[comp.arch] 80486 v Sparc

kaos@frey.nu.oz.au (Iain `Kaos' Holmes) (10/18/90)

I don't think this got out so i'm reposting....

Recently at work I've been looking at a HP Vectra 486, they had a Sparcstation
in for evaluation / comparison and the conclusion was that the 486 was faster
, the 486 was runnig dos the Sparc Unix, what I was wondering was has anyone
have any experience that confirms these results or otherwise ?

	on another (related) topic what do people think about benchmarking
	systems ?

							iain.

--

    Iain "Kaos" Holmes.     +---------+  Under Deadline pressure for last week.
 ACSnet :kaos@frey.nu.oz.au |   ~ ~   |  If you want something it can wait,

jsweedle@einstein.intel.com (Jonathan Sweedler) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct18.040051.3483@frey.nu.oz.au>, kaos@frey (Iain `Kaos' Holmes) writes:

>Recently at work I've been looking at a HP Vectra 486, they had a Sparcstation
>in for evaluation / comparison and the conclusion was that the 486 was faster
>, the 486 was runnig dos the Sparc Unix, what I was wondering was has anyone
>have any experience that confirms these results or otherwise ?

In the February 1990 issue of IEEE Micro there is a comparison between a
25 MHz i486 system (Compaq Deskpro 486/25, Model 650) and a Sun
Sparcstation 330 (also running at 25MHz).  The integer spec mark (does
not include the 6 floating-point SPEC programs) for the i486 system is
13.0 and the sparc system is 12.2.  So the results that you are quoting
have been experienced by others.  (I should also note that the i486
system was running Unix and not DOS).  I've also been told that AT&T
published SPECmarks for a 33MHz i486 system but I don't know what the
SPECmark was for this system.

Jonathan Sweedler, Microprocessor Design, Intel Corp.
UUCP: {decwrl,hplabs,oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!mipos2!jsweedle
ARPA: jsweedle%mipos2.intel.com@relay.cs.net

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/20/90)

In article <527@inews.intel.com> jsweedle@einstein.intel.com (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:

   In the February 1990 issue of IEEE Micro there is a comparison between a
   25 MHz i486 system (Compaq Deskpro 486/25, Model 650) and a Sun
   Sparcstation 330 (also running at 25MHz).

The Sparcstation 330 is perhaps the rottenest price-performance that I
can think of for Sparc models.  You pay a huge premium for that big
VME cabinet, and it isn't even that big.  A better price comparison
would be with a Sparcstation 1 (then) or 1+ or IPC.

   The integer spec mark (does not include the 6 floating-point SPEC
   programs) for the i486 system is 13.0 and the sparc system is 12.2.

When you quote specmarks, please quote as much as you can (all 10 numbers
would be the best).  Otherwise you put yourself up to the question
"why didn't he quote the floating point numbers"?

obdisclaimer: I am typing into a sun right now.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives

jpk@ingres.com (Jon Krueger) (10/23/90)

From article <527@inews.intel.com>, by jsweedle@einstein.intel.com (Jonathan Sweedler):
> [25 MHz i486 system gets integer SPEC of 13.0, sparc gets 12.2.]

SPECs are serving us well then.  The conclusion is: they're
comparable.  More precisely, on the tasks you cite, neither
demonstrates significant performance advantage over the other.

Now, which one was first to market?

-- Jon
--

Jon Krueger, jpk@ingres.com