[comp.arch] Sun's Competitive Strategy

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (11/21/90)

In article <ROLAND.90Nov19160821@lolly.Stanford.EDU> roland@CS.Stanford.EDU (Roland Conybeare) writes:
>I believe Sun hopes to enlarge the market for SPARC machines by inviting
>competition (this seems like an extraordinary action to me!).

Sun's move is extraordinary, in that it shows insight and courage
almost unheard of in the computer industry. The alternative, however,
can be observed failing just about everywhere people are still trying
it. Attempting to sustain high profit margins on obsolete architectures
via proprietary lock-ins just doesn't work in the long term. Eventually
your customers are losing so much money that they are willing to undergo
the agony of porting to somebody else's box, no matter how hard you try
to make it for them.

>Sun wins if it keeps market share & SPARCs become commonplace.  On the other
>hand Sun may lose to superior manufacturing.

I suspect that Sun realizes the only way to insure that it maintains
its superior manufacturing is to expose itself deliberately to
competition. Top management at a company can't simply order the whole
company to become more competitive. Everybody in the enterprise has
their own personal agenda, and if line managers don't feel a pressure
to run a tight ship, they will always find something else to do.

By insuring that competition will exist, Sun sends a convincing message
to every employee: produce, or the party is over. While putting the
company in a sink-or-swim position might seem insane, it is probably
the only strategy that has a chance in the medium-term. Because every
computer company is in a sink-or-swim position if you look down the
road a few years.

Victories are won and lost by the cumulative result of seemingly
insignificant differences in growth rates. For example, during the
19th century, the USA had an industrial growth rate 1% higher than
that of Great Britain. As a result, after 100 years the USA went from
a banana country to replacing Great Britain as the world's leading
industrial power.

Things happen faster in the computer industry. No company can afford
to become complacent simply because it can sell something today that
nobody else has. Within a couple of years, everybody else will be
selling something better. Look at the proprietary minicomputer
lines showing flat sales today. You are seeing what happens when
everybody at the company believes proprietary lock-ins will protect
them from having to compete. Lock-ins can work in the short run. But
they only buy you a few years in which to dig your nice, comfortable
grave.

Sun also understands that customers don't buy computers to decorate
their desks, but to run software. Therefore, the more software a computer
will run, the more valuable it is to the customer, period. Since the vast
majority of computer buyers do not write their own code, the price and
availability of software for a particular computer is at least as
important as the computer's underlying technical merit. And the price
and availability of software depends almost entirely on one thing,
directly or indirectly: the size of the computer's installed base.

By inviting in the cloners, Sun is insuring that the total number of
SPARC systems installed will be higher than if Sun marketed them
exclusively. The cloners won't merely cannibalize Sun sales; they will
also penetrate new markets that Sun would not have reached on its own.
As a direct consequence, more software developers will
target this market. That will increase the value of the architecture
to the consumer, further stimulating sales. The overall size of the
market will then be much higher. Sun will have to compete harder for
market share, but at least it has insured that 10 years from now it
will still have a market to compete in.

Consider where Apple computer would be right now if it had made
cloning the Mac easy. Consider where DEC would be if it had made
cloning the VAX easy. Maybe in chapter 11 :-), or maybe fighting
to hang onto a share of a still-thriving market. Instead, the
handwriting is on the wall for the proprietary lines. Eventually
they will simply get swamped in a flood of cheap PC clones, SPARC
clones, etc., which will be doing everything they can do, for less.

Proprietary lock-ins don't work in the long run. The whole organization
adapts to easy sales and high margins, and starts getting fat and slow.
Not to mention spending more money on its legal activities than on
creating value through superior engineering. But even the best legal
talent in existence can't persuade customers to spend more than they
have to.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

In article <6749@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>I suspect that Sun realizes the only way to insure that it maintains
>its superior manufacturing is to expose itself deliberately to
>competition...

To be plausible, such theories should explain why Sun's earlier products
remain cloaked in secrecy.  Consideration of that suggests that this is
a marketing ploy rather than a grand scheme to flog Sun's own people into
being competitive.  (Either that, or Sun's management is simply irrational,
a definite possibility.)

The most obvious sinister possibility is that this is an attempt to do for
hardware what many people thought the AT&T/Sun alliance was meant to do
for software:  to give Sun a guaranteed lead on the competition by giving
it control of an "industry standard", so that Sun can change the rules of
the game regularly, forcing everyone else into a constant game of catch-up.
As witness the uproar that followed the AT&T/Sun business, the trick is to
do this without getting the victims upset in advance.  To accomplish that,
you have to give them the illusion that they have a say and some modicum
of control.  One way to do this is to let them spend their time arguing
over "standardizing" the previous generation, making it clear that the
"standard" must not invalidate any of your designs, while you quietly get
the next generation ready.

My prediction:  if/when SPARC (or S-bus) becomes a non-Sun-controlled
standard, Sun will promptly announce SPARC II (S-bus II), with loud claims
that it renders all the old stuff obsolete and is the obvious new standard.

Who, me, cynical? :-)
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov21.174938.7861@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <6749@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>>I suspect that Sun realizes the only way to insure that it maintains
>>its superior manufacturing is to expose itself deliberately to
>>competition...

>To be plausible, such theories should explain why Sun's earlier products
>remain cloaked in secrecy.

