[comp.arch] 1620 Opcode Selection

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/11/90)

As I recall, the 1620's add and multiply opcodes corresponded to the
character codes for "a" and "m".  Maybe some old geezer could confirm
that :-)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (10/14/90)

I've been informed that the opcodes for add and subtract on the 1620
correspond to the character codes for + and -.  I was probably thinking of
the 1401 (or whichever model had an assembler called AUTOCODER).

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (10/15/90)

>As I recall, the 1620's add and multiply opcodes corresponded to the
>character codes for "a" and "m".  Maybe some old geezer could confirm
>that :-)
Sorry, you miss on all three points!
A (add) opcode was 21 and M (mul) opcode was 23.
A letter was 41 and M letter was 55.

And I am only 33, so I'm no old geezer either :-)

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (10/15/90)

>I've been informed that the opcodes for add and subtract on the 1620
>correspond to the character codes for + and -.  I was probably thinking of
>the 1401 (or whichever model had an assembler called AUTOCODER).
Well, you have been misinformed!
+ character was 10 and - character was 20.

The 21 (add opcode) was a / character and 23 (mul opcode) was , character.
The 22 (sub opcode) doesn't correspond to any character.

I have the book right infront of me.......

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (10/16/90)

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com writes:

Ah, I was wondering how a youngster like you had even heard of a 1620 *B^)
--
    Graeme Moffat,                        Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (10/18/90)

From article <34880@cup.portal.com>, by R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com:

> The 22 (sub opcode) doesn't correspond to any character.
>
> I have the book right infront of me.......

Unfortunately, the book is wrong.  (See... you _can't_ believe everything
you read!)

Based on actual experience (the venerable 1620 being my "first computer"
he said, waxing nostalgic), and checking the penciled in notation on
my "yellow card", a 22 would print (on a 1443 lineprinter) as a
"record mark".

  yellow card -- IBM 1620, Model 2, Reference card.  Form X26-5852-1

  record mark -- 0-2-8 punch (C82 in core).  Graphic symbol looks like
		 a 'not equal' symbol with a vertical stroke.

  1443 lineprinter -- an interesting beast, with an oscillating type
		 bar.  Characters were on (removable!) segments and
		 looked like combs - each character was at the end of
		 a spring finger.  Switching character segments made
		 for 'interesting' output.  (The typebar could also
		 'let loose' and fly out the end of the machine. :-)

Now... does anyone out there remember the IBM 1710 ???
--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2)
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (10/20/90)

In article <7044@uwm.edu>
	jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes...
>From article <34880@cup.portal.com>, by R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com:
>>
>> The 22 (sub opcode) doesn't correspond to any character.
>>
>> I have the book right infront of me.......
>
>Unfortunately, the book is wrong.  (See... you _can't_ believe everything
>you read!)
Yes you can........   you just have to read the RIGHT part    :-)

>Based on actual experience (the venerable 1620 being my "first computer"
>he said, waxing nostalgic), and checking the penciled in notation on
>my "yellow card", a 22 would print (on a 1443 lineprinter) as a
>"record mark".
Well, I looked this up and my book lists that too; however it is "hidden"
in the text discribing the printer (and didn't work on early models)...

       "A [record mark] may be printed by PRINT ALPHAMERICALLY (PRA-39)
	instructions on 1620 Model 1 serial number 10701 and above, and
	all 1620 Model 2's by the undefined character code 22. A 22 will
	not terminate data transfer and is not detected as a [record mark]
	for other operations."

>  yellow card -- IBM 1620, Model 2, Reference card.  Form X26-5852-1

BTW, my first computer was also the 1620 (but I used a Model 1) and it
didn't have a printer (we punched printouts on cards and printed them
on an old "accounting machine", IBM 407 if I remember right) when I used it.

>Now... does anyone out there remember the IBM 1710 ???
No... what was "interesting" on that machine?