[comp.arch] Historical architectural advances???

CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) (09/27/90)

I posted the following article in alt.folklore.computers. I have
decided to ask the readers of comp.arch their opinions. I am more
interested in comments regarding advances in architecture rather
than anything else. I have left the article intact, even though some
of the systems listed below were not great advances in architectural
terms.

Do others agree with me that the Atlas was a quantum leap forwards
and that my facetious comment comparing it to a VAX might
not be so far off the mark after all?

Article from alt.folklore.computers:

What were the most significant computers of the third generation
(that is, between 1963 and 1978?)? I'm interested in anyones'
opinions, but to start the ball rolling, here's a short list
of computers and the reasons why I chose them...

Ferranti Atlas
	- a Vax delivered 15 years early

IBM 360
	- what more can I say...

DEC PDP-6, PDP-10
	- the first commercially available general purpose timesharing
	  system.

DEC PDP-8
	- the first low-cost lab/desktop system

DEC PDP-11
	- long life (20 years), general purpose system. Unix!

CDC 6000
	- The first supercomputer (Cray's last CDC system)

Buroughs 5500
	- A high level architecture (Algol based)

DEC VAX-11/780
	- first commercial supermini.

What about some of the smaller (no longer operating) companies, such as
RCA, General Electric, Honeywell, Univac etc.

In article <4713@latvax8.lat.oz> CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:

| DEC PDP-6, PDP-10
| 	- the first commercially available general purpose timesharing
| 	  system.

  GE was delivering the 265 in 1966, what was the timeframe of the PDP-6?

| What about some of the smaller (no longer operating) companies, such as
| RCA, General Electric, Honeywell, Univac etc.

  GE sold to Honeywell, was #4 or #5 at the time of the sale, systems
with that instruction set are still being sold. Univac merged to be
Sperry-Univac, then remerged to be UNISYS. I don't know if the Univac
instruction set is included in current offerings, they certainly don't
seem to have merged their other lines much.

    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

lum@clipper.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (09/28/90)

In article <2696@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <4713@latvax8.lat.oz> CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
>
>| DEC PDP-6, PDP-10
>|  - the first commercially available general purpose timesharing system.
>
>  GE was delivering the 265 in 1966, what was the timeframe of the PDP-6?

Here's a brief excerpt from _The History of TOPS_ by Peter J Hurley,
manager of software enginerring for the PDP-6/10 product line, as
presented at the Spring 1984 DECUS Symposium:

	The PDP-6 was first shipped in June of 1964.  It was followed
	by the KA-10 in 1967, about 1.5 times the power of the PDP-6.
	The KI-10, about 1.8 times the KA-10, was released in 1972.
	The KL-10 was introduced in 1975 [sic] for TOPS-10, about 2.5
	times the KI.  In 1972 [sic], the first TOPS-20 KL-10 was
	released.  In 1978, the 2060 [KL-10 Model B], 2020 [KS-10],
	and 1091 came out.

Maybe I should post the whole thing to `alt.folklore.computers'?

Lum
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."
-------

In article <2696@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
> [Of Univac->Sperry->Unisys] I don't know if the Univac
> instruction set is included in current offerings, they certainly don't
> seem to have merged their other lines much.

Sure is. We have a test-floor full of Unisys 1100 and 2200 boxes downstairs.

UNISYS also continues to sell the Burroughs A-series processors, and a whole
line of relabeled 680x0 and 80x86 UNIX boxes (Sequent, ARIX, CT) as well as
the older Burroughs relabeled BTOS/CTOS bookshelf machines. And all run
MAPPER (one of those lives-in-its-own-world-database-languages that they
call 4GLs) :->.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`