[comp.arch] time of year clocks

In article <26196@bellcore.bellcore.com> mo@messy.bellcore.com
(Michael O'Dell) writes:
>There was also a real-time clock chip which was used primarily
>to remember the time when the machine was turned off. (Is seems
>obvious that a million-dollar computer would be expected to provide
>at least the functionality of a $10 digital watch, but people
>took some serious convincing of that...)

I am constantly amazed at the machines that do *not* have these things.
If I have to pay more than a few thousand dollars for computer equipment,
I really am not going to mind paying a hundred more for something that can
tell (at least approximately) what time it is.  $100 should certainly
cover the cost of designing in some random watch chip + glue logic +
battery + diode-to-keep-battery-from-overcharging....
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

aglew@dwarfs.crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (08/26/90)

>    	    	    	    	    	    	    	    (Is seems
>>obvious that a million-dollar computer would be expected to provide
>>at least the functionality of a $10 digital watch, but people
>>took some serious convincing of that...)
>
>I am constantly amazed at the machines that do *not* have these things.

At a XYZZY User's Group meeting question and answer session:

    A customer asks the XYZZY representative why XYZZY don't
    have battery backed up real time clocks.

    The XYZZY representative says "We don't feel that our customers need
    this functionality".

    The customer asks the audience of XYZZY customers "Who wants a real clock?"

    99% say they do.

    Next Monday design of real-time clock module begins.

Part of the trouble is that market research in the computer market
isn't all that sophisticated.  The market research questionnaires from
the vendor are usually filled out by the purchasing office, or some
executive.  All that management knows is that engineering doesn't like
the XYZZY machine, but they don't necessarily know the exact reasons.
And minor problems like not having a real-time clock tend to get lost
or forgotten in the list of complaints about the FORTRAN compiler, OS
stability, etc.
    Sometimes you have to rank the desirability of features not only
by their customer work-stopping importance, but also by their
annoyance factor, and the ease of fixing the problem.

--
Andy Glew, a-glew@uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]

colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (08/28/90)

>>> (Is seems
>>> obvious that a million-dollar computer would be expected to provide
>>> at least the functionality of a $10 digital watch, but people
>>> took some serious convincing of that...)

>> I am constantly amazed at the machines that do *not* have these things.

When I was at Cogent Research, we threw on a time-of-day clock and 32K
of battery-backed-up RAM mostly because all the PCs and Macs we used
had them and if we're going to charge $xx,000 for our box, we ought to
have the toy features, as well.  The audio circuity was there on an
even thinner excuse.  We spent some NRE time isolating noise from
the audio circuits, choosing the speaker and designing the case to
accomodate it, (it's a 3.5" speaker, facing straight out the front of
the machine, and mounted on an internal panel so the bass doesn't "leak
around" and get lost... it sounds amazingly good after listening to a
Mac), and I think they'd do it again.  All these features have debugging
value (diagnostic routines and fatal error handlers log their activity
in NVRAM for post-mortems), and they're easy to add: just schlung 'em
on the same 8-bit bus you're using for serial ports, floppy controllers,
and the like.  Maybe one day they'll use part of that NVRAM for a write-behind
buffer for the disks.  Mostly, it's handy to have around, and the cost
doesn't compare to 15ns SRAMS and transmission-line analysis and all that;
it's a handful of commodity parts and easy, 1-MHz engineering.
--
	-Colin