[comp.arch] UNIX

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (11/13/90)

Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?

   <9333@b11.ingr.com>, lhughes@b11.ingr.com (Lawrence Hughes)
   $ Welcome to the wonderful world of multi-megabyte executables
   $ that barely fit in 2 MB systems, barely crawl on 25 MHz CPUs
   $ and won't even run on any known diskette system. Compliments of
   $ brothers Kernigan and Ritchie.

   <PCG.90Nov10145452@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk>, pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi)
   # Poor Kernighan and Ritchie must be turning in their graves -- oops
   # sorry, they are fortunately still with us :-). V7 Unix was designed to
   # run efficiently on a 64KB adress space machine.

   <1106@banyan.UUCP>, gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan)
   % It's not _that_ hard to come up with a NEW system that is simple and
   % elegant when you're tucked away in some lab with no one watching you
   % (K&R deserve kudos for designing one that was also portable and widely
   % usefull).  It's quite another thing to be working on an existing
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) (11/14/90)

In article <43115@mips.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
>of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
>investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?

Ooops ! Mea Culpa (shows what happens when you just grab text) I still
stand by my basic arguement, though. As long as we have a market
driven by simplistic enumeration of system "features" we're going to
get bulky systems comprised of poorly integrated, hacked-on kludges to
what once were a fairly elegant and simple systems (we could start all
over again with . . say MACH, and in 5 years or less we'd have
another, slightly different, gigantic mess)

That is, UNLESS we can "sell" a new buzz-concept: the Reduced Feature
Set System (All the advantages of RISC only now at the system level !
Build your OWN features quickly and easily through the simple
combination of these basic features ! Prototype and test new software
with speed and ease !) . . . naaah, it'll never work.

"sometimes it makes me sad
 when I think of what gets wasted
 the time spent, the lives lost
 the dishes never tasted"
	- sam hill

Gilbert Pilz Jr.  "I don't believe in nihilism, anarchy is too confining
gil@banyan.com     for me, I have no opinion about apathy." - g. panfile

dmr@alice.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) (11/14/90)

I read,

 > Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
 > of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
 > investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?

The differences between Kernighan Ritchie Thompson are real
but very subtle. We all look alike (middle aged with scruffy
graying beards).  Note these distinctions:

-- Kernighan is slimmest, Ritchie middlest, Thompson heaviest
   in body build
-- Ritchie got contacts a couple of years ago and so is the
   only current non-glasses wearer
-- Thompson wouldn't touch netnews with a pole, Kernighan
   secretly gets misc.invest and misc.taxes mailed to him,
   Ritchie reads it more than is good for him and occasionally
   contributes
-- Ritchie is the only one who has met five people who have
   appeared on David Letterman (Penn, Teller, Rob Pike, Mayor Koch, and
   the guy who raised the biggest hog in Ohio)
-- Kernighan has written ten times as much readable prose as has
   Ritchie, Ritchie ten times as much as Thompson.  It's tempting
   to say that the reverse proportions hold for code, but
   in fact Kernighan and Ritchie are more nearly tied
   and Thompson wipes us both out.

	Dennis

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/14/90)

On 13 Nov 90 00:35:07 GMT, mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) said:

mark> Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
mark> of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
mark> investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?

From what I understand, Thompson and Ritchie wrote the Unix Kernel,
mostly by themselves, up to V7 included (one did IO, the other the
rest).

But a crew of various colleagues of those two wrote most the of UNIX
utilities; Bourne the shell, Kernighan Weinberger coded AWK (I think
mostly Kernighan) with design help from Aho, the late Ossanna [tn]roff,
Bourne the V7 shell, Kernighan again produced ditroff and pic, Ritchie
himself the first C compiler, Johnson the pcc, Lesk a number of text
processing thingies, and many others that I omit for brevity.

