[comp.arch] processor for graphics terminal

phys169@canterbury.ac.nz (11/08/90)

In article <5549@labtam.labtam.oz>, graeme@labtam.labtam.oz (Graeme Gill) writes:
>> [my suggestion of a high performance x-windows/graphisc card for a pc]
> 	An excellent idea that would provide a standard graphics interface for
> all software running on a PC type platform, even MS-DOS programs. Unfortunately
> for it to work there would have to be wide acceptance of the interface standard
> within the PC community...

It might not be all that difficult for such a product to gain acceptance, so
long as:
(a) memory at B000:0000 is used by the card for text, so any MDS software will
work (easy to do in hardware, good for lots of existing programs)
(b) memory at B800:0000 is used for CGA-emulated (or Hercules-emulated)
graphics - i.e. any pixels written here go onto the graphics window
(c) people are encouraged to use BIOS calls to draw lines, etc. Such routines
of course would come with the card, but also be available as TSR's for those
with old CGA, EGA, VGA cards. This is the *perfect* time to come out with such
a set of routines (even before a card is designed), simply because of the
confusion over super-VGA cards. Hands up all of you who have found a BGI driver
or Windows 3 driver for your odd card yet? I can't see anybody! :-)

Such a card ought to beat X-terminals easily for cost, versatility, and
potentially speed (well, those based on chips like 68k series not totally
designed for the job). Obviously it would be streets ahead of any other options
of standard cards and software for a PC.

TTFN,
Mark Aitchison.