[comp.arch] Fuzzy Processors

geoff@hls0.hls.oz (Geoff Bull) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.134207.5157@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>processors going to be around 3 yrs. from now; i am trying to get in touch
>which the japanese companies who developed the fuzzy processors; having a
>very uneasy feeling that, it's going to be the future;

Whats a fuzzy processor?

I have heard of fuzzy logic but don't know much about it.

How do you build a processor that calculates with "I'm quite sure"s ??

--
Geoff Bull (Senior Engineer)	Phone  : (+61 48) 68 3490
Highland Logic Pty. Ltd.	Fax    : (+61 48) 68 3474

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (08/15/90)

In article <851@hls0.hls.oz> geoff@hls0.highland.oz.au (Geoff Bull) writes:
>Whats a fuzzy processor?
>
>I have heard of fuzzy logic but don't know much about it.
>
>How do you build a processor that calculates with "I'm quite sure"s ??

fuzzy processors (apparently) work on the same principle as fuzzylogic; on
'normal' processors the bottom line logic element is a flip-flop; in fuzzy
processor, i believe, the bottom-line-processor is a comparator; don't
know anything else; i have only the industrial Engg. point of view; not
the hardware specs; japan has got out a F.P. in the last 2 months
(Newsweek around 4-5 issues back) presently ther are limited only to ASIC
with the intention of getting into commercial processors;

-savel

beckmann@endor.harvard.edu (Gary Beckmann) (08/16/90)

I saw the Newsweek article and basically thought it had been a slow
week and someone basically wrote up a news release.  (I really think
it reflects the racist slant of Newsweek -- trying to stir up a new
yellow scare -- but I'll post *that* to alt.conspiracy).

My feeling is that I don't really need a chip to do what I do so well
-- think fuzzy, recognize patterns and speech.  Every lay person seems
to think that AI will allow us to replace humans with computers.  They
don't seem to realize that a machine that thinks fuzzily will be as
prone to mistakes as a human -- and for the same reasons.

And since I'm bordering on a flame here, could some one please post or
mail me a copy of the comp.arch  charter?  Thank you in advance.
--
					Gary Beckmann

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (08/17/90)

In article <BECKMANN.90Aug15211716@endor.harvard.edu> beckmann@endor.harvard.edu (Gary Beckmann) writes:

>My feeling is that I don't really need a chip to do what I do so well
>-- think fuzzy, recognize patterns and speech.  Every lay person seems
>to think that AI will allow us to replace humans with computers.  They
>don't seem to realize that a machine that thinks fuzzily will be as
>prone to mistakes as a human -- and for the same reasons.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quite on the contrary; it is supposed to be 'self-correcting';
options/mistakes are stored in a data-base where from it makes a
selection; also this is a very vague desription of the field, and i am not
qualified to make any tech. remarks

-savel

yilmazer@suns01.UUCP (Sedat Yilmazer) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug16.211919.6468@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

>quite on the contrary; it is supposed to be 'self-correcting';
                                              ???????????????
 After you made the mistake ??? ( "Sorry for that bridge, it was designed
by an expert system but we are sure that that will not happem again. ?:) )

>options/mistakes are stored in a data-base where from it makes a
         ???????????????????

 /  /  |\   /| ~|~  | Sedat Yilmazer   | Tel:  277222465
 \ (-  | | /-|  |   | Alcatel Austria  | telex 277222146
 /  \  |/ /  |  |   | Scheydg 41 A-1211| Home  2679825

--

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (09/02/90)

In article <600@suns01.UUCP> yilmazer@suns01.Nowhere (Sedat Yilmazer) writes:
>>In article <BECKMANN.90Aug15211716@endor.harvard.edu> beckmann@endor.harvard.edu (Gary Beckmann) writes:
>>>don't seem to realize that a machine that thinks fuzzily will be as
>>>prone to mistakes as a human -- and for the same reasons.
>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>In article <1990Aug16.211919.6468@hoss.unl.edu> savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>>
>>quite on the contrary; it is supposed to be 'self-correcting';
>                                              ???????????????
> After you made the mistake ??? ( "Sorry for that bridge, it was designed
>by an expert system but we are sure that that will not happem again. ?:) )

Ok, so we put in a regular processor. Let the fuzzy processing unit come up
with ideas and the vague stuff and feed that information to the regular
processor for verification. I don't think that fuzzy logic computers are
going to be used for building bridges any time soon. Their best uses are
in fields where humans are currently better. The advantage of using a
computer instead of a human is that you get a much faster interface
between the computer and the fuzzy thinker. (Of course it is often
cheaper to hire a fuzzy computer than a human.)

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  /   HP S /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /   48 X /