[comp.arch] humanitarian request

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (11/11/90)

petrino@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
#We would appreciate your responding to the request of Craig Shergold who
#is a seven year old boy with an inoperable tumor on his brain.

Oh, no, not again!

Please, don't bother sending postcards. This is the story that would
not die. This is the fifth time I have seen it in the past year, and
Shergold has more postcards than he knows what to do with. Save your
15 cents.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (11/11/90)

In article <26677.273c16c0@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> petrino@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Dear NetFolks,
>
>We would appreciate your responding to the request of Craig Shergold who
>is a seven year old boy with an inoperable tumor on his brain.
>
>He has not been given a very long time to live and it is Craig's ambition
>to enter the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of get
>well cards ever received by an individual.

Here is part of a periodic post in news.announce.newusers on
frequently asked questions:

37. I heard these stories about a dying child wanting postcards to get
    in the Guinness Book of World Records.  Where can I post the
    address for people to help?

    Post it to "junk," or better yet, don't post it at all.  The
    story of the little boy keeps popping up, even though his mother
    has been reported as appealing for people to stop.  So
    many postcards were sent that the agencies involved in the effort
    don't know what to do with them, and the Guinness people
    claim they will retire the category from the record books. If you
    want to do something noble, donate the cost of a stamp and
    postcard (or more) to a worthwhile charity like UNICEF or the
    International Red Cross/Red Crescent.  There are tens of
    thousands of children dying around the world daily, and they could
    use more than a postcard.

--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

daryl@hpcllla.cup.hp.com (Daryl Odnert) (11/16/90)

Although Craig may be a real person with a real brain tumor who really
does want to receive cards and letters, messages like these have been
seen several times before on the network.  Such requests should be
ignored due to problems they have caused for the post offices and
hospitals involved.  The Guiness Book of Records no longer publishes
any records of this kind.

Daryl Odnert
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino, California