threaded interpretive languages and other such ilk

wbeebe@bilver.UUCP (Bill Beebe) (08/06/90)

In article <HD+4P=2@ggpc2.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>If you *really* want space efficiency the obvious thing to do is write in
>Forth, or some other threaded language. Writing in assembler to save memory
>is like writing in COBOL to improve readability. That way you retain quite
>a high level of portability, you can still implement the critical code in
>machine dependent fashion, and you save a *lot* more space than an assembly
>implementation.

To support assembler *and* Forthism, you could use the Harris chip (correct
me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's something like the RTX-2000). The Harris
chip, with it's instruction set Forth in hardware, would give you the best
of both worlds - of you're so inclined.