[comp.arch] XGA

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/09/90)

In article <8bC=xse00VpgQb9lNc@andrew.cmu.edu> mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) writes:
|there is hope in the future for using commodity parts
|for cheapix, but it's not here now.  pervious posts have
|identified a major weak point in the plan: monitor and
|graphics adapter.  there are some bits of news in the press
|about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
|as I recall, 1024x768 in color.  it seems reasonable to expect

There's one important point, however. IBM is only offering
it in MicroChannel because it operates in bus master mode,
something ISA machines are not highly reliable at doing.
Of course, there's always EISA.

--
The Sierra Club got their butts kicked in California on election day.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.173247.16818@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <8bC=xse00VpgQb9lNc@andrew.cmu.edu> mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) writes:
>|graphics adapter.  there are some bits of news in the press
>|about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
>|as I recall, 1024x768 in color.  it seems reasonable to expect
>
>There's one important point, however. IBM is only offering
>it in MicroChannel because it operates in bus master mode,
>something ISA machines are not highly reliable at doing.
>Of course, there's always EISA.

There's a crop of TIGA boards, based on the TI 340x0 graphics CPU,
that's becoming pretty popular; the 34020 is pretty fast too. And
there's the 8514/A clones, I believe the Paradise board is around
$600 and does non-interlaced 1K by 768, though you have to buy a
VGA card separately.  All these are for ISA.

(IMHO TI's 340x0 is the way to go.  Feel free to disagree with me.)
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.173247.16818@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <8bC=xse00VpgQb9lNc@andrew.cmu.edu> mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) writes:
> |there is hope in the future for using commodity parts
> |for cheapix, but it's not here now.  pervious posts have
> |identified a major weak point in the plan: monitor and
> |graphics adapter.  there are some bits of news in the press
> |about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
> |as I recall, 1024x768 in color.  it seems reasonable to expect
>
> There's one important point, however. IBM is only offering
> it in MicroChannel because it operates in bus master mode,
> something ISA machines are not highly reliable at doing.
> Of course, there's always EISA.

Hasn't everybody else already done it in VGA in whatever bus you
are using?  And don't the softwares already run on these various
"VGA" video systems?

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com