[comp.arch] Mips at 150 mips ???

sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) (07/27/90)

Ok, I finally have net access again, so I'll try asking this question
again.

A few months ago Business Week (reliable source?) reported that Sony
had produced a version of the Mips architecture that was running at
150 Mips.  It also said that they were trying to get %50 more out of
it.  I assume that they are making a version of the R6000 that runs
this fast (150 MHz), but does anyone have more details?

Thanks.

yuhara@minako.stars.flab.fujitsu.co.jp (Masanobu Yuhara) (08/06/90)

In article <14900012@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
 >A few months ago Business Week (reliable source?) reported that Sony
 >had produced a version of the Mips architecture that was running at
 >150 Mips.  It also said that they were trying to get %50 more out of
 >it.  I assume that they are making a version of the R6000 that runs
 >this fast (150 MHz), but does anyone have more details?

According to Nikkei-Sangyo-Newspaper on May 2,
sony's chip is targeted at 150 MIPS, planed to be completed in 1992.
At the time of its contract in last August, the target was 100MIPS.
Sony increased 50% because the development is going smoothly.

Sony plans to use it for NEWS (Sony's NEt WorkStation) first,
then sell it to outside.

----
Masanobu Yuhara
Fujitsu Laboratories