[comp.arch] Hennessy and Patterson

conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) (11/19/90)

In article <316@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:

>I suggest Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture, a
>Quantitative Approach", published by Morgan Kaufmann, for a simple and
>clear model of how one goes about minimizing chip cost.  Great book!

This book has not yet been published in the UK.
Does anyone know when it will be, how much it will cost?

I've also seen a book by Tabak called simply "RISC systems", at 21 pounds.
It seems to be basically a survey of RISC chips and systems.
Can anyone recommend this?

---
Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd., UK.
UK: conor@inmos.co.uk		US: conor@inmos.com
"It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".

astevens@acorn.co.uk (Ashley Stevens) (11/20/90)

In article <12640@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:

>In article <316@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>>
>>I suggest Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture, a
>>Quantitative Approach", published by Morgan Kaufmann, for a simple and
>>clear model of how one goes about minimizing chip cost.  Great book!
>
>This book has not yet been published in the UK.
>Does anyone know when it will be, how much it will cost?

It *has* been published in the UK. It cost 25 pounds. I bought it from a
leaflet that came with an IEE magazine, but I have seen it in the local
book-shop, Heffers, also priced at 24.95.

--Ashley.

tosh-km@aiai.ed.ac.uk (ichi Maeda) (11/20/90)

In article <12640@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>In article <316@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>>
>>I suggest Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture, a
>>Quantitative Approach", published by Morgan Kaufmann, for a simple and
>>clear model of how one goes about minimizing chip cost.  Great book!
>
>This book has not yet been published in the UK.
>Does anyone know when it will be, how much it will cost?
>
>...(deleted)...
>
>---
>Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd., UK.
>UK: conor@inmos.co.uk		US: conor@inmos.com
>"It's state-of-the-art" "But it doesn't work!" "That is the state-of-the-art".

I bought a copy of this on 3rd October in Edinburgh.  It costed
only 24.95 pounds.

-- Ken
Ken-ichi Maeda, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
		80 South Bridge, Edinburgh  EH1 1HN, United Kingdom.
JANET:	Maeda@uk.ac.edinburgh
ARPA:	Maeda%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
BITNET:	Maeda%uk.ac.ed@ukacrl.bitnet
UUCP:	...mcvax!ukc!ed.ac.uk!Maeda

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (11/22/90)

>>... Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture, a
>>Quantitative Approach", published by Morgan Kaufmann, for a simple and

yes, a definite and mandatory reading for each of us, and a prerequisite
for people who want to browsw thru comp.arch (!)

>I've also seen a book by Tabak called simply "RISC systems", at 21 pounds.
>It seems to be basically a survey of RISC chips and systems.
>Can anyone recommend this?

"me-to", eg, I wish someone to say something about this book because I want
to order it for my company

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

astevens@acorn.co.uk (Ashley Stevens) (11/22/90)

In article <4114@acorn.co.uk> I wrote:

>In article <12640@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>
>>In article <316@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>>>
>>>I suggest Hennessy and Patterson's "Computer Architecture, a
>>>Quantitative Approach", published by Morgan Kaufmann, for a simple and
>>>clear model of how one goes about minimizing chip cost.  Great book!
>>
>>This book has not yet been published in the UK.
>>Does anyone know when it will be, how much it will cost?
>
>It *has* been published in the UK. It cost 25 pounds. I bought it from a
>leaflet that came with an IEE magazine, but I have seen it in the local
>book-shop, Heffers, also priced at 24.95.
>
>--Ashley.

I just got sent some junk mail from the publishers. It turned up today. It looks
like you can get it mail order from the UK distributors, Afterhurt, if you
have no joy else-where.

The address is:-

Afterhurst Ltd.
Mail Order Dept.