[comp.arch] automagic overlays?

jsp@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (John Pieper) (11/10/90)

Is anybody out there old enough to remember when we used overlays?
What I want to know is what is the current state of the art in
compiler-managed overlays: is this considered a solved problem, or did people
just decide that since we had paging it was unimportant?

I am aware of the efforts at optimizing programs for virtual memory systems,
and the work at compiler-controlled caching, both of which are related
problems, but I can't find anything on compiler-managed overlays.

replies to jsp@cs.cmu.edu or post here.
---------

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/11/90)

In article <11043@pt.cs.cmu.edu> you write:
>Is anybody out there old enough to remember when we used overlays?

Sure.  I used them under PC-DOS in 1987.

My impression is that when paging is available, it usually performs much
better than overlays for two reasons:  one is that the need to overlay is
detected by hardware without having to test at each call, the other is that
getting a good structure to the overlay tree is hard enough that you're
better off letting the pager determine the actual working set.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/12/90)

In article <11043@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, jsp@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (John Pieper) writes:
> Is anybody out there old enough to remember when we used overlays?
> What I want to know is what is the current state of the art in
> compiler-managed overlays: is this considered a solved problem, or did people
> just decide that since we had paging it was unimportant?

Boy, have you led a sheltered life.  Intel / IBM / Microsoft created
a memory limit of 640K for a very large universe of people who have
money to spend on software.  Overlay activity for that environment
is real if not technically interesting.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

In article <1939.273e786b@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

| Boy, have you led a sheltered life.  Intel / IBM / Microsoft created
| a memory limit of 640K for a very large universe of people who have
| money to spend on software.

  At the time the 8086 was designed, we were running VAXen with less
than a MB in them, so the 1MB real memory limit didn't look too bad for
a "toy computer" use. Early versions of MS-DOS (not PC-DOS) used all the
memory there was, and I recall running at least 768k in a Tandy 2000.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (11/13/90)

In <11043@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jsp@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (John Pieper) writes:
>Is anybody out there old enough to remember when we used overlays?

Is anybody out there old enough to remember MS-DOS?
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi