[comp.arch] GE Instruction Set

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (09/28/90)

From article <2696@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, by davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr):
> In article <4713@latvax8.lat.oz> CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
>

>   GE sold to Honeywell, was #4 or #5 at the time of the sale, systems
> with that instruction set are still being sold. Univac merged to be
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Which Machine is this ?
> Sperry-Univac, then remerged to be UNISYS. I don't know if the Univac
> instruction set is included in current offerings, they certainly don't
It is, they are now called 2200, formerly 1100.
> seem to have merged their other lines much.
R. Kirchner

In article <6828@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) writes:

| >   GE sold to Honeywell, was #4 or #5 at the time of the sale, systems
| > with that instruction set are still being sold. Univac merged to be
|        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Which Machine is this ?

  It was the GE 600 line, then the GE 6000 line, Then Honeywell 6000,
then some with 66's and 68's (66 was for GCOS, 68 for Multics), then DPS
line. They are still available, although I think parts are made in Japan
now.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (10/01/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  It was the GE 600 line, then the GE 6000 line, Then Honeywell 6000,
>then some with 66's and 68's (66 was for GCOS, 68 for Multics), then DPS
>line. They are still available, although I think parts are made in Japan
>now.

  The largest machine in the line (DPS-90) is made in Japan by NEC,
and the smaller (:-)) ones in Phoenix on an assembly line designed
by Toshiba.  A real example of technology transfer -- back!

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just