[comp.arch] [comp.arch...] SCSI

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug17.134957.735@math.lsa.umich.edu> T-Com@nixbur.UUCP (T-Com) writes:

>Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
>

>Hi,
>
>	I would like to know what SCSI is all about. Why it
>	is so popular today? What makes it unique when compared
>	to other bus standards like VME eventhough it achieves
>	a throughput of only 5MB/sec?  Advantages and Disadvantages
>	when compared to other bus stands..and so on..
>
>	Any references would also be helpful..
>
>Vijay
>(vijay.bur@nixdorf.com.uunet)

VME is a bus standard for backplanes.

SCSI is a standard for a "distributed bus", ie the peripherals are
all at the end of cables.

You would not want the sole link between a memory card and the CPU
to be a SCSI bus.  But SCSI works well for mass storage, printers
and scanners.

It is popular because it is faster than most peripherals, so you don't
loose performance in your bus.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.