[comp.arch] Terradata architecures

nick@bilpin.UUCP (nick) (09/22/90)

NCR launched their new System 3000 range last week which comprises seven
levels of uni's, multi's and parallel architecures all based on the 80486.
The top two levels (6 & 7) are being built via a technology exchange
agreement with Terradata (NCR owns 10% of the company).

The marketoid at the launch had no information on the Terradata achitecture
except that it was parallel and was based on their YNet bus technology. He
also mentioned that the level seven machine, a massively parallel system
(1000's of 80486s') due for release in '92, uses a ByNet bus architecture.
Unfortunately he was not able to provide any real technical information.

Can anyone explain the Terradata architecture ?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Price          SRL Data        || Apple link : UK0001
1 Perren Street     London NW5 3ED  || UUCP	  : nick@bilpin.uucp
Phone:              +44 1 485 6665  || Path	  : nick@bilpin.co.uk

gottlieb@allan.ultra.nyu.edu (Allan Gottlieb) (09/25/90)

I assume others more familiar with Teradata will supply more info but,
since it is briefly covered in my book*, I feel obligated to reply :-).

Teradata's DBC/1012 is topologically a tree of upto 1024 processors
operating in MIMD message-passing mode (no shared memory).  The name
1012 stands for 10 to the 12th, i.e. a terabyte.  Only the leaves of
the tree are processors.  Interior nodes form the Y-net.  This allows
broadcasts down the tree from the root and hence a msg can be sent to
the root and then broadcast down.  Moreover the Y-net nodes can sort
the two inputs from their two children and hence data from the leaves
can be sorted "for free" on the way up to the root.

A datasystem affords two main sources of parallelism: among (simple)
transactions and within (complex) transactions.  The DBC is designed
for the second category.  Ten-relation joins on 4-GB to 10-GB tables
have been reported for a 208-processor configuration.

Allan Gottlieb
NYU Ultracomputer Project

* George Almasi and Allan Gottlieb,
Highly Parallel Computing
Benjamin Cummings
ISBN 0-8053-0177-1
--
Allan Gottlieb
gottlieb@nyu.edu

stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) (09/28/90)

In article <211@bilpin.UUCP> nick@bilpin.UUCP (nick) writes:
>NCR launched their new System 3000 range last week which comprises seven
>levels of uni's, multi's and parallel architecures all based on the 80486.
>
>The marketoid at the launch had no information on the Terradata achitecture
>except that it was parallel and was based on their YNet bus technology. He
>also mentioned that the level seven machine, a massively parallel system
>(1000's of 80486s') due for release in '92, uses a ByNet bus architecture.
>Unfortunately he was not able to provide any real technical information.

I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
dinosaurs.

--
Richard M. Stein (aka, Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
Sole proprietor of Rick's Software Toxic Waste Dump and Kitty Litter Co.

gottlieb@allan.ultra.nyu.edu (Allan Gottlieb) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:

   Summary:Any shared-memory ghettoblaster is dead meat!

[question about teradata omitted]

   I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
   up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
   why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
   a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
   dinosaurs.

Not all shared memory systems are (single) bus-based.  Richer
interconnection networks are used--just as with message passing
machines.

--
Allan Gottlieb
gottlieb@nyu.edu

brooks@physics.llnl.gov (Eugene D. Brooks III) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:
>I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
>up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
>why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
>a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
>dinosaurs.
Buss based system are technological dinosaurs,
shared memory systems (in general) are not.

doc@tera.com (Dan Cummings) (10/02/90)

In <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:
>I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
>up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
>why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
>a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
>dinosaurs.
>>
>>Nick
>--
Shared memory systems are hardly technological dinosaurs.   The fact
that bus contention becomes unmanageable in large systems just means
that busses aren't a good idea.   There are a variety of other ways
to implement shared memory.   Shared memory,  in fact,  can be
demonstrated to be the only cost effective solution.

doc

lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:
:In article <211@bilpin.UUCP> nick@bilpin.UUCP (nick) writes:
:>Unfortunately he was not able to provide any real technical information.
:>
:I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
:up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
:why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
:a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
:dinosaurs.

I don't think what you mean by bus and what they mean (Ynet Bus) are
the same thing. The Terradata archetecture is a loosely coupled message
passing system. No shared memory. Ynet is the connection along which
the messages are passed. ByNet is similar but MUCH faster. At least
that's my understanding.

misha@teenage-mutant.ai.mit.edu (Mike Bolotski) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.200613.635@tera.com> doc@tera.com (Dan Cummings) writes:
> [...]   Shared memory,  in fact,  can be
>demonstrated to be the only cost effective solution.

