[comp.arch] DEC Workstations

dinesh@clear3.utdallas.edu (Dinesh Bhatia) (09/27/90)

I am trying to find out actual difference(s) between DEC 2100 station and
DEC 3300 station. Both machines use same CPU, have same description in DEC
catalog etc. Only difference that I can see is clock speed is different for
then two. Is clock speed difference a marketting issue ? Can someone more
knowledgeable give me the exact differences between these two machines.
Regarding : peripherals, justification on price difference, etc.

Also, how do these machines compare with SUN IPC workstations ? DEC claims
their workstations to be better than SUN IPC and vice versa.

--dinesh

In article <8584@helios.TAMU.EDU> dinesh@clear3.utdallas.edu (Dinesh Bhatia) writes:
>I am trying to find out actual difference(s) between DEC 2100 station and
>DEC 3300 station. Both machines use same CPU, have same description in DEC
>catalog etc. Only difference that I can see is clock speed is different...

As John Mashey is fond of pointing out, the CPU is the easiest part of
the design of a modern computer.  You just drop in the chip.  It's not
rare to find two machines which use the same CPU chip but have vastly
different performance, typically because the bigger one has a faster
memory system, more i/o bandwidth, and better expandability.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.145310.23881@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <8584@helios.TAMU.EDU> dinesh@clear3.utdallas.edu (Dinesh Bhatia) writes:
>>I am trying to find out actual difference(s) between DEC 2100 station and
>>DEC 3300 station. Both machines use same CPU, have same description in DEC
>>catalog etc. Only difference that I can see is clock speed is different...

>As John Mashey is fond of pointing out, the CPU is the easiest part of
>the design of a modern computer.  You just drop in the chip.  It's not
>rare to find two machines which use the same CPU chip but have vastly
>different performance, typically because the bigger one has a faster
>memory system, more i/o bandwidth, and better expandability.

Although, in the case of DS 2100 vs 3100 (3300 isn't known to me),
it IS a clock-rate difference.

If you really want to see how different machines can get that use the
same CPU at the same clock rate, read Byte, Or Personal Workstation,
or UNIX Review, and see the performance differences on Intel X86-based
products, which have even more wildly-varying combinations of
different kinds of caches & memory systems, as well as having
Weitek FP coprocessors, or not, and very different compilers.
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700