[comp.arch] Free unix for cheap hardware

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (11/06/90)

In article <2828@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>| If this happens (and of course, we've all been looking forward to it
>| for some time now...) it could greatly open up the market for unix
>| workstations.
>  Right. Just like MINIX did, Coherent did, etc.

Neither MINIX nor Coherent are (or, as far as I know, claim to be)
"industrial-strength" modern unixes.  I don't think the comparison
makes much sense.

> You can't get a workstation
>size performance (ie. enough resolution and CPU to run X) for less than
>$4k, and you have to build it yourself to do it.

Really?  You can get a 33MHz 386 with 200Mb disk, 8Mb RAM, and 1024x768
colour screen for under 3000 pounds here, and I would have expected US
prices to be lower.  That's quite a powerful machine.  It should certainly
be possible to run a reasonable unix on a 386sx with 80Mb of disk -
after all, that's more powerful than Sun 2s which ran X useably (lack of
memory was usually the problem, rather than CPU).

Processors, memory and disk are all getting cheaper at present.  I
would expect that within a year it will be possible to but a machine
on which unix and X can run quite adequately for around 1000 pounds.
At that stage, whether the OS costs 700 pounds or zero makes all the
difference.

As to reliability, my experience is that GNU software is better
supported (in terms of real fixes, rather than someone at the end of a
phone saying helpfully "no you can't do that" or "yes we'll be fixing
that in the next release which will only cost you 100 pounds and be
available in June") than the commercial software I've used.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk