[comp.arch] OS cost component of workstation

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/02/90)

(Mutter...why don't people change Subject: lines when they change topics?
I passed by once because this was still carrying the Tektronix/88k subject.)

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
  my@frapper.UUCP (Michael Yip) writes:
> >After all this price arguments, did anyone include the cost of the
> >software (eg the UNIX OS and util) into the comparsion?
That, BTW, is a very good question, since that factor makes some of the
low-end RISC machines--which include OS--very competitive.

> With luck, within a year or so, they may be two industrial-strength
> free Unixes available - GNU, from the Free Software Foundation, and
> 4.4-detox (ie BSD "detoxified" - with the AT&T code removed).

Fine.  Now show me how many people will buy a machine assuming they can get
the OS free "with luck" and "in a year"!  Yeah, you bet, I'm going out to
buy a few $K of hardware hoping I'll get lucky in the next year or so to
have free software for it.

COME ON!  You can wish for free UNIX all you want (I do!:-), but it hasn't
happened, it's not close, and it's not happening very fast.  People are
paying for OSes because they want to use machines NOW, not next year.

Yes, GNU wants a freed UNIX-like system, but is there any reason to think
they'll actually have one within the next year?  I don't think so.  Last
public statement I saw, they hadn't even settled on a base for it.  (And
no, Mach is not going to be free in the near future.  A freed micro-kernel
is not a free kernel; any usable Mach-based system is going to be heavily
tied up in licenses for quite some time yet.)

And yes, Berkeley is freeing code...slowly.  Has anyone seen the BSD boys
put a firm date on when 4.4 will be out, let alone when there would be a
de-tox'ed version?  If you've watched Berkeley in the past, you know that
if they don't set a date, they're not ready to set a date and it's point-
less to second-guess when they'll have something out.

(Before you flame:  Consider that I'm stating what I think is an accurate
assessment, *NOT* what I would like to see happen!  Hey, I'd like to see
a free BSD for my 386 next month.)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...but Meatball doesn't work that way!

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov1.234831.2066@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Fine.  Now show me how many people will buy a machine assuming they can get
>the OS free "with luck" and "in a year"!  Yeah, you bet, I'm going out to
>buy a few $K of hardware hoping I'll get lucky in the next year or so to
>have free software for it.

Fine.  Now show me where I suggested anyone should.

I merely pointed it out because when it happens, which might or might
not be within a year, it's likely to make quite a difference to the
workstation market.  In particular, I think it will extend that market
downwards to cheap 386 machines.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/06/90)

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
  rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> >Fine.  Now show me how many people will buy a machine assuming they can get
> >the OS free "with luck" and "in a year"!...[snide remarks deleted]...
> Fine.  Now show me where I suggested anyone should.

That's the first, and lesser, part of my point, simply that few people will
buy based on speculated availability of software.  The more important part
is that there's little chance of a cheap/free UNIX within a year or so...

> I merely pointed it out because when it happens, which might or might
> not be within a year, it's likely to make quite a difference to the
> workstation market.  In particular, I think it will extend that market
> downwards to cheap 386 machines.

My quarrel is with the idea that there's any significant likelihood of it
happening.  Sure, if it *did* happen in a year, it would make waves.  But
there's no chance of it.  And if it takes two years, the workstation market
coming down from above (the RISC folks) will already be there.  They're
already close enough in price for packaged systems (workstation + OS) to
start lopping off the top of the 386/486 PC + UNIX market.  In other words,
by the time it happened, it wouldn't be extending the market "downwards"
but only "sideways".
--

In article <3699@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:

| I merely pointed it out because when it happens, which might or might
| not be within a year, it's likely to make quite a difference to the
| workstation market.  In particular, I think it will extend that market
| downwards to cheap 386 machines.

  If by "cheap" you mean "low part of the price range," as in "cheap
car," at the moment you just can't buy a decent unix machine which fits
the "cheap 386" class. I have been trying for over a year to identify a
configuration which will run unix cheaply, as part of my "cheap-ix"
project. I've evaluated about 15 machines (with the help of friends),
and concluded that to run a useful unix environment (as opposed to a
toy), you want 8MB RAM and 200MB disk. Otherwise you give up compilers,
or X, or news, or whatever, and you certainly give up performance.

  An SX, even at 16MHz, seems to be a reasonable chip to do the job, but
you can't get acceptable characteristics without RAM and disk. I would
therefore dispute that you will ever be able to use the "cheap 386,"
which will be forever a capon intended for MS-DOS.

  Oh, and if you get your o/s from FSF, remember the size of their grep,
bison, flex, emacs, etc. Even on V.4, with everything in the world in my
kernel, and drivers for every device ever invented, emacs is bigger than
the kernel. I have no information on what the size of their system will
be, but past software shows that in the past they have favored
functionality and performance over size reduction.

  However, the prices are coming down to the point where even the
midrange system is getting affordable.
      The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/07/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   If by "cheap" you mean "low part of the price range," as in "cheap
> car," at the moment you just can't buy a decent unix machine which fits
> the "cheap 386" class...

I think you can; in fact, I have.  But that's because I have exactly one
different assumption from Davidsen...

> I've evaluated about 15 machines (with the help of friends),
> and concluded that to run a useful unix environment (as opposed to a
> toy), you want 8MB RAM and 200MB disk. Otherwise you give up compilers,
> or X, or news, or whatever, and you certainly give up performance.

The problem is X.  You can have a good, *real* UNIX machine for well under
$2000 for hardware as long as you don't want X.  A 386SX has enough power,
4 Mb is plenty of memory, and an 80-100 Mb disk will do.

Now add X, and some layers above to let you do something with it (like
OpenLook or Motif, and a window manager).  Oh, sure, it's neat; you've got
bas-relief window borders (that you actually use at least once every few
thousand keystrokes:-) and pleasant colors and cute little icons.

And it increases the cost of the machine by more than 50%.

It's a bit like going out to buy a car, costing $8000 for the basic vehicle
plus $5000 for a trim-and-instrumentation package.

Figure it out:  You need a monitor capable of 1024x768, probably color.  If
your brain operates at anything close to normal frequency (some suits can
apparently tolerate a 56 Hz monitor, but few other folks can), you need a
pretty good display card.  That's about $700 over the cost of a good char-
acter display and card.  Davidsen's right about memory--add 4 Mb @ $50-55.
Add a mouse (we'll waste a precious serial port) for $75 for a decent one.
Oh, and you'll need a bunch more disk.  Better add at least 20 Mb; incre-
mental cost is $3.50-4.00/Mb.  You've added over $1000 to the hardware cost
of a machine that was under $2000.

It ain't the fault of the hardware folks...and it ain't the fault of UNIX.
The hardware exists right now (in fact, has existed for some time) to make
a cheap, good UNIX system.  It's just that we allow software bloat to move
so fast it gives us zero or negative net technical progress (*if* we buy
into it).  See the discussion in comp.misc, Subject: A tirade about in-
efficient software & systems.

Duly noted, Davidsen's (valid) statements about how big emacs is.  But I
see that the X server here on my machine is also larger than the (absurdly
large) kernel.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...but Meatball doesn't work that way!

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (11/07/90)

With respect to the cost of the OS for RISC workstations:

If you buy a SPARC chip set from LSI Logic, the OS license is built in.
You pay $25K for a design kit, which includes a complete hardware
documentation package and a working system board -- and a tape with SunOS,
C compiler, NFS, etc.  You can then distribute binary copies without any
additional fees -- as long as each one goes with an LSI chip set.  The
OS port was done by Opus Systems, so I suppose they'll be providing support.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com
707/823-4004

In article <1990Nov6.222057.17797@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

| The problem is X.  You can have a good, *real* UNIX machine for well under
| $2000 for hardware as long as you don't want X.  A 386SX has enough power,
| 4 Mb is plenty of memory, and an 80-100 Mb disk will do.

  Remember, the idea of project cheap-ix is to have a practical system
which will cost about the same as a color X terminal (and could
therefore be bought by may with X-terminal budget).

  You can certainly scale back the level of performance and capability
to reduce the price, but there are a lot of cheap systems which will
function well in "glass tty" mode now.

  I really believe that by March I will be able to publish a list of
parts and vendors which will allow the average user to assemble a
machine which runs color X at useful speed, includes the fun parts of
UNIX, and will cost less than $3000 in at most quantity three. Hopefully
Q1 if I can convince a few vendors to run promotional deals for
"cheap-ix" configurations.
      The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.222057.17797@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
(stuff deleted)

> Figure it out:  You need a monitor capable of 1024x768, probably color.  If
> your brain operates at anything close to normal frequency (some suits can
> apparently tolerate a 56 Hz monitor, but few other folks can), you need a
> pretty good display card.  That's about $700 over the cost of a good char-
> acter display and card.  Davidsen's right about memory--add 4 Mb @ $50-55.
> Add a mouse (we'll waste a precious serial port) for $75 for a decent one.
> Oh, and you'll need a bunch more disk.  Better add at least 20 Mb; incre-
> mental cost is $3.50-4.00/Mb.  You've added over $1000 to the hardware cost
> of a machine that was under $2000.

1kx768?  It is a myth that 1kx768 resolution is necessary for X.  A prime
example is television;  very low resolution, but the images are spectacular.
Why?  Analog color.  Learning from this example, the key is not resolution,
but color ability.  The brain is capable, relatively speaking, of seeing
many more colors (distinguishing) than very small dots.  (One of the reasons
"wide lines" present problems currently).  Monitor refresh, on the other
hand, is very important.  70 Hz at least for flicker-free (zero eye strain).
One wonders how many eyes have lost retinal capability by looking into
bad monitors.

640x480x256 is marginal for adequate imaging.  640x480x1k is better,
640x480x16k is virtually indistinguishable (oxymoron, i know) from
television.  Sound odd?  Perhaps.

Resolution is key if one is drawing huge, 2D (e.g. AEC-type) drawings,
and you want to be able to zoom into the drawing at factors like 1x10^15
and such.  For X, color ability and monitor capability is key, not
resolution.

Rob

--
Rob Peglar	Comtrol Corp.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
		A Control Systems Company	(800) 926-6876

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar

rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (11/08/90)

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:

>1kx768?  It is a myth that 1kx768 resolution is necessary for X.  A prime
>example is television;  very low resolution, but the images are spectacular.

Indeed.  And as a result nobody uses television when displaying two moderately
sized (say, 90x40 characters) windows.

>640x480x256 is marginal for adequate imaging.  640x480x1k is better,
>640x480x16k is virtually indistinguishable (oxymoron, i know) from
>television.  Sound odd?  Perhaps.

640x480 is barely suitable for displaying even a single window.

There are people who actually do other things than image viewing/processing.

Tiggr

mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) (11/08/90)

there is hope in the future for using commodity parts
for cheapix, but it's not here now.  pervious posts have
identified a major weak point in the plan: monitor and
graphics adapter.  there are some bits of news in the press
about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
as I recall, 1024x768 in color.  it seems reasonable to expect
the same painful bank-selecting interface as VGA,
but hopefully not the same slow initial implementation.
if you buy the argument that volume makes for cheap prices,
you'll want to wait for XGA to become a commodity.

on the other hand, I'm beginning to think an x terminal
and a headless PC is the way to go.  does anyone have
reviews of to offer?

regards,
Mark

In article <2840@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
> and concluded that to run a useful unix environment (as opposed to a
> toy), you want 8MB RAM and 200MB disk. Otherwise you give up compilers,
> or X, or news, or whatever, and you certainly give up performance.

Sigh. 4 Meg and 72 Meg disk is planty for a useful UNIX development
system. I've done real work with a 40 Meg disk, but it's not very
happy.

X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

spot@WOOZLE.GRAPHICS.CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Draves) (11/08/90)

In article <239@csinc.UUCP>, rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:

|> 640x480x256 is marginal for adequate imaging.  640x480x1k is better,
|> 640x480x16k is virtually indistinguishable (oxymoron, i know) from
|> television.  Sound odd?  Perhaps.
|>
|> Resolution is key if one is drawing huge, 2D (e.g. AEC-type) drawings,
|> and you want to be able to zoom into the drawing at factors like 1x10^15
|> and such.  For X, color ability and monitor capability is key, not
|> resolution.
|>
|> Rob

who uses X for imaging?  Most people use it to run a window system,
and that means there is a lot of text on the screen.  For text you
need high resolution.  640x480 is puny.  That's only 80-100 characters
across!!  My current screen is 191 across, and I wish it were more.

|>  very low resolution, but the images are spectacular.
|> Why?  Analog color.

yea.  right.

			Consume
Scott Draves		Be Silent
spot@cs.cmu.edu		Die

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (11/08/90)

In article <T_Y6OYC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2840@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>> and concluded that to run a useful unix environment (as opposed to a
>> toy), you want 8MB RAM and 200MB disk. Otherwise you give up compilers,
>> or X, or news, or whatever, and you certainly give up performance.
>Sigh. 4 Meg and 72 Meg disk is planty for a useful UNIX development
>system. I've done real work with a 40 Meg disk, but it's not very
>happy.