I would be interested in the details of this demonstration.

Mike Bolotski          Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT
misha@ai.mit.edu       Cambridge, MA

carter@du248-02.cc.iastate.edu (Carter Michael Brannon) (10/03/90)

>Shared memory systems are hardly technological dinosaurs.   The fact
>that bus contention becomes unmanageable in large systems just means
>that busses aren't a good idea.   There are a variety of other ways
>to implement shared memory.   Shared memory,  in fact,  can be
>demonstrated to be the only cost effective solution.

     Well Doc, that last statement was bound to draw a little bit of fire,
so here's the first dose! :-)  I'd like a qualification of the statement
that "Shared memory ... only cost effective solution."  While I must agree
with you that shared-memory systems are far from dinosaurs, I must disagree
categorically that they are the only cost-effective way to build a successful
massively-parallel computer.

     Here at the Scalable Computation Facility at Ames Lab, we're putting
together a little collection of machines.  One of the purposes of this
facility is to show that parallel computers of all flavors can be effective
(in MFLOPS and $/MFLOPS) toward most problems.  I qualify that statement with
"most" solely in deference to the relatively small number of ill-suited tasks
for certain groups of parallel architectures.  (Ray-tracing, for example, is
difficult on a SIMD machine, although it HAS been done with some success)
As a matter of fact, we see that quite a lot of problems don't care AT ALL
upon what architecture they are implemented (by any metric)!  I will grant
you that most of our applications are scientific applications -- lots of
number-crunching and not much I/O, but parallel disks go a long way toward
narrowing the gap with conventional mainframe I/O systems.

     The main thrust of this response is to provide a counterexample to the
non-cost effectiveness of massively-parallel distributed-memory computing.
We have an 8192 node MasPar MP-1 (SIMD, 4-bit PE's, 16KB mem/PE, toroidal
mesh interconnect) here upon which we routinely see in excess of 300 MFLOPS
** ON REAL PROBLEMS **!  If you subscribe to the $/MFLOPS school, that comes
out to roughly $720/MFLOPS!  Compare that with over $10,000/MFLOPS for your
favority Cray Y-MP.  The MasPar is certainly not the only example, just the
best one I can think of.  In fact, I can't think of ANY distributed-memory
parallel machines currently available that don't come in well under the
figures for the Cray Clique in terms of cost-effectiveness.

     I am much impressed with the products offered by Sequent and Encore
(Unfortunately, I am not familiar with TerraData's products.)
in terms of supporting hoards of users running vi, cc, and all that rot,
but neither can you deny that you PAY for that performance.  If your
definition of cost-effectiveness is something like $/user, then I will admit
that shared-memory mainframes have a considerable advantage over their
distributed-memory breatheren.  If, on the other hand, you're referring to
supercomputers, then I must champion the distributed-memory machine and state
that is just isn't the case.

Michael B. Carter             |  Violence is the last refuge of the
carter@iastate.edu            |  incompetent. -- Salvor Hardin
Scalable Computation Facility |
Ames Laboratory,              |
Ames Iowa                     |

--
Michael B. Carter

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (10/04/90)

In article <3944@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) writes:

> I don't think what you mean by bus and what they mean (Ynet Bus) are
> the same thing. The Terradata archetecture is a loosely coupled message
> passing system. No shared memory. Ynet is the connection along which
> the messages are passed. ByNet is similar but MUCH faster. At least
> that's my understanding.

In simple terms the Teradata (Please note the spelling) YNet bus is
not just a bus, like VMEbus or S100, it is a proprietary intelligent
bus that has been patented by Teradata to enhance parallel processing
of database SQL statements. The DataBase Computer (DBC) is the only one
of its kind geared directly toward handling Large Databases.

Incidentally, as I pointed out, the correct spelling is Teradata, NOT
terradata. Our name is derived from the prefix "Tera" (Meaning Trillion)
and the word "data" since our DBC is capable of storing
Trillions of bytes.

--
  |_|   Pat Alvarado                | Ph: (213) 524-6104  FAX: (213) 524-0012
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com

doc@tera.com (Dan Cummings) (10/04/90)

Stating that shared memory machines are the only cost effective
solution is a sweeping generalization of the same magnitude as
Mr. Stein's suggestion that all shared memory machines are
technological dinosaurs.   Both statements are clearly untrue as
general statements.