While I hardly claim inside knowledge, I have read commentary suggesting
that Sun did not see its earlier systems competing against PC's, but
rather as addressing a separate market niche. Two factors have changed
this: (1) Sun's rapid growth threatens to saturate the technical
workstation market, prompting Sun to target the commercial sector; and
(2) the emergence of cheap 386 PC's threatened to start chipping away
at Sun from the low end.

Nobody can succeed in the commercial market by talking about MIPS,
SPECmarks, etc. Success in the commercial market requires being able
to run lots of cheap, powerful, slick software right out of a box,
and without a Ph.D. standing by to provide everything the vendor
forgot. I.e., just like the suits know they can do with Mac's and
PC's. The only way to do this, in turn, is to pull in the big and
small software houses with the magic phrase: i n s t a l l e d
b a s e.

I don't think Sun worried too much about going head to head with
the PC's when they were selling Sun-1's and Sun-2's. The overlap
wasn't there like we see today. Today, an 80386 can do everything a
SPARC can do, only slower and cheaper. Sun got to its first billion
selling a pretty specialized product. To get to its first 10 billion,
Sun is going to have to sell something that suits can understand
and operate.

Apple has carved a substantial back alley of the PC market for itself.
But imagine where the Mac would be today if Apple hadn't closed up
the box and nailed the corners down. The Mac might have trampled
and squashed the PC clones if Apple hadn't kept the price artificially
high and scared off the suits by being the sole supplier. Apple would be
competing for a share of a much larger market. I'm sure they'd still
be in it. After all, IBM still sells a lot of PC's.

> Consideration of that suggests that this is
>a marketing ploy rather than a grand scheme to flog Sun's own people into
>being competitive.  (Either that, or Sun's management is simply irrational,
>a definite possibility.)

Well, I did once read a story of one of the 19th century robber barons,
perhaps it was Andrew Carnegie (but don't quote me). As a young man,
he was hired to manage a foundry. He came in the first day, met the
troops, and asked the foreman how many batches his men had created
that shift. The foreman replied "seven" or some such. So Andrew took
a piece of chalk and wrote a large "7" on the floor. He stuck around
for the next shift, watched them turn out nine batches, and he wrote a
"9" on the floor. No cajoling or threats, just the chalked number.
Pretty soon the shifts were engaged in a contest with each other, and
plant production rose substantially. (Remember, this was in the days
before quality control was discovered.)

The computer industry is extraordinarily competitive, and this
competition proceeds on different time scales. I'm sure that Sun's
licensing efforts are worth more to its customers than to its
employees. Nonetheless, Sun's management can't be blind. They must
have some idea what to expect when they invite in the cloners.

It's just like the battles between the ancient Persians and the
Spartans. The Persians invaded with a 10:1 numerical advantage,
or some such, but the Spartans crushed them. The Persians were
just used to guarding a sleepy empire, while the Spartans didn't
do much else besides fight with their neighbors all the time.
(My apologies to historians if I'm garbling this too badly, or
even fabricating a story outright to support my general argument.)

What's going to happen when a few lean, mean companies emerge
from the smoke and ruins of the Clone Wars, and then take on the
somnolent Persian empire?

>My prediction:  if/when SPARC (or S-bus) becomes a non-Sun-controlled
>standard, Sun will promptly announce SPARC II (S-bus II), with loud claims
>that it renders all the old stuff obsolete and is the obvious new standard.

Interestingly, I read in _UNIX Today_, albeit yesterday :-) that
Sun's new 40 MHz SPARCstation II is generating heavy criticism from
competitors about having to go to a high clock rate to match the
performance of the other workstations with substantially slower
clocks. The HP spokesman was saying Sun is now hurt by having a
standardized SPARC that is preventing Sun from innovating.

I will be surprised if Sun tries to junk the existing standard, since
it is trying very hard to build up an applications library for the
SPARC. Since software lags hardware by 3--5 years, it seems impossible
to deliver, simultaneously, leading-edge hardware and a broad
applications base. All the more reason to push for greater software
portability.

--

In article <6769@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>>>I suspect that Sun realizes the only way to insure that it maintains
>>>its superior manufacturing is to expose itself deliberately to
>>>competition...
>
>>To be plausible, such theories should explain why Sun's earlier products
>>remain cloaked in secrecy.
>
>While I hardly claim inside knowledge, I have read commentary suggesting
>that Sun did not see its earlier systems competing against PC's, but
>rather as addressing a separate market niche. Two factors have changed
>this...

So why haven't they changed Sun's policies regarding its older systems?
As I've asked (rhetorically) before:  what possible end can be served by
the continuing secrecy regarding the insides of the Sun 2?  One would
expect secrecy about new systems but a more relaxed attitude about old
ones.  From Sun, if anything we are getting the reverse!  This is why
I suggest devious scheming or sheer irrationality as an explanation.

>>My prediction:  if/when SPARC (or S-bus) becomes a non-Sun-controlled
>>standard, Sun will promptly announce SPARC II (S-bus II), with loud claims
>>that it renders all the old stuff obsolete and is the obvious new standard.
>
>...I will be surprised if Sun tries to junk the existing standard, since
>it is trying very hard to build up an applications library for the
>SPARC...