...and 4 meg and 160 MB of disk is enough for development and 2 days'
worth of a full news feed...on a 286, yet. 2.6 meg was enough smaller
to induce significant thrashing.

>X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.

What? I thought you were a newsaholic...as for X, I got along fine without
it, though Microbug's multiple virtual console driver helped quite a bit.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

In article <1553@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:
> 640x480 is barely suitable for displaying even a single window.

I'm sitting in front of a (click, click, click) 684 by *217* display that holds
an 80 by 25 window, including several dozen pixels of borders and available
backdrop. A multisync monitor would be nice, but in real life you don't really
need all that display.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <239@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:

| 1kx768?  It is a myth that 1kx768 resolution is necessary for X.  A prime
| example is television;  very low resolution, but the images are spectacular.

  Yes, and anyone who has every tried to put even 80x25 on a TV knows
you can't read it.

| Why?  Analog color.  Learning from this example, the key is not resolution,
| but color ability.  The brain is capable, relatively speaking, of seeing
| many more colors (distinguishing) than very small dots.

  Unfortunately drawings and text are composed of very small dots.

| 640x480x256 is marginal for adequate imaging.  640x480x1k is better,
| 640x480x16k is virtually indistinguishable (oxymoron, i know) from
| television.  Sound odd?  Perhaps.

  And for text and line drawings you need a total of two colors,
preferably with high contrast to one another.

| Resolution is key if one is drawing huge, 2D (e.g. AEC-type) drawings,
| and you want to be able to zoom into the drawing at factors like 1x10^15
| and such.  For X, color ability and monitor capability is key, not
| resolution.

  You need 1024x768 just to get two regular "glass tty" screens of 80x25
up. Many people like 132 columns (you can tell by their C code and
postings). Then you need room for icons, so that takes some more. The
low resolution solution is to first drop from 9x16 to 8x13, losing
serifs in the process, then to 8x8, losing decenders, and looking like a
1978 dot matrix printer.

  Most people use X for mostly text, and anything less than 9x16 is
going to lead to eyestrain (maybe a well chosen 9x14). And this on a big
screen. After looking at what people do with their X color capability, I
think that most people don't make use of it more than 10% of the time
(having pastel borders is not making use of it in any productive sense,
unless the border color means something).
      The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

In article <T_Y6OYC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

| Sigh. 4 Meg and 72 Meg disk is planty for a useful UNIX development
| system. I've done real work with a 40 Meg disk, but it's not very
| happy.

  I've done real work on 64k CP/M systems, but that doesn't mean I want
to go back there again. A good CP/M system with two drive and a full 64k
was about $3000 in 1978, and my wife sold hundreds of them. Given
inflation I think that's a reasonable hardware cost for a UNIX system
*with* frills, thanks.

| X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.

  Depends on what you're developing. You can say the same thing about
screen editors. You can edit nicely with ed, and we did on V6. And as
soon as vi came along everybody dropped ed.

  X is a useful, portable way to do certain graphical things which are
not adapted to text. For one screen text work I usually don't use X, or
miss it.

  UNIX is a frill. You can always use MS-DOS and get your cost *real*
low. That doesn't make it comfortable. Henry rewrote nroff in awk, but
that doesn't mean I intend to scrap to original. It's a great tool for
those who don't have the "real thing," and I believe that's how it was
intended.

  I want to see a full featured UNIX at prices anyone can afford, and to
say that you can live without the luxuries is true, but a bit frugal for
my taste.
      The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

steven@uicadd.csl.uiuc.edu (Steven Parkes) (11/09/90)

In article <O8Z6:J3@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
|> In article <1553@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:
|> > 640x480 is barely suitable for displaying even a single window.

|> I'm sitting in front of a (click, click, click) 684 by *217* display that
|> holds an 80 by 25 window, including several dozen pixels of borders and
|> available backdrop. A multisync monitor would be nice, but in real life you
|> don't really need all that display.

