[comp.arch] Letterman's top ten

mark@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mark Smotherman) (11/15/90)

by chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano):
>> And to keep this
>> thread valid for comp.arch, what were David Letterman's Top Ten computer
>> architectures?
>
> Ed Borasky's Top Ten Computer Architectures:
>
> 1. Babbage's Analytical Engine (first computer)

You folks must not watch David Letterman.  I doubt he would give a
serious list for "top ten", rather it would be something like ...

1. A Honeywell mainframe (6000?) with extra bits in the floating-point
   accumulator for more precision in intermediate calculations - but
   with no way to save these in memory.  Thus they will disappear
   at random, depending upon interrupts and context switches [1, p. 137].
   (Ever thought of floating-point expression evaluation as being a
   critical section in need of interrupt disabling???)
2. ...

Followups to folklore group?

--
[1] R. Dewar and M. Smosna, Microprocessors: A Programmer's View,
    McGraw-Hill, 1990.

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (11/16/90)

In article <11635@hubcap.clemson.edu> mark@hubcap.clemson.edu
	(Mark Smotherman) writes:
>   (Ever thought of floating-point expression evaluation as being a
>   critical section in need of interrupt disabling???)

Sure. The LSI 11/23 treated slow ops (like floating point) as
restartable. Since some ops took a lot of microseconds (50?), a few
thousand interrrupts/second could stop the user program in its
tracks.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (11/16/90)

Smotherman) writes:

| 1. A Honeywell mainframe (6000?) with extra bits in the floating-point
|    accumulator for more precision in intermediate calculations - but
|    with no way to save these in memory.  Thus they will disappear
|    at random, depending upon interrupts and context switches [1, p. 137].
|    (Ever thought of floating-point expression evaluation as being a
|    critical section in need of interrupt disabling???)

One of the early Data General Eclipse's had this 'feature'.  My memory
says it was the s200, but it may have been an s150 or some such
instead.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?