[comp.arch] 68040 vs 68882 on transcendentals

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (09/11/90)

In article <1477@marlin.NOSC.MIL> aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:

  >I got a feeling that the 040 will do the transcendental functions with ieee
  >sp (32-bit) real fast (probably quicker and just as accurate as the 68882
  >at the same clock), but the ieeedp (64-bits) is going to require a bit of
  >igenuity (magic) me thinks.  Just my opinion at this time.....

I suspect the 040 will be able to keep with, and probably beat, the 882
on IEEE 64bit transcendental functions.  Have a look at IEEE Micro, June
1988, p. 54.  There's a table showing the cycle counts for doing the
trigonometric function "sine", for the '882 and for a RISC machine that
only implements four FP operations  *,-,/,+.  The 882 takes three times as
many clocks as the RISC.  (Both @ 25MHz -- remember, it was 1988).  I suspect
the 040 is nowhere near as bad as 3x worse than a RISC :-), meaning that the
040 will also beat the 882.

Disclaimer, caveat, and surgeon general's warning: I was one of the authors
                                                   of the IEEE Micro article.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086