Maybe people are thinking about the days when televisions were used as
monitors ... although TV's have about 480 active lines, 1) they are interlaced,
which limits vertical resolution and 2) the signal is band-limited, which limits
horizontal resolution.  A 640/480 progressive scan monitor is going to be a lot
better than the old days of using a TV with an RF modulator.  [I'm not saying
640/480 is great (I use 1024/864), but its a lot better than the 24x40 windows
that old systems using TV's got.]

steven parkes ---------------------------------------
University of Illinois Coordinated Science Laboratory
steven@pacific.csl.uiuc.edu -------------------------

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (11/09/90)

In article <239@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:
>1kx768?  It is a myth that 1kx768 resolution is necessary for X.  A prime
>example is television;  very low resolution, but the images are spectacular.

Spectacular?

640x480x16k may be great to look at the stuff from alt.sex.pictures but
running multiple ~80x~24 windows just isn't useful with dinky resolution.
X's usefulness is supposed to come from multiple windows.  For real
development work, I'd rather have 2048x2048x2 (_LESS_ bits).

I agree with 1kx768 minimum.  If it'd make a difference economically,
I'd settle for 16 colors (and sacrifice the quality of my gif's  :-)   ).

And, BTW, I'm interested in cheap-ix but don't know that I can help.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif@doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/09/90)

mh2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Hahn) writes:
> ...there are some bits of news in the press
> about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
> as I recall, 1024x768 in color...

OK, but 1024x768 is old news.  Even 1024x768 with 256 colors has been
around for a while.  XGA is supposedly for MicroChannel architectures,
which makes it uninteresting for most of the 86ish world.  One trade-
rag report put it at "up to 10% faster" than IBM's 8514, which would
be respectable speed, but nothing remarkable there either.

I don't see what XGA is going to provide that's new or different.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   Cellular phones: more deadly than marijuana.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/09/90)

You can buy a Sun3/50 these days for about $1200 max (under $1000 if
you work at it.) That's a 4MB 68020 with ethernet, SCSI, and two
serial ports, 1150x900 monochrome, keyboard, mouse. An OS license is
bundled (I believe it's transferable, if not I think single user is
something like $495 with docs.)

Now to that you can add a 327MB Wren-IV for around $1500, that's $2700
or about $3200 with the OS. If the OS is bundled then you can throw in
a tape device (e.g. a used 60MB QIC-24 can probably be had for $500, I
know new ones go for around $750.)

So how far off are we? Or does it have to be x86 for some reason I'm
missing?

That's a very solid Unix workstation environment. For an additional
$1200 you can probably find a color Sun3/60 which is expandable to
24MB (about $2500 for the base system), that might be a used price (is
that cheating if there were sources for a lot of them?)

An on-site service contract for my 3/60HM with 327MB disk, 60MB tape
is about $135/mo. I suspect you could find depot service for under
$100 from one of the third-party service orgs (you probably don't want
service people coming into your bedroom anyhow.) Actually,my contract
is written for a color monitor as that's what they would probably give
me if my hi-res (1280x1600) ever dies, which was ok by me (they didn't
have a price for an HM, and doubted they'd have stock on the day it
ever died..)

???
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

positron@cosmic.berkeley.edu (Shigeki Misawa) (11/09/90)

In Message-ID: <8bC=xse00VpgQb9lNc@andrew.cmu.edu> Mark Hahn says :

>there is hope in the future for using commodity parts
>for cheapix, but it's not here now.  pervious posts have
>identified a major weak point in the plan: monitor and
>graphics adapter.  there are some bits of news in the press
>about a new IBM standard called XGA, which is,
>as I recall, 1024x768 in color.  it seems reasonable to expect
>the same painful bank-selecting interface as VGA,
>but hopefully not the same slow initial implementation.
>if you buy the argument that volume makes for cheap prices,
>you'll want to wait for XGA to become a commodity.

Which gets to an interesting question, how much does it really cost
to manufacture a large color monitor and graphics card? an how
much more is this over the price of your run of the mill color
monitor. In one of the recent computer rags (I forget which one,
PC Week, Computer World, Digital Review?), there was a quote from
a spokesman from one of the Taiwanese SPARC clone makers (I think
it was Tatung) saying that large color monitors are not significantly
more expensive to make than your run of the mill monitor and that
the reason why the price is high is that the workstation market is
willing to pay the extra buck for it.

______________

Shigeki Misawa UCB Physics Department

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/09/90)

In article <BZS.90Nov8173010@world.std.com>, bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>You can buy a Sun3/50 these days for about $1200 max (under $1000 if

[cut comparison shopping guide]

>or about $3200 with the OS. If the OS is bundled then you can throw in
>a tape device (e.g. a used 60MB QIC-24 can probably be had for $500, I
>know new ones go for around $750.)

>An on-site service contract for my 3/60HM with 327MB disk, 60MB tape
>is about $135/mo. I suspect you could find depot service for under
>$100 from one of the third-party service orgs (you probably don't want
>service people coming into your bedroom anyhow.)

Hum. $135/mon. * 12 months = $1620/year? Or a "mere" $1200/month for carry-in.
Effectively, you're paying the initial cost about $3200 + $1200 = $4400, plus
$1200+ each following year, unless you are getting a warranty for the used
thing (maybe 3 months?)

Now, take the cheap-ix. Component parts = ~$3000. Should any single part break
after the first year (say, do the used things have warranties or are they sold
on the 'lots of luck' policy?), you pay some amount of money which is less than
$1200 (say the motherboard blows out and takes something with it, call the
price, oh around $1200) and replace it yourself. More than likely, it gives one
an excuse to upgrade because equilivant parts will either be A) Much cheaper
(cost of plunging PC boards and hard disk) and B) More capability for same
price (shift upward from 20Mhz to 25Mhz to ? clock speeds on chips).

Meanwhile, Mr. Sun, looking long in the tooth since the early 80s, has probably
blown a gizmo or two since you've had it, and your service contract increase
anywhere from 10-20% a year because it is A) Getting older, so your odds of
system failure for a major part are greater and B) Those Sun parts are getting
scarcer, because other people's workstations are starting to bust a gut.

Bill's box is more sustainable over the long run, and will be easier & cheaper
to keep running.

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/09/90)

In article <2859@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   I want to see a full featured UNIX at prices anyone can afford, and to
> say that you can live without the luxuries is true, but a bit frugal for
> my taste.
> --
> bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
>       The Twin Peaks Halloween costume: stark naked in a body bag

Bill, you said that you are trying to spec a system that will
let us have a reasonable cost Unix system.  I have already
spent too much on a computer and am living with msdos.  Could
you post the pieces as you find them?  Especially the software
pieces?  I want to convert it to unix with minimum money, and
reasonable effort.  I have to at least be able to move files
from DOS systems (to preserve what I have and to continue to
communicate with other systems).  Being able to execute DOS
programs in the unix environment would be nice, but not crucial.

Can you reveal to us the parts of your goal that you have found?

dan herrick
dlh Performance Marketing
POBox 1419
Mentor Ohio  44061
(216)974-9637
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (11/10/90)

In article <239@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:
>1kx768?  It is a myth that 1kx768 resolution is necessary for X.

That depends what you want X for.  You could run X on a 100x100
monchrome screen, but it wouldn't be much use.

>For X, color ability and monitor capability is key, not resolution.

No.  For displaying images, that may be the key.  *I* want X so that I
can have multiple text windows, with two readable 80x66 windows
side-by-side.  And for that, 1024x768 is barely adequate.

-- Richard
--

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (11/10/90)

Peter da Silva writes:
#X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.

Not everyone shares in these two opinions.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/10/90)

Hasn't anyone seen a TELETEXT system like they use on Cable (e.g.
those local for-sale channels), or airports, or a computer that hooks
up to a TV monitor?

The resolution for text is pretty bad, 12x40 (chars) is about all you
can get without your eyes falling out of your head, and even those
characters are badly formed. And you suddenly notice a lot of jitter
even on a good TV that you just don't notice when there's a picture
there.

I don't understand why anyone is even taking the claim that normal TV
is adequate seriously, we've all had any number of experiences with
that, it isn't.

Animated images (normal TV programming) is just a whole other thing,
not comparable really.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

Just as an aside, I've been playing around with Superhires on my Amiga. It
is actually possible to get ~1500 by ~500 pixels from a tube with about the
resolution of a good TV set if you don't go through the ghastly NTSC
conversion (Amiga 3000 with 1080 monitor (analog RGB) in SuperHires
Interlace).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (11/10/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  And for text and line drawings you need a total of two colors,
>preferably with high contrast to one another.

A few intermediate shades would be better - four instead of two are
plenty - to make use of anti-aliased rendering for lines, curves, and
fonts.  Although not very popular (who knows why!), anti-aliasing is
a good way to get more "apparent resolution/definition" out of a given
number of pixels, for line and text work.  Apart from that, I agree
with your main point - 640 x 480 is not adequate for text and line work;
still, I believe I'd rather have, say, 1024 x 768 with 4 grey levels
used for antialiasing, than, oh, 1152 x 928, black-white monochrome.

--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (Gary D Duzan) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.200125.18287@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
=>Peter da Silva writes:
=>#X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.
=>
=>Not everyone shares in these two opinions.
=>
   X is something you need for your terminal; News is something you need from
your server. I admit a bias, however, since I am getting seriously into
Distributed Systems & Operating Systems. Plan 9 from Bell Labs has the right
idea, but lacks transparency.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov9.200125.18287@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
>Peter da Silva writes:
>#X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.
>
>Not everyone shares in these two opinions.

Computers are a frill.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (11/14/90)

Daniel Mocsny writes:
#Computers are a frill.

It is kind of hard to reduct CCD images without them.

--

lupienj@hpwadac.hp.com (John Lupien) (11/15/90)

In article <T_Y6OYC@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2840@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>> and concluded that to run a useful unix environment (as opposed to a
>> toy), you want 8MB RAM and 200MB disk. Otherwise you give up compilers,
>> or X, or news, or whatever, and you certainly give up performance.
>Sigh. 4 Meg and 72 Meg disk is planty for a useful UNIX development
>system. I've done real work with a 40 Meg disk, but it's not very
>happy.
>X is a frill, not a necessity. News is a frill, not a necessity.

It wasn't that long ago that I was using VENIX on an 8086 machine,
with 20MB disk and (shudder) 128KB memory. This was intended to be
a serious development project, too, and yes, we had compilers. X,
news, and other frills were certainly out of the question, but the
product (such as it was) got built, and worked pretty well. It didn't
take much to get swapping involved, so one had to be careful, but
basically Peter is right: *NIX does not imply megabytes of memory,
nor does it require enormous disks, but if you don't have them, you
must give up the frills.

---
John R. Lupien
lupienj@hpwarq.hp.com

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/15/90)

Greg Hennessy writes:
> Daniel Mocsny writes:
> #Computers are a frill.
>
> It is kind of hard to reduct CCD images without them.

Thus demonstrating neatly that CCD images are a frill.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (11/16/90)

In article <11619@alice.att.com> andrew@alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) writes:
>megascan ... monitors ... 300 DPI, 4096x~3300 ... $3500

This sounds most impressive,

>300dpi one as an alternate screen for my gnot.

Which reminds me - is Plan 9 likely to be available for off-the-shelf
workstations in the near future?  I know that current workstations
don't really fit the Plan 9 model, but there are lots of us who'd like
to try it who can't afford two large SGI machines connected by a
high-speed bus.

-- Richard
--

In article <3775@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>Which reminds me - is Plan 9 likely to be available for off-the-shelf
>workstations in the near future? ...

Uh, as I understand it, the words "available" and "Plan 9" do not go
together.  It is a research effort, not a commercial product.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/19/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Uh, as I understand it, the words "available" and "Plan 9" do not go
> together.  It is a research effort, not a commercial product.

We-ell...  A few of the Plan 9 developers who spoke at the EUUG conference
this July did say that they had some intentions to make it available
(with the rider: "if it's made available in any form at all, it will be
 in *source*, and we'll do our best to ensure that it isn't standardised"
 or words to that effect)
but gave no details as to timescale or on what terms or to whom.

Richard obviously remembered this statement, and was probably fishing for
more rumour :-)

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

In article <1990Nov18.192626.19401@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>> Uh, as I understand it, the words "available" and "Plan 9" do not go
>> together.  It is a research effort, not a commercial product.
>
>We-ell...  A few of the Plan 9 developers who spoke at the EUUG conference
>this July did say that they had some intentions to make it available...
>but gave no details as to timescale or on what terms or to whom.

A further caution here:  based on the early history of Unix, if Plan 9 does
become available, what you're getting will probably be a slightly-flakey
research prototype, not an industrial-strength system that can be relied
on "straight out of the box" for heavy production use.  Shaking a research
system down into a robust production system is a lot of work, and I suspect
it's rather peripheral to the purposes of the research people.  (For all
the messes the USG people made in PWB, and Berkeley made in 4.1BSD, they
did put an awful lot of work into making the system run reliably and
efficiently, to the point where the Murray Hill research people "bought
back" a lot of that work for V7 and V8 respectively.)