[comp.arch] an amusing development

Remember the discussions about how the 8086 was "source compatible" with
the 8080?  Well, Motorola is following in Intel's wake:  its new 68HC16,
the 16-bit successor to its 8-bit line of microcontrollers, is "source
code compatible" with its predecessors.

I wonder if they got the parity bit right. :-)
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

caveh@csl.sri.com (Caveh Jalali) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.055824.18403@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Remember the discussions about how the 8086 was "source compatible" with
>the 8080?  Well, Motorola is following in Intel's wake:  its new 68HC16,
>the 16-bit successor to its 8-bit line of microcontrollers, is "source
>code compatible" with its predecessors.

it's my impression (not having been there way back when) is that "source code
compatibility" was a big deal in the late 70s:
the 6809 was the first processor i got involved with (in more ways than one)
and i remember reading the 6809 manuals -- they kept saying that the 6809 was
SOURCE CODE COMPATIBLE with the 6800, and went thru all sorts of verbage to
explain the reasons.  i guess good ol' batwings is replaying that song
one more time!

these days we just talk about ANSI C and SVID instead.

--
00c -- caveh@csl.sri.com
"X is not a letter, it's a sentence."