They won't junk it; they will pull an Intel, announcing a new standard that
is a superset of the old one, rendering all the competitors' machines out
of date without requiring a total software rewrite.
--
"I'm not sure it's possible            | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
to explain how X works."               |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov23.181851.26588@zoo.toronto.edu> (Henry Spencer) writes:
> So why haven't they changed Sun's policies regarding its older systems?
> As I've asked (rhetorically) before:  what possible end can be served by
> the continuing secrecy regarding the insides of the Sun 2?  One would
> expect secrecy about new systems but a more relaxed attitude about old
> ones.  From Sun, if anything we are getting the reverse!  This is why
> I suggest devious scheming or sheer irrationality as an explanation.

This is plain BS. The Arcons project here at CMU had SUN's schematics for
the SUN-2 boards. This was necessary to modify the boards for real-time OS
experiments. You just have to talk to the right people. This is much less an
issue of secrecy rather an issue of documentation cost. It takes time and
money to document things to the point that some outsider can make use of it.
Since there aren't too many customers that are interested in this, SUN has
better things to do than to produce document kits for obsolete hardware
(just like most other companies).

On Sbus and Sparc:
>They won't junk it; they will pull an Intel, announcing a new standard that
>is a superset of the old one, rendering all the competitors' machines out
>of date without requiring a total software rewrite.

Sparc International's reference machine is not build by SUN...

--
   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

   Carnegie-Mellon University	     agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu
   Computer Science Department       (412) 268-3617

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov23.181851.26588@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <6769@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:

	[edited]

>>>To be plausible, such theories should explain why Sun's earlier products
>>>remain cloaked in secrecy.
>>
>So why haven't they changed Sun's policies regarding its older systems?
>As I've asked (rhetorically) before:  what possible end can be served by
>the continuing secrecy regarding the insides of the Sun 2?  One would
>expect secrecy about new systems but a more relaxed attitude about old
>ones.  From Sun, if anything we are getting the reverse!  This is why
>I suggest devious scheming or sheer irrationality as an explanation.

	Well, Henry, it is pretty clear that when it comes to Sun you
	prefer elaborate conspiracy theories ;-)  I find Sun's reluctance
	to release eg schematics of motherboards, power supplies, etc
	an inconvenience, too.  Under the "dubious scheming" heading, we might
	find that they don't make such information available to limit
	choices in arranging for third party repair of modules.

>"I'm not sure it's possible            | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>to explain how X works."               |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

In article <11182@pt.cs.cmu.edu> agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) writes:

>In article <1990Nov23.181851.26588@zoo.toronto.edu> (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> So why haven't they changed Sun's policies regarding its older systems?
>> As I've asked (rhetorically) before:  what possible end can be served by
>> the continuing secrecy regarding the insides of the Sun 2?  One would
>> expect secrecy about new systems but a more relaxed attitude about old
>> ones.  From Sun, if anything we are getting the reverse!  This is why
>> I suggest devious scheming or sheer irrationality as an explanation.
>
>This is plain BS. The Arcons project here at CMU had SUN's schematics for
>the SUN-2 boards. This was necessary to modify the boards for real-time OS
>experiments. You just have to talk to the right people. This is much less an

	Actually, it is not BS, Andreas.  Sun has never been forthcoming
	with schematics or *any* low level information about their systems.
	At another place that I work for, one with both university credentials
	and more than 100 Suns, we attempted to get such documentation. We were
	told alternatively that either the information was "not available" or
	provided only on a "need to know" basis.  Doing repairs in house did
	not consitute need to know.  Note that we could not get schematics to
	3/75 power supplies either, even though they are manufactured to Sun
	spec by a third party.  Sun uses ECAD like the rest of use, and surely
	has all their ECO trails and everything else on line - I submit that it
	is more than a matter of not having the information sitting pretty
	somewhere that people do not have access to the stuff.  As a counter
	example, these days I do most of my hardware work on Commodore Amigas
	- CBM provides a 380 page reference manual (published by Addison-Wesley,
	no less) on programming their full custom ASIC parts in the Amiga and
	they ship full schematics with *every* box they sell.  Remember that
	CBM is a smaller company than Sun and that eg Amiga 3000 is a higher
	parts count machine than the SS-1.  Sun is wrong in this matter.  They
	ought to provide full low level docs + schematics on one of those nice
	quarterly CD-ROMs they publish - if done right, they might get Valid to
	ship their schematics editor (stripped, of course) as a viewer.  I
	don't have high hopes of this ever happening, though.

>   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

In article <11182@pt.cs.cmu.edu> agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) writes:
>This is plain BS. The Arcons project here at CMU had SUN's schematics for
>the SUN-2 boards...

I'd be extremely surprised if this wasn't under a nondisclosure agreement,
one that took some effort to get.

>... You just have to talk to the right people...

And have a convincing project, and be lucky.

>This is much less an
>issue of secrecy rather an issue of documentation cost. It takes time and
>money to document things to the point that some outsider can make use of it.

Except that in many cases, this stuff is already documented for internal use.
(Often the documentation is a bit raw, but that's a different issue.)  I
can't speak for the Sun 2, actually, but near-complete programming docs for
the early Sun 3s *do* exist... and very few people can get them, even today.
--

myhui@bnr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov24.162427.10023@ameristar> rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>	somewhere that people do not have access to the stuff.  As a counter
>	example, these days I do most of my hardware work on Commodore Amigas
>	- CBM provides a 380 page reference manual (published by Addison-Wesley,
>	no less) on programming their full custom ASIC parts in the Amiga and
>	they ship full schematics with *every* box they sell.

In the other hardware sphere of oscilloscopes, Tektronix also ships
full schematic, _trouble shooting_, and _calibration_ information
with each and every scope. Legend has it that a smaller scope maker's
VP of engineering was too proud to copy Tek's horizontal sweep generator
circuit, and went on to design his own for his company, and got a patent
for it in the process. In the old days, scopes were made of discrete
transistors, hand soldered to boards, wired by hand. Copying would have
been trivial.

Michael Hui     myhui@bnr.ca

rds@SYRAH.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU (Robert Sansom) (11/26/90)

In article <11182@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) writes:

|> In article <1990Nov23.181851.26588@zoo.toronto.edu> (Henry Spencer) writes:
|> > So why haven't they changed Sun's policies regarding its older systems?
|> > As I've asked (rhetorically) before:  what possible end can be served by
|> > the continuing secrecy regarding the insides of the Sun 2?  One would
|> > expect secrecy about new systems but a more relaxed attitude about old
|> > ones.  From Sun, if anything we are getting the reverse!  This is why
|> > I suggest devious scheming or sheer irrationality as an explanation.
|>
|> This is plain BS. The Arcons project here at CMU had SUN's schematics for
|> the SUN-2 boards. This was necessary to modify the boards for real-time OS
|> experiments. You just have to talk to the right people. This is much less an
|> issue of secrecy rather an issue of documentation cost. It takes time and
|> money to document things to the point that some outsider can make use of it.
|> Since there aren't too many customers that are interested in this, SUN has
|> better things to do than to produce document kits for obsolete hardware
|> (just like most other companies).
|>
|> On Sbus and Sparc:
|> >They won't junk it; they will pull an Intel, announcing a new standard that
|> >is a superset of the old one, rendering all the competitors' machines out
|> >of date without requiring a total software rewrite.
|>
|> Sparc International's reference machine is not build by SUN...
|>
|> --
|>    --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)
|>
|>    Carnegie-Mellon University	     agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu
|>    Computer Science Department       (412) 268-3617

Actually Andreas works for Sun Microsystems these days, not Carnegie Mellon.

Robert Sansom, School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
INTERNET: sansom@cs.cmu.edu         CSNET: sansom%cs.cmu.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET: sansom%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma  UUCP: ...!seismo!cs.cmu.edu!sansom

uad1077@dircon.uucp (11/26/90)

Dan Mocsny writes:
> Consider where Apple computer would be right now if it had made
> cloning the Mac easy. Consider where DEC would be if it had made

While I largely agree with your analysis of Sun's move, Apple are
perhaps the crwoning example that shows there is another way.  Apple
often seem to be downplayed by netters, perhaps because they sell
so many machines to non-computer users...  It's hard to imagine
that the market for Macs could be many times bigger if they were
clonable.  In a sense the Mac follows the Japanese consumer electronics
thing of making sure that everyone who sees one WANTS one.

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

sgolson@pyrite.East.Sun.COM (Steve Golson) (11/27/90)

In article <6769@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>Interestingly, I read in _UNIX Today_, albeit yesterday :-) that
>Sun's new 40 MHz SPARCstation II is generating heavy criticism from
>competitors about having to go to a high clock rate to match the
>performance of the other workstations with substantially slower
>clocks. The HP spokesman was saying Sun is now hurt by having a
>standardized SPARC that is preventing Sun from innovating.

How is this different from HP's "standardized" Precision Architecture?
Does this likewise prevent HP from innovating?

Steve Golson -- Trilobyte Systems -- Carlisle MA -- sgolson@east.sun.com
       (consultant for, but not employed by, Sun Microsystems)
"As the people here grow colder, I turn to my computer..." -- Kate Bush

dtynan@unix386.Convergent.COM (Dermot Tynan) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov25.194404.3376@dircon.uucp>, uad1077@dircon.uucp writes:

> It's hard to imagine
> that the market for Macs could be many times bigger if they were
> clonable.

With all due respect, I think this has more to do with your imagination,
than the size of the market.  The Marketplace has accepted the Mac very
readily, due to its software advances.  Let's face it, you can only go
so far with the MS-DOS prompt, C>, which is of course, based on the CP/M
prompt, A>, which is in turn based on the RT-11 prompt, \n. .  I'm not saying
I prefer the Mac interface, just that the majority of the computer-buying
public do.  That majority would be a lot larger, if the machine sold, say,
for $600.00!  It would be a prerequisite in every new home in America (3
bedrooms, washer, dryer, Mac II).  AT&T were very embarrassed, when the
Federal Government demanded they lower their charges, and they started
making *more* money.  A lesson lost on the "Pepsi" generation at Apple.

> In a sense the Mac follows the Japanese consumer electronics
> thing of making sure that everyone who sees one WANTS one.

