[comp.arch] Un*X cost

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/02/90)

In article <3686@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

>With luck, within a year or so, they may be two industrial-strength
>free Unixes available - GNU, from the Free Software Foundation, and
>4.4-detox (ie BSD "detoxified" - with the AT&T code removed).

But who will provide support for GNU & the 4.4? Will there be independent
consulting firms started up which charge $$$$/hour for support of these OSes?

I know it will make the hackers happy, but for those poor folks (such as
myself) who prefer not to go recompile the OS, it isn't going to make much
difference....they'll still end up purchasing products with a "supported"
UNIX bundled in.

In article <0093F120.388EDA40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
> In article <3686@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

> >With luck, within a year or so, they may be two industrial-strength
> >free Unixes available - GNU, from the Free Software Foundation, and
> >4.4-detox (ie BSD "detoxified" - with the AT&T code removed).

> But who will provide support for GNU & the 4.4? Will there be independent
> consulting firms started up which charge $$$$/hour for support of these OSes?
> I know it will make the hackers happy, but for those poor folks (such as
> myself) who prefer not to go recompile the OS, it isn't going to make much
> difference....they'll still end up purchasing products with a "supported"
> UNIX bundled in.

There already _are_ support companies that support GNU products; quite a
few, in fact.  I don't see any reason to expect the level of support
available for 4.4-detox or GNU to be inferior in practical terms to the
level of support from some manufacturers.  (Never mind the new features,
I just want the _old_ ones to work.)  It's also worth noting that people
supporting 4.4-detox have an incentive to make it work on the machine you
already have, instead of encouraging you to upgrade your hardware.

Is there an architectural issue here?  There's certainly an issue concerning
the hardware industry.  I remember what O/S support was like for a B6700;
you sent in your form describing your problem (and as you had MCP and
compiler sources 4 times out of 5 you sent in a patch), and about 6 months
later there was a new release with a list of all the mistakes that had been
fixed and a list of the mistakes that were still open, and yours was in
there somewhere.  This doesn't seem to happen with UNIX.  _Some_ companies
fix things fairly promptly and worry a lot about quality control, but _some_
that I've come across basically wait for the next release from AT&T.  I've
reported mistakes in utilities that were still there years later.  Is there
any reason why a hardware vendor couldn't ship *and support* 4.4-detox?
(Market forces are a different question.)

--
The problem about real life is that moving one's knight to QB3
may always be replied to with a lob across the net.  --Alasdair Macintyre.

In article <0093F120.388EDA40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

| I know it will make the hackers happy, but for those poor folks (such as
| myself) who prefer not to go recompile the OS, it isn't going to make much
| difference....they'll still end up purchasing products with a "supported"
| UNIX bundled in.

  Amen. I have written one (small) o/s from scratch myself, and two
small compilers, and been on teams to write another o/s and compiler. I
have maintained a commercial o/s at our site in spite of the best
efforts of the vendor to degrade performance and reliability at every
turn. I think I have a reasonably good idea of the effort involved in
keeping these things going, and I would *never* roll my own if there
were a viable commercial alternative.

  I'm sure a lot of people will be selling the GNU o/s as a supported
product, and the customer won't care a bit about the availability of
source code in most cases.

      The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (11/03/90)

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>In article <3686@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
>>With luck, within a year or so, they may be two industrial-strength
>>free Unixes available - GNU, from the Free Software Foundation, and
>>4.4-detox (ie BSD "detoxified" - with the AT&T code removed).
>But who will provide support for GNU & the 4.4? Will there be independent
>consulting firms started up which charge $$$$/hour for support of these OSes?

I'd like to think that the big impact of such things would be to the guy
that just bought a 386 home computer and is willing to learn Unix to get
its benefits but doesn't want to pay $1000 when he can get dos for $40 or so.

Nobody really supports dos, they just release a new version now and then.
Somebody will take one of these free Unixes and provide binaries for common
machines for minimal cost.  No support is necessary, just make the next
version available at about the same price.

Those that need support (what does that mean anyway -- quick bug fixes or
questions answered or new functions or what) will pay a higher price, just
like they do now but not as high since source licenses aren't involved.

Heck, maybe I'll do it.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif@doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

billg@hitachi.uucp (Bill Gundry) (11/03/90)

From article <4187@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, by ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe):
> In article <0093F120.388EDA40@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>> In article <3686@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
>> >With luck, within a year or so, they may be two industrial-strength
>> >free Unixes available - GNU, from the Free Software Foundation, and
>> >4.4-detox (ie BSD "detoxified" - with the AT&T code removed).
>> But who will provide support for GNU & the 4.4? Will there be independent
>> consulting firms started up which charge $$$$/hour for support of these OSes?
> There already _are_ support companies that support GNU products; quite a
> few, in fact.  I don't see any reason to expect the level of support

The one issue that *has* to be addressed is that of third party software
support. While you may be able to get a "free" UNIX and obtain some
level of service for it, you will probably suffer from a lack of
commercial applications. While the "hackers" may pooh on the idea of
commercial applications, for most companies, and indviduals, there has
to be some availability of commerical grade software that runs a variety of
systems and is suported by some type of maintenance agreement.

If I was a software developer I would certainley concentrate on the commercial
UNIX versions.

For myself,

Bill Gundry