[comp.arch] Current Microprocessors

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (08/13/90)

i am interested in getting a list of current generation in
Microprocessors, only CPUs ; as far as i am sure the only ones i am aware
are the i486 INTEL, 68040 Motorolla; i know a lot exist, but am not sure of
their names/numbers; (mind you only CPUs); could use some help in this;
-thanx

-savel

goss@attila.WEITEK.COM (Richard Goss) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.133452.4555@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>i am interested in getting a list of current generation in
>Microprocessors, only CPUs ; as far as i am sure the only ones i am aware
>are the i486 INTEL, 68040 Motorolla; i know a lot exist, but am not sure of
>their names/numbers; (mind you only CPUs); could use some help in this;
>-thanx
>
>-savel

Since you mention CPU's which are (or can be used) typically used in UNIX
based workstations, as opposed to CPU's which are primarily intended for
embedded controller applications, the following list is of a similar vein
of the latest generation of announced CPU's (in no particular order):

MIPS R3000 (IDT, Performance, LSI Logic, NEC, Seimens)
Sparc L64801 (LSI Logic)
Sparc MB86901 (Fujitsu)
Sparc CY7C601 (Cypress)
AMD29000 (AMD)
MC88100 (Motorola) (The 88200 is a companion cache/mmu)
NS32532 (National)
i860 (Intel)
Clipper C300 (Intergraph)
HP PA (Precision Architecture) (Hitachi)
Prism (HP/Apollo) (Not sold in merchant market)
America (IBM) (Not sold in merchant market)

There are some Japanese designed CPU's based on the TRON O/S such as the
Hitachi Gmicro 300, but to my best knowledge, they have extremely small
market (or design-in) share.

torbenm@sleipner.diku.dk (Torben [gidius Mogensen) (08/15/90)

goss@attila.WEITEK.COM (Richard Goss) writes:

>In article <1990Aug13.133452.4555@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>>
>>i am interested in getting a list of current generation in
>>Microprocessors, only CPUs ; as far as i am sure the only ones i am aware
>>are the i486 INTEL, 68040 Motorolla; i know a lot exist, but am not sure of
>>their names/numbers; (mind you only CPUs); could use some help in this;
>>-thanx
>>
>>-savel

>Since you mention CPU's which are (or can be used) typically used in UNIX
>based workstations, as opposed to CPU's which are primarily intended for
>embedded controller applications, the following list is of a similar vein
>of the latest generation of announced CPU's (in no particular order):

[list deleted]

You forgot the ARM3 (VT 8????) from Acorn / VLSI Technologies. It is
used e.g. in the R200 series of UNIX workstations from Acorn.

	Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)

conor@cheetah.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug13.133452.4555@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>i am interested in getting a list of current generation in
>Microprocessors, only CPUs ; as far as i am sure the only ones i am aware
>are the i486 INTEL, 68040 Motorolla; i know a lot exist, but am not sure of
>their names/numbers; (mind you only CPUs); could use some help in this;
>-thanx
>
>-savel

How about:
INMOS IMS T400
      IMS T425
      IMS T800 (includes FPU)

---
Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd., UK.
UK: conor@inmos.co.uk		US: conor@inmos.com
"It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".