How about an analogy (I know, I know, everyone hates analogies).  Ferrari
have done a good job of "making sure that everyone who sees one WANTS one".
Honda, however, sell more cars and make more money.
						- Der
--
Dermot Tynan	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM
		{altos,apple,mips,pyramid}!zorba!dtynan

	"Five to one, baby, one in five.  No-one here gets out alive."

rballard@isis.cs.du.edu (Rexford E Ballard) (12/01/90)

Sun, or any other vendor for that matter, has a simple competitive
strategy.  Be "open" enough tbe the beneficiary of "commodity" support
software and peripherals, "unique" enough to warrant a higher mark-up, and
"closed" enough toensure growth and migration to new standards as they are
developed.

There have been many "cold steel" manufacturers of "standard" "cold iron"
boxes such as 68020 running BSD-4.2, CP/IP, and SCSI.  Sun survived by
adding valued features such as windows (SunView) back when X-10 was still
an experimental project and Macs came with 128K.  The migration to Xview
was somewhat traumatic at first, but as applications are ported to the
commodity environments (Common subset of Xview, Motif, ICCM), applications
previously only available on PCs are showing up on UNIX.

There have been many attempts to turn an MS-DOS PC into a more "unix-like"
box, with simple multitasking, windows, device independent graphics, and
interprocess communication.  Unfortunately, each attempt (including early
versions of windows) failed, primarily because of applications such as
Lotus 1-2-3 that literally took over the machine.  Each upgrade to IBM
graphics mandates an upgrade to Lotus.

When the IBM-PC first came out, IBM published quite a bit of technical
documentation.  In addition, they had a "hacker's contest", offering
incentives to those who could write softwarehat could take advantage of
the unique features of the PC.  The intent was to motivate businesses to
to switch away from CP/M and MP/M to the PC.

This "openness" was a double edged sword.  While it did render CP/M
obsolete, and it did prevent excessive cloning, it also made it difficult
to enhance the basic PC.

To be fair to Sun, they have adopted some very open standards including
SCSI, TCP/, X-11, and UNIX.  They also also provided SysV and BSD 4.2
support in the same machine.  They have also been good about defining and
opening their standards.  NFS, Yellow Pages (NIS), and RPC are examples of
standards defined, liscenced cheaply (note -ot free), and well documented
through well known sources (Internet RFCs).

It would be nice if Sun would ease up on the "Smoke and Mirrors" that make
Xview applications seem incompatible with other environments.  It would be
nice if they could "play nice" with other window managers (XView
initialization is sooooo slooooow).

On the other hand, look at the trouble they have had to go through to
maintain backward compatibility with their previous window systems.  XView
still proves support for SunView and NeWS.  This is real important when
you have to wait for 3rd party vendors to publish and release their XView
compatible software.  Unfortunately, there was so much hype over the
Motif vs Xview that vendors had to "wait and see".  It was interesting
that as the smoke cleared, there was an equivalent to "STDIO" that worked
on both platforms, along with many others.

I remember when MIT students passed around copies of the UNIX version 6
source code for PDP11/23s.  Back then the entire kernal was 128K and
were swapped by the context switcher.  You could hang 30 users on a
machine with less power than a 8Mhz PC/XT.

The original AT&T UNIX was almost public domain because antitrust laws
prevented them from selling the OS.  BSD improved it (to 4 Meg),
commercialized it, and liscenced it back to AT&T for SysV.3+.

The irony here is that a 3rd party vendor will write software to
the "lowest common denominator" (BSD, Curses, Plot, XWidgets, EPS...) to
be sure that he can "catch the next wave".'

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/02/90)

In article <1635@unix386.Convergent.COM>, dtynan@unix386.Convergent.COM (Dermot Tynan) writes:
|> In article <1990Nov25.194404.3376@dircon.uucp>, uad1077@dircon.uucp writes:
|> > It's hard to imagine
|> > that the market for Macs could be many times bigger if they were
|> > clonable.
|> [...] I'm not saying
|> I prefer the Mac interface, just that the majority of the computer-buying
|> public do.  That majority would be a lot larger, if the machine sold, say,
|> for $600.00!  It would be a prerequisite in every new home in America (3
|> bedrooms, washer, dryer, Mac II).  AT&T were very embarrassed, when the
|> Federal Government demanded they lower their charges, and they started
|> making *more* money.  A lesson lost on the "Pepsi" generation at Apple.
Maybe they've learnt at last. The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/03/90)

In <1990Dec2.014554.3491@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>Maybe they've learnt at last. The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
>Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.

Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (12/03/90)

In article <2760@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

That's humorous, for two reasons: A) Apple's "cash crop" is the Mac Classic
line (replacing the Apple //e, another irrelevant, obsolete cash cow which
managed to give Apple lots of money to develop the Mac line) B) The people who
are going to purchase the Mac are highly unlikely to be able to afford
28-MIPS machines.

Personally, I'd love to get a QUARTER of the profits from irrelevant 8 MHz
68000 machines which are sold by Apple, Atari, and Commodore.
                          %%%%% Signature v1.1 %%%%%
 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
*    Why do VMS system managers get more sleep and less ulcers than their  *
*        UNIX(TM) counterparts, despite the sophistication of UNIX?        *

grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (Vinod Grover) (12/04/90)

In article <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In <1990Dec2.014554.3491@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
>philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>
>>Maybe they've learnt at last. The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
>>Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.
>
>Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

According to a recent WSJ article, the demand for the "utterly irrelevant"
Mac Classic has been so high that Apple is having trouble meeting it.

Vinod Grover

lovejoy@alc.com (Alan Lovejoy) (12/04/90)

In article <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In <1990Dec2.014554.3491@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
>philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>>Maybe they've learnt at last. The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
>>Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.

>Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

Oh!  So THAT's why the 28-MIPS machines are breaking sales records and have
months-long waiting lists, while the 8-MHz 68k and x86 machines are sitting in
wharehouses with few buyers in sight?

I knew there had to be a reason! :-)

"Better" is the enemy of "good enough."  Once a device does its job acceptably,
price becomes the only issue.  For most users, an 8 MHz cpu is sufficient.
That is, it is PERCEIVED TO BE sufficient.  When the public becomes aware that
there is this [currently hypothetical] whizbang software program that can
double their income every year--but which requires a 28 MIPS machine for
acceptable usability, THEN 8 MHz cpus will become irrelevant.  We aren't there
yet, guys.

--
 %%%% Alan Lovejoy %%%% | "Do not go gentle into that good night,
 % Ascent Logic Corp. % | Old age should burn and rave at the close of the day;

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/04/90)

In <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> I wrote:

>>The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
>>Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.

>Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

A number of people have protested in email and in follow-up postings.
Some of them implicitly assumed that any discussion of MIPS must be
about a Sun running UNIX.  This is not so.

The state-of-the-art today in single-user machines is anywhere from 10
to 30 MIPS depending upon your budget.  People buying 80x86-based
systems are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
MHz or higher.  The Apple Classic *does not* cost $750 in any usable
configuration.  (And educational discounts only benefit a small
minority of users.) Add a decent amount of mass storage and other
peripherals and you can easily pay $2,000 or more.  There's just no
comparison with equivalent 80386SX-based systems.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

In article <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

| Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
| machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

  Except in technical, social, or ecconomic terms. All the dcomputing
the average home user ever needs to do could be done in CP/M, with a Z80
and 64k. People did (and do) run 100 employee businesses on them.

  All the extra power, memory, and disk space goes to provide the user
interface.

  I'm only slightly kidding.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/04/90)

In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
|> The state-of-the-art today in single-user machines is anywhere from 10
|> to 30 MIPS depending upon your budget.  People buying 80x86-based
|> systems are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
|> MHz or higher.  The Apple Classic *does not* cost $750 in any usable
|> configuration.  (And educational discounts only benefit a small
|> minority of users.) Add a decent amount of mass storage and other
|> peripherals and you can easily pay $2,000 or more.  There's just no
|> comparison with equivalent 80386SX-based systems.
The street price of the basic Classic is not much more than $750. The
_list_ price of the next model up, with 2M of RAM and a 40M hard disk is
$1500. The street price is probably much lower. This is certainly a
usable system, if only just. I'm not claiming this is a fantastic deal.
All I said was people are queueing up to buy them at this price. This
doesn't mean they are "state of the art", "cheaper than an 80386SUX (*)
system" or whatever else you want to read into this.

Thank you for your indulgence; can we get back to talking about architecture
now?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

(*) Meaningless name to ensure I don't launch another "my computer is better
than yours" war.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec1.030450.28687@isis.cs.du.edu> rballard@isis.UUCP (Rexford E Ballard) writes:

>Sun, or any other vendor for that matter, has a simple competitive
>strategy.  Be "open" enough tbe the beneficiary of "commodity" support
>software and peripherals, "unique" enough to warrant a higher mark-up, and
>"closed" enough toensure growth and migration to new standards as they are
>developed.
Good summary....

Needless to say, this is an interesting discussion. :-)
Here are a few more attribiutes that people might discuss in this one,
particularly to compare the IBM PC evolution, and SPARCclone stuff:

1) Consider following model of industry structure, and try to figure
out which companies control which pieces betweeen the two model:,
and to what degree they control them:
	a) Clear monopoly
	b) Power of market %, and hence to determine evolution
	  and do designs that othersmers must follow, or to do
		software also that others must track
	c) Buying power
Note that a) is usually obvious, whereas b) and c) are more subtle.

Microprocessor	Architecture+Logic Design 1
		Circuit design 2
		Fab & sell 3

Support chips	Design 4
		Fab and sell 5

H/W System	Design 6
		Fab and sell 7

Software	O/S  (not just who licenses, but who controls by volume) 8
		Key compilers 9
		Interface Standards 10
		Application software 11
Distribution	End-user vs dealer vs OEM vs VAR, support, compatibility 12

Interesting thing: for IBM PC, IBM "controlled" hardly any of these.
Also, note that if a single buyer buys a huge percentage of a seller's
product, they have more influence over what's  happening, and of course
they get better prices.  Sun has been qute open about wanting multiple
sources of supply (as does any systems company).
(I have  my own charts of these things, but I might be biased; it would
be interesting to hear other people's views in this model.)

2) Another way to slice it is to draw the chart that shows the
largest vendor's % of a "compatible" market, by year.
In this case, one would compare IBM: 1981, 1982, .... with Sun:
1987, 1988.....  here are the IBM numbers, from IDC (or Dataquest;
I'm in Japan right now and don't have it handy):

year	IBM % 	year	Sun share of SPARC-based systems
1981	100%	1987	100%
1982	98%	1988	100%
1983	85%	1989	 97.5%
1984	79%
1985	63%
1986	39%
and these days, I think it's around 20% for IBM.

