[comp.arch] Misc. comments about MIPSCo

jayl@bit.UUCP (Jay Lessert) (10/30/90)

In article <PCG.90Oct28162504@teachh.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>mash> As is well-known, we are working hard with our colleagues at
>mash> B.I.T. to improve yields on the ECL chips.
>
>In the latest issue of Byte I read that BIT have *dumped* the R6000
>development. Am I hallucinating? The justification given was that it is
>expected that CMOS chips will soon reach the same speeds, and the window
>of opportunity for an ECL based CPU has been reestimated from half a
>dozen years to one or two, which is too little. Too bad, because I love
>ECL.

BIT remains fully committed to the success of the R6000 chipset, MIPS,
and MIPS OEM's.  I haven't read the item in Byte you reference (what
issue?) but personally, I place Byte's reliability on such matters somewhere
much lower than EE Times and somewhat above the National Enquirer... :-)

We love ECL, too!

--
Jay Lessert  {ogicse,sun,decwrl}!bit!jayl
Bipolar Integrated Technology, Inc.