Kernighan, Ritchie (and Pike) are the names most frequently associated
with Unix because they wrote the C language book and the Unix
environment book on which most UNIX programmers start. Therefore they
have enjoyed more public exposure than Thompson, which (I seem to
remember) arguably considers UNIX mostly a development system for chess
machines... :-)

As far I can see, the fundamental Unix flavour is from Thompson, the
fundamental C flavour is from Ritchie.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (11/14/90)

In article <11613@alice.att.com>, dmr@alice.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) writes:
> -- Ritchie is the only one who has met five people who have
>    appeared on David Letterman (Penn, Teller, Rob Pike, Mayor Koch, and
>    the guy who raised the biggest hog in Ohio)

     What was Rob Pike doing on Letterman?  Has he got show-biz in his blood
since his successful debut as a SIGGRAPH game show host?  And to keep this
thread valid for comp.arch, what were David Letterman's Top Ten computer
architectures?

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (11/15/90)

In article <4868@trantor.harris-atd.com>, I write:
> And to keep this
> thread valid for comp.arch, what were David Letterman's Top Ten computer
> architectures?

And Ed Borasky sends me:

Ed Borasky's Top Ten Computer Architectures:

1. Babbage's Analytical Engine (first computer)
2. The IAS machines (ILLIAC I, JOHHNIAC, etc. -- the
   Von Neumann/Goldstine/Burks designs)
3. The IBM 7030 (STRETCH) -- the first supercomputer
4. System/360 -- the first GENERAL PURPOSE COMPUTER (not specialized for
   commercial or scientific jobs)
5. The PDP-8 -- the first commercially successful minicomputer
6. The FPS AP-120B -- the best array processor, first
   LONG INSTRUCTION WORD machine
7. The Cray X-MP -- the most successful and best TRUE SUPERCOMPUTER
8. The Connection machine -- the most innovative massively parallel SIMD
   machine
9. Intel's Touchstone Delta -- the best MIMD design to date.
10. The MOSTEK 6502 -- brains of the Apple 2, Commodore 64 and LOTS of
    video games!

Those are MY nominees; clearly others will have favorites.  Conspicuosly
missing are today's RISC machines (RS/6000, SPARC, MIPS).  If you start
the list at 1980 you would have to include them, but I go back further
than many on the net.

Ed Borasky

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/15/90)

In article <11613@alice.att.com>, dmr@alice.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) writes:
> I read,
>
>  > Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
>  > of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
>  > investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?
>
> The differences between Kernighan Ritchie Thompson are real
> but very subtle. We all look alike (middle aged with scruffy
> graying beards).  Note these distinctions:
>
> -- Kernighan is slimmest, Ritchie middlest, Thompson heaviest
>    in body build
> -- Ritchie got contacts a couple of years ago and so is the
>    only current non-glasses wearer
> -- Thompson wouldn't touch netnews with a pole, Kernighan
>    secretly gets misc.invest and misc.taxes mailed to him,
>    Ritchie reads it more than is good for him and occasionally
>    contributes
> -- Ritchie is the only one who has met five people who have
>    appeared on David Letterman (Penn, Teller, Rob Pike, Mayor Koch, and
>    the guy who raised the biggest hog in Ohio)
> -- Kernighan has written ten times as much readable prose as has
>    Ritchie, Ritchie ten times as much as Thompson.  It's tempting
>    to say that the reverse proportions hold for code, but
>    in fact Kernighan and Ritchie are more nearly tied
>    and Thompson wipes us both out.
>

> 	Dennis

Dennis,

I was once talking with a tech on the iRMX86 help line at Intel
and suggested that I would rather do my embedded product in c
than in PLM86.  He said, "I used to work for Bell Labs out in
New Jersey.  Kernighan and Ritchie are flakes who run around
outside in sandals and no socks in the middle of the winter."

It's impossible to represent his tone of voice, but it was
obvious he thought he was giving me the last word on the
usefulness of c as a programming language.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

In article <4876@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

| Ed Borasky's Top Ten Computer Architectures:

  Since I don't know the selection criteria, I dare not disagree with
this, but I believe that if you are looking at "production system which
broke new groupd," then you would have to include the Intel 432.

  Intel tried to do 32 bit data and object oriented hardware about two
decades before it was popular. Actually if they had the resources, I
believe that today's processes would make this part fast enough to be
useful, and salable in a niche market for doing object oriented stuff. I
confess that I see no hope there will be unused resources in Intel's
future, so I'm not holding my breath.

  The concepts were way ahead of their time, though, in both advance of
the market, and advance of the processes which would make the chip
reasonably fast.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

EAF@.Prime.COM (11/16/90)

Ditto the 960XA (BiiN) architecture.

Ed

aglew@crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (11/16/90)

>... "production system which broke new grou[n]d," then you would have to
>include the Intel 432.
>
>  Intel tried to do 32 bit data and object oriented hardware about two
>decades before it was popular. Actually if they had the resources, I
>believe that today's processes would make this part fast enough to be
>useful, and salable in a niche market for doing object oriented stuff.
>
>[bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)]

Q: what niche market does object oriented stuff?

Researchers probably need not apply - although several parallel
computer companies have made money off the parallel research market,
the type of problems that are attacked by parallelism tend to have
more money thrown at them than the type of problems solved by objects.
(Disprove by showing a budget breakdown for the NSF and other funders,
with funds available for machine purchase.)

Security?  Maybe - but security, at least, has moved away from
complexity in the hardware, and towards secure OSes running on stock
hardware.  Fault tolerant/reliable systems?  Maybe - but Tandem's
recent UNIX based systems may indicate the trend for FT to run on
stock hardware as well.

Although, to take the other point of view - the Intel i960 really very
much is a descendant of the 432. With the various problems that led to
poor performance fixed.

--
Andy Glew, a-glew@uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (11/16/90)

In article <4876@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
   Ed Borasky's Top Ten Computer Architectures:

   9. Intel's Touchstone Delta -- the best MIMD design to date.

How is the Touchstone Delta _qualitatively_ different than the
original Cosmic Cube by Sietz et al ? It certainly is faster, and has
more processors (and snazzier ones at that) .... but the other
machines listed seem to be attempts to chose seminal machines ....
else one would expect the S/360 to be a 3090 (or whatever), the XMP
with a YMP, etc.
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

In article <4876@trantor.harris-atd.com> chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
> 10. The MOSTEK 6502 -- brains of the Apple 2, Commodore 64 and LOTS of
>     video games!

How about the COSMAC 1802, the brains of Voyager and the first microprocessor
to achieve artificial intelligence (in one of the Star Trek movies)?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

sxr@cs.purdue.EDU (Saul Rosen) (11/17/90)

In article <43115@mips.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development
>of UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
>investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie.  Did something change?

I don't read this newsgroup that thoroughly, so I didn't catch the
three articles that Mark Johnson quotes in which the inventors of
UNIX are incorrectly identified. I am pleased that he has
taken the time to post a correction. Note that in Kernighan and Pike's
"The Unix Programming Environment" the authors state that the first
version of Unix was written in 1969 by "Ken Thompson, with ideas  and support
from Rudd Canaday, Doug McIlroy, and Dennis Ritchie" and that "In 1973
Ritchie and Thompson rewrote the Unix kernel in C..."

I am surprised and sometimes distressed by the number of incorrect
statements about the history of computing that find their way into
print (or into network postings.)

Saul Rosen

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (11/20/90)

>> 10. The MOSTEK 6502
>How about the COSMAC 1802

In any case, it was the MOS Technology 6502, not Mostek.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

colwell@omews35.intel.com (Robert Colwell) (11/27/90)

In article <10348@sunquest.UUCP> terry@venus.sunquest.com (Terry R. Friedrichsen) writes:
>I guess this just proves that Intel hires software folks with
>the same unrefined taste as the folks who design their hardware.

This is not true.  You can have good taste when you're hired, but you have
to promise to get rid of it in an appropriate amount of time.  Intel is
very reasonable about these things.  For instance, you can still drink
expensive wine, but you have to promise not to enjoy it.

Bob Colwell  mipon2!colwell@intel.com  503-696-4550
Intel Corp.  JF1-19
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124