I'd suggest, that rather than philosophical arguments, that the
percentage of market is at least one realistic metric regarding the
"open-ness" of what's really going on.  The other useful one is to
to see if there is any difference between marketing and sales,
i.e., if you call up your Sun salesperson and tell them you're about
to buy a lot of clones, do they say:
	a) Well, OK, I guess it's an open market
	b) Well, we can beat them on price or performance, or other
	"clonable" attributes.
	c) Well, you should stick with Sun because:
		support
		compatibility
		migration strategy
		earlier compilers or OS releases
		software that DOESN'T run on the clones (a lotoesn't;
			for example, about 350 of the items listed
			in the Summer 1990 SPARCware list require
			specific hardware or at least I/O busses and
			drivers, which are NOT necessarily guaranteed
			to work, even on a clone with same I/O bus.
(oops, time to run to press interview).
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700

In article <303@mesa.alc.com> lovejoy@alc.com (Alan Lovejoy) writes:

| "Better" is the enemy of "good enough."  Once a device does its job acceptably,
| price becomes the only issue.  For most users, an 8 MHz cpu is sufficient.
| That is, it is PERCEIVED TO BE sufficient.

  Truth. The reason that many people are buying SX's instead of 486's,
or Mac Classic instead of Mac IIFX, is that they get the job done just
as fast. Consider that most of the work done on small computers is just
not CPU bound. Home and business users typically run spreadsheets, with
leters, design fancy party invitations, and generally don't use much
CPU.

  And the big problems which are CPU intensive may well require
something really large, and not be practical on 28 MIPS, either.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) (12/04/90)

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

|In <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> I wrote:

|||The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
|||Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.

||Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
||machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

|A number of people have protested in email and in follow-up postings.
|Some of them implicitly assumed that any discussion of MIPS must be
|about a Sun running UNIX.  This is not so.

|The state-of-the-art today in single-user machines is anywhere from 10
|to 30 MIPS depending upon your budget.  People buying 80x86-based
|systems are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
|MHz or higher.  The Apple Classic *does not* cost $750 in any usable
|configuration.  (And educational discounts only benefit a small
|minority of users.) Add a decent amount of mass storage and other
|peripherals and you can easily pay $2,000 or more.  There's just no
|comparison with equivalent 80386SX-based systems.

	I'm typing this reply on my 80386-SX Austin at work. (I've been
told that "SX" stands for "sucks", but I cannot confirm this.) For a
turkey, this is a nice, cute little machine. But I must agree with you
completely in your: "There's just no comparison..." You are absolutely
correct. For productivity, getting it just the way I want it, for crisp
graphics, desktop publishing, fonts I can read all day, etc. etc. I
much prefer my Mac at home. It has better displays than any Super VGA
I've ever seen. The software available for the  Mac blows away anything
I have at work. I sure am glad that I don't have to hold my breath
waiting for the OS/2, Windows 3.XX vs. DOS 6 war to end with a clear
winner!! And as a computer architect, I cringe every time I think of
the design of the 80x86 machines. Give me a break and give me a 68xxx
machine with a reasonable user interface NOW!!
							--Sid

--
Sid Kitchel...............WARNING: allergic to smileys and hearts....
Computer Science Dept.                         kitchel@cs.indiana.edu

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (12/04/90)

In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>A number of people have protested in email and in follow-up postings.
>Some of them implicitly assumed that any discussion of MIPS must be
>about a Sun running UNIX.  This is not so.
>
>The state-of-the-art today in single-user machines is anywhere from 10
>to 30 MIPS depending upon your budget.  People buying 80x86-based
>systems are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
>MHz or higher.

Euh, dunno how to tell you this, but a 16Mhz '386 BARELY clocks 1 MIPS. I think
the 20 MHz maybe clocks 4. Maybe. So the castrated-16, er '386SX barely runs at
1-2 MIPS (VERY generous assumption). That's for $2K.

If you are talking '486 speeds, on a sunny day, with all things in harmony in
the Universe, and Intel not tinkering with the benchmarks (;-), you probably
can pull 12-16 MIPS. Average mileage may vary depending on amount of cache
available and clock speed. Of course, you are talking $3500-4000, with
actual vendor configurations averaging $5K.

>The Apple Classic *does not* cost $750 in any usable
>configuration.  (And educational discounts only benefit a small
>minority of users.)
>Add a decent amount of mass storage and other
>peripherals and you can easily pay $2,000 or more.  There's just no
>comparison with equivalent 80386SX-based systems.

So add a hard disk and an extra MB of RAM, and you now have a usable
configure for $1250, or thereabouts. That's street price, not educational. And
you haven't spent $750.
**************************************

This all begs the question of where we can all purchase 28-30 MIPS workstations
at $750. Or $2,000. TODAY.

Three years from now, when the '486 & and the '040 "trickle down" to us
unwashed masses, you may claim that the paltry 8MHz 68000 is "irrelevant."
However, today is a far different story, and I would once again like to have
some of the profits from these irrelevant machines show up in my bank account.
                          %%%%% Signature v1.1 %%%%%
 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
*    Why do VMS system managers get more sleep and less ulcers than their  *
*        UNIX(TM) counterparts, despite the sophistication of UNIX?        *

In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> [users] are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
> MHz or higher.

But running DOS this horsepower is pointless, and under OS/2 or windows too
much horsepower is wasted maintaining compatibility with DOS or fighting
an inadequate graphics subsystem.