The argument for the cost effectiveness of shared memory architectures
is not based on the cost of the machine but on the life cycle cost of
owning and using it.   The current application base has been developed
in a shared memory programming model.   Systems which are used in the
near future either have to support a shared memory programming model
or force their users to bear the cost of porting their applications.

Eventually,  it can be argued,  the cost of maintaining this old
software base will exceed the cost of porting it to a distributed
memory programming model.   This is probably true on the long term.

There are applications (Quantum Chromodynamics for
example) which are run more cost effectively on distributed memory
systems.   A general purpose system is likely to be better accepted
if it presents a shared memory programming model.

The question is not one of packing maximum computational power into
a minimum priced box but one of delivering that computational power
to the user in the most cost effective fashion.

william@syacus.acus.oz (William Mason) (10/06/90)

doc@tera.com (Dan Cummings) writes:

>In <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:
>>I'd be pretty amazed to see a massively parallel computation system built
>>up with busses.  That contention problem is a giant killer, and that's
>>why message-passing scalar systems are kicking butt, even if they are
>>a bit tougher to built software.  Shared memory systems are technological
>>dinosaurs.
>
>Shared memory systems are hardly technological dinosaurs.   The fact
>that bus contention becomes unmanageable in large systems just means
discalimer: irony deliberate ... don't worry yanks]

... IF ... someone could allow themselves some free-range thinking, for
just a minute.  Then, we could stop fighting about whether bus-ed is
better than shared memory and where the meaning of life begins and
wanking starts.

What I would like to see is a calling protocol that is independent
of the hardware _CONSTRUCTION_ [emphasis deliberate].  Having examined
things like NFS(tm?) and NetWise(tm), etc. and various other (as I'd like
to *see*) "distributed load system"-s.

I have come to the conclusion that any SYSTEM architecture not based on
and RPC (Remote Procedure Call) mechanism is liable to become the next
epoch's coal and shale {look it up}.

OK ... How one *does this* can be arguable non-trivial at the hardware
level.  But how many machines do allow for/provide such functionality ?

Once done, the possibilities become endless.  Especially now with the
expansion of networking !  For one: the Object Oriented paradygm more or
less assumes that an method [Parc] "sees" it's owner's context.  This
may be/is often disjoint from a stack based architecture.  Also, if/when
we {the *softies*} wish to provide services like {ISO}ACSE/ROSE/etc. then
we invent clumsy/ugly implementations (c.f. the AT&T(tm) ACSE/ROSE stuff).

I should admit to my (own) software bias ... I feel that the real challenges
in computer architecture will be provided at an RPC level.  Like ...

    * Name server vs. Operations/function Servers.
    * An agent--Server arch. vs. a Request+Broardcast architecture.
    * What does one do with conection oriented operations (Open_<object>())
      and connectionless things like "wait()" ?
    * What happens is a server's client "dies" !?
    * Reat-time vs. Datagram.
    * Integrated R/t and D/g.

And what about that archane(sp?) concept of call-by-name, somehow this
seems to gain new *meaning* in a <nam-ed server network>.

All of this is a supplication for the HW-persons out-there to at least
consider the needs of more advanced software thinking.  I'm (now) working
on a machine that has been using RPC for its bread+butter for over 10
years (it is 1990 ? nee).  The Japanese are doing it better(?) with the
TRON Project.

	While people are still arguing 10/20-year old questions like
	is bus better than shared memory ?

punch-line: forget "stack frames" try for "RPC-frames".

Respectfully yours,

William Mason : william@syacus : disclaim { gee, I they asked ... this is
              : ACUS r+D, Syd  :            what I'd say.  But, who listens ?
+61 2 476 1217: Australia.     :          }

johnsson@cs.chalmers.se (Thomas Johnsson) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Sep28.020717.22610@dhw68k.cts.com> stein@dhw68k.cts.com (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) writes:

>[ ........ ] Shared memory systems are technological
>dinosaurs.

I disagree. Take a look at the BBN Monarch, described
in the April issue of Computer. The BBN Monarch is a true
shared memory parallel machine for up to 65536 processors,
each capable of 6 MIPS. I find it a very elegant design.
-- Thomas Johnsson

Thomas Johnsson
UUCP:  johnsson@chalmers.uucp,  CSNET: johnsson@chalmers.csnet
Dept. of CS, Chalmers University of Technology, S-412 96 Goteborg, Sweden
phone: dept: +46 (0)31 721040.