[comp.arch] Accurate computations

scorpion@titan.rice.edu (Vernon Lee) (08/28/90)

In article <2482@l.cc.purdue.edu> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>There are plenty of mathematical calculations which need lots of computing,
>but use little data.  I doubt if these vaunted machines will be much good
>at a three-dimensional numerical integral, for example.  And how good is
>their integer arithmetic?  If accurate calculation is needed, and this is
>not all that unusual, floating point is essentially useless.

In your experience, what do people who want accurate calculations use?
I have been working on constructive real arithmetic packages for a few
years now, and am curious as to what is used 'in practical experience'.

--
    "The Movement You Need is on Your Shoulder"
		- John Lennon's favorite line from "Hey, Jude"

-=- Vernon Lee -=- Warning: Myers-Briggs INTP -=- scorpion@rice.edu -=-