A plain jane 68000 at 7.16 MHz provides far better user response time and
more functionality if it's not compensating for the mistakes of the past.

> there's no comparison with 80x86-based systems

That's for sure.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <3+_7KS1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

| But running DOS this horsepower is pointless, and under OS/2 or windows too
| much horsepower is wasted maintaining compatibility with DOS or fighting
| an inadequate graphics subsystem.

  When I can get V.4 with compilers, full TCP/NFS, and X-windows for
less than $1k, why would I run any of these things? Oh, and that
includes DOS under UNIX, so I can run all those MB of cheap/free
software, and enough Berkeley compatibility so I can run almost
everything I have on a Sun at work, at least if it uses X rather than
SunView.

| A plain jane 68000 at 7.16 MHz provides far better user response time and
| more functionality if it's not compensating for the mistakes of the past.

  Depends on what you're running. People confuse the CPU with the
software, and say they love the computer when all they see is the
interface.

  Running a multitasking o/s on an SX or 68010 makes them look about the
same, because they are: both have 32 bits internally, 16 externally. And
the [34]86 and 680[23]0. This is a bit blurry, because the chips don't
have as good a match as the SX/68010, but the performance is comparable,
running the same type of task.

  A much more interesting question (to me) is "what can be done with the
Mac interface to support subdirectories?" The command (diddle slashes
for UNIX or DOS) local/bin/graphics/myplotter maps to
	click/pop hard disk
	scroll and read, find local
	click and pop local
	scroll and read, find bin
	click and pop bin
	scroll and read, find graphics
	click and pop graphics
	scroll and read, find myplot
	click and run myplot

  I just can't feature doing this, and the Mac users all offer solutions
which effectively defeat having a tree structure, by putting everything
in some low level directory (yes I know these things are all called
something else and some clicks above are double clicks).

  There must be a better way. The pop and click stuff worked well for
floppies, it wears a bit thin with a pair of 1.2GB hard drives (which
look like two drives rather than one namespace with mounted partitions).
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

csd29@seq1.keele.ac.uk (A. Herath) (12/05/90)

From article <1990Nov25.194404.3376@dircon.uucp>, by uad1077@dircon.uucp:

> Dan Mocsny writes:
>> Consider where Apple computer would be right now if it had made
>> cloning the Mac easy. Consider where DEC would be if it had made
>
> While I largely agree with your analysis of Sun's move, Apple are
> perhaps the crwoning example that shows there is another way.  Apple
> often seem to be downplayed by netters, perhaps because they sell
> so many machines to non-computer users...  It's hard to imagine
                      ^
		      You mean as show pieces rather than the machines
		      that can be used (for the intended purpose) ? :-?

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (12/06/90)

In article <76095@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) writes:

-Stuff Deleted

>||Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>||machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

-Stuff Deleted

>	I'm typing this reply on my 80386-SX Austin at work. (I've been
>told that "SX" stands for "sucks", but I cannot confirm this.) For a

A 386dx is comprable to a 68030 and a 386sx blows away the 68020 and
lesser members of that family.  sx does not stand for sucks.  I have
an sx at home w/4 megs of RAM, 800x600 display, 100 megs of disk storage
3 floppies, midi interface, modem, mouse etc.

>turkey, this is a nice, cute little machine. But I must agree with you

Well since I'm a System Design Engineer, have written simulators for
a vector processor of my own design, designed and built couple of complete
microprocessor systems, have a BSEE and am currently working on an MSEE,
I'm definitely no turkey.  My machine is more than just cute, see above.

>completely in your: "There's just no comparison..." You are absolutely
>correct. For productivity, getting it just the way I want it, for crisp
>graphics, desktop publishing, fonts I can read all day, etc. etc. I
>much prefer my Mac at home. It has better displays than any Super VGA
You obviously haven't seen many Super VGA displays.  Remember a Classic
only has a 9" screen and something like 540x480 display (????) I know
I wouldn't call a Classic's screen high resolution.  You have to get
a large monitor to get better than the resolution avail. on Super VGA
800x600 and 1024x768.

>I've ever seen. The software available for the  Mac blows away anything
Depends on what you do.  A lot of software for the Mac has a IBM PC
product that is almost identical, and the opposite is also true.
I do know that the engineering packages for design entry, circuit analysis
on the Mac are not as mature as products available on PCs.

>I have at work. I sure am glad that I don't have to hold my breath
>waiting for the OS/2, Windows 3.XX vs. DOS 6 war to end with a clear

I don't hold my breath, Windows is a good product and so are a number of
other operating system enhancements.  If you want something more powerful
get Unix on a PC.  At least on 80x86 platforms there is a binary standard
so that anything compiled under SCO will run under any other Unix.  Not
so for the 680x0.

>winner!! And as a computer architect, I cringe every time I think of
                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then you also cringe when you think of the design of 680x0 machines
right ????
>the design of the 80x86 machines. Give me a break and give me a 68xxx
                                                       ~~~~~~~
>machine with a reasonable user interface NOW!!
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is NeXTstep, Motif, Openlook, MS Window?????????

That's right you. You like the Mac and well, good for you.  Diff. strokes
for diff. folks.  I like the openess of the PC arch. I also like the
NeXT but I don't go around bashing Atari's, Amiