[comp.arch] Perq

zed@mdbs.uucp (Bill Smith) (10/22/90)

Cruftyness aside, was there a product in the same price/performance
range as a Perq with a landscape high-resolution screen?

Bill Smith
pur-ee!mdbs!zed

In article <1990Oct22.163604.178@mdbs.uucp> zed@mdbs.uucp (Bill Smith) writes:
>Cruftyness aside, was there a product in the same price/performance
>range as a Perq with a landscape high-resolution screen?

Not right at the instant it was announced.  The instant when it was
*delivered* was another story.  The Sun 1 was announced while people
were still waiting for Perq deliveries... and Sun not only delivered
the hardware reasonably promptly, they also delivered a real operating
system running on it.  Performance wasn't as good as the Perq in a
number of ways, but a running system always beats a letter postponing
delivery yet again.  So what if it was a lousy little 68000 with no
user-writable microcode, and no fast BitBlt engine, and a kludgey MMU
that imposed some annoying restrictions?  It ran and you could get one.
A lot of Perq purchases got cancelled in favor of Suns.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

colwell@omews35.intel.com (Robert Colwell) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct22.163604.178@mdbs.uucp> zed@mdbs.uucp (Bill Smith) writes:
>Cruftyness aside, was there a product in the same price/performance
>range as a Perq with a landscape high-resolution screen?

Assuming you mean circa 1982 or so, there were none on the market that I
knew of, although Apollo's and Sun's came out at about the same that Perq's
was ready.  Perq had to add a phase-locked-loop to derive the video timing
from the CPU timing to make their landscape display, since the bit rates
are entirely different for that format (and number of pixels & lines), and
the frame buffer was in main memory.  That may have been (in retrospect) a
bad architectural decision, but it sure was fun being able to watch the OS
swap things into memory -- you could actually see the bits on the screen if
you mapped your display just right.

Getting that PLL to work properly was no picnic.  (At the time, I was
watching the goings-on from across the lab, since I had an analogous PLL
designed into the color system I was designing for them at the time.)  In
the end, we had to physically isolate a tiny daughter-card from the board
so that ground-plane noise from the big board wouldn't introduce noticeable
jitter into the displayed pixels.

Speaking of high-res, has everyone seen the monitors that MegaScan (a Perq
followon) produces?  3K x 4K displays at 70 Hz non-interlaced?  Yes, we're
talking God's Own BitRates here; the cursor alone has several hundred
pixels in it.  So moving the cursor involves moving a whole lot more bits
than mere workstations ever dreamed of.  And imagine the fun of doing
bitblts on frame buffers this big.

Bob Colwell  mipon2!colwell@intel.com  503-696-4550
Intel Corp.  JF1-19
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway