[comp.arch] Intel

In article <0093F67F.7998C140@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

| Nightmare hell, sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe Intel will take the '586
| or whatever they have at that time and move it to GA.

  I see that Intel is under pressure to move up the delivery of the 586
to 1991. I heard that they were looking at putting some windowing
support on the chip, but it wasn't clear if that would be X, windows3,
or something else. A 586 should be about fast enough to run X...
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/09/90)

In article <2861@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  I see that Intel is under pressure to move up the delivery of the 586
>to 1991. I heard that they were looking at putting some windowing
>support on the chip, but it wasn't clear if that would be X, windows3,
>or something else. A 586 should be about fast enough to run X...

I read dat too. Apparently Compaq is leaning on them to get their stuff
together (and waving their shares in NextGen (?) as well), because if they
don't, they might see some "encroachment" into Compaq's markets from RISC
machines as file servers and high-end workstations.

I suspect you'll see hardwired support for Windows primatives on the chip. I
also heard/read that they want to sneak DVI support in there, but I kinda doubt
they'll manage it until the '686 (Hmm, if it had been the 8066, we could have
had the chip from hell in 3-5 years...some will argue for a renumbering
scheme).

X-support will probably be shoved into the i860 follow-ons; most folks are
using it as a graphics coprocessor to begin with, and Intel keeps on saying "It
would be a wonderful chip for UN*X box."

Now, what do you make of the statement/rumors that CompuAdd is going to build a
RISC workstation? Anyone know what chip set (SPARC or MIPS) they are going to
use?