[comp.arch] Hardware Magazines

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (08/30/90)

Is there a good 'magazine'  discussing haradware issues ? BYTE and
PCWORLD are OK but not good; they tend to discuss too much only IBM
or sometimes MAC; they don't go too deep, instead they talk more at
a user level; is there a jounal/mag. which discusses the latest issues in
hardware ? could i also have particulars re. subscripsions? (excuse
spelling)

-savel

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (08/30/90)

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>Is there a good 'magazine'  discussing haradware issues ?

Hmmm, not sure what you're looking for. If you're looking for a magazine
geared toward hobbyists and small "embedded systems," you might try
Circuit Cellar Ink.  Steve Ciarcia (of Byte "Circuit Cellar" fame)
is the founder and editorial director. You won't find much on the
latest/greatest/fastest CPUs, though; the emphasis is on small, relatively
inexpensive stuff.

	Circuit Cellar Ink
	ISSN 0896-8985

	Circuit Cellar Ink, subscriptions
	P.O. Box 3050-C
	Southeastern, PA 19398
	(215) 630-1914

	6 issues (1 year) for $14.95

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (09/01/90)

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>Is there a good 'magazine'  discussing haradware issues ?

If I may be forgiven a small bit of self-promotion:

While it is a newsletter, not a magazine, Microprocessor Report
has had the most detailed coverage of new microprocessor hardware
of any publication in the three years we've been publishing.  We've
focused on new high-end processors, but also cover embedded controllers,
PC and workstation design, and occasional peripheral and memory issues.
Our emphasis is on chip-level products for designers building microprocessor-
based systems.

There are several key differences between newsletters and magazines:

  1. Magazines get most or all of their income from advertisers,
     while newsletters get all their income from subscribers.
  2. Magazines are written by journalists and PR people, while
     newsletters are written by experts in the technology and business.

Because of these differences, Microprocessor Report provides more depth and
more critical coverage than magazines, but it is relatively expensive
($395/year,  24 issues)

Michael Slater, Editor and Publisher, Microprocessor Report
mslater@cup.portal.com  707/823-4004  fax: 707/823-0504
874 Gravenstein Hwy. So., Suite 14; Sebastopol, CA 95472

cprice@mips.COM (Charlie Price) (09/04/90)

In article <33434@cup.portal.com> mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:
>savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:
>>Is there a good 'magazine'  discussing haradware issues ?
>
>While it is a newsletter, not a magazine, Microprocessor Report
>has had the most detailed coverage of new microprocessor hardware
>of any publication in the three years we've been publishing.  We've
>focused on new high-end processors, but also cover embedded controllers,
>PC and workstation design, and occasional peripheral and memory issues.
>Our emphasis is on chip-level products for designers building microprocessor-
>based systems.
>
>There are several key differences between newsletters and magazines:
>
>  1. Magazines get most or all of their income from advertisers,
>     while newsletters get all their income from subscribers.
>  2. Magazines are written by journalists and PR people, while
>     newsletters are written by experts in the technology and business.
>
>Because of these differences, Microprocessor Report provides more depth and
>more critical coverage than magazines, but it is relatively expensive
>($395/year,  24 issues)
>
>Michael Slater, Editor and Publisher, Microprocessor Report
>mslater@cup.portal.com  707/823-4004  fax: 707/823-0504
>874 Gravenstein Hwy. So., Suite 14; Sebastopol, CA 95472
>>>to request a sample copy, send your US mail address to deena@cup.portal.com.

Let me add an enthusiastic (and unpaid!) endorsement for
Microprocessor Report.  If you are in the microprocessor biz
or interested in it, this is an extremely interesting
and useful publication.  As Michael points out, the newsletter
"relatively expensive" making it something more in the nature of
a business expense than something an individual would be likely to take.
You should definitely get a sample copy if you believe your "business"
might pay for a very condensed and timely report on the industry.

I should also point out that you can read some of
Michael Slater's writing in the (recently added) column
Micro View in the "IEEE Micro" magazine.
The magazine itself is less than stellar, but I've found
Michael's columns to be quite interesting.
The August 90 column is on the failings of the patent system.
--
Charlie Price    cprice@mips.mips.com        (408) 720-1700
MIPS Computer Systems / 928 Arques Ave. / Sunnyvale, CA   94086-23650