[comp.arch] Data Flow Computers

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (10/17/90)

I am doing some work for uni on dataflow computers, and am wondering
what is the current state of development on them.  Has anyone built
a working computer, if so how fast did it run?  Were all the
problems solved?

I know putting extra complexity into hardware is not popular at
the moment with all the RISC chips, so I gather dataflow computers
never really took off.

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh
Email Address -     cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au

rwt@ohm.york.ac.uk (Richard Taylor) (10/18/90)

in article <1073@iceman.jcu.oz>, cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) says:

> I am doing some work for uni on dataflow computers, and am wondering
> what is the current state of development on them.  Has anyone built
> a working computer, if so how fast did it run?  Were all the
> problems solved?
>
> I know putting extra complexity into hardware is not popular at
> the moment with all the RISC chips, so I gather dataflow computers
> never really took off.

For references look at Manchesters work (Gurd et al) amongst others
NEC produce a dataflow chip, the Image Pipelined Processor (PD7821)
- we have a simulator for the system. If anyone wants more info
or bibliography then mail me direct.

|   Dr Richard Taylor                                                  |
|   Adaptive Systems Engineering Group                                 |
|   University of York                                                 |
|   York Y01 5DD                                                       |
|   England                                                            |
|   email (janet) rwt1@uk.ac.york                                      |
|   tel : (44) 904 432351                                              |
|   fax : (44) 904 432335                                              |

gottlieb@allan.ultra.nyu.edu (Allan Gottlieb) (10/20/90)

In article <1073@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
   I am doing some work for uni on dataflow computers, and am wondering
   what is the current state of development on them.  Has anyone built
   a working computer, if so how fast did it run?  Were all the
   problems solved?

Several working machines have been built; the fastest from ETL in
Japan.  I would suggest writing to sakai@etlcar.etl.go.jp (Shuuichi
Sakai) for further details.
--
Allan Gottlieb
gottlieb@nyu.edu

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (10/21/90)

Thanks to all who replied to me, including via email.  I haven't
been able to write individual replies due to bouncing email
problems.