[comp.arch] Hardware Support for OS operations

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (10/22/90)

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>Multics needed hardware support for rings.  The ring idea was long
>ago replaced by capabilities - a concept that relates well to the
>recent interest in objects.

   Multics also need hardware support for its cache (!)...  All too many
things pushed the state of the art at that time.

			 Some capability/object machines have
>been built, and even sold.  (Does anyone know how to characterize the
>Biin machine?)  HOWEVER, I have seen a number of success stories
>where capabilities were supported entirely in software. It would be
>interesting to discuss efficency, and portable OSes, in this more
>modern context.

  Interestingly, the Honeywell machine that replaced Multics was a DPS-8
woith capability hardware, running GCOS.  It worked **so very well** that
individual developers got private copies of ``shared'' so that their errors
wouldn't crash the OS.
  Not too sucessfull an implementation, methinks (:-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just