[comp.arch] Request for MIPS info/interpreter

lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Michael Lam) (11/28/90)

Does anyone have any software that interprets the MIPS object
code via ftp?

Can anyone recommand any good references on the MIPS instruction
set (for programming)?  And provide me with speed info on the MIPS
chips such as #of instructions/sec, cycles/instructions, and
data transfer rate to different memory hierarchy (cache, RAM,
and disk)?

I need to write a program to parse MIPS instruction streams and
I'll appreciate any help via email.

Michael Lam
EECS Dept.
University of Illinois at Chicago
lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (11/28/90)

Jim Larus (larus@cs.wisc.edu) has a MIPS simulator developed (as I recall) for
use by assembly language programming course (it's also suitable for a compiler
course). It supports a symbolic simple assembly language in addition to binary
format . It can simulate the load and branch delays, or you can turn that off.
It comes with a manual (which contains a reasonable introduction to the MIPS
cpu), and has an ordinary terminal interface as well as an X interface. It
implements a few simple system calls. It does not try to be a detailed
simulator of the architecture, so the translation lookaside buffer (for
example) is not implemented. Anyway, you may find it useful. It certainly has
a parser in it!							Eliot
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/29/90)

> Does anyone have any software that interprets the MIPS object
> code via ftp?

Is this what the other questioner meant when he asked if a network
with many computers is not the same as a mainframe?  The memory to
processor bandwidth of this system is certainly going to reduce the
applicability of the name MIPS.

dan herrick
herrickd@astro.pc.ab.com

lovejoy@alc.com (Alan Lovejoy) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov27.193948.29066@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Michael Lam) writes:
 -- Does anyone have any software that interprets the MIPS object
 -- code via ftp?

Uh....wouldn't that be rather slow? :-)

--
 %%%% Alan Lovejoy %%%% | "Do not go gentle into that good night,
 % Ascent Logic Corp. % | Old age should burn and rave at the close of the day;

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Nov27.193948.29066@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> lam@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Michael Lam) writes:
>Does anyone have any software that interprets the MIPS object
>code via ftp?

"The network is the computer", eh?

-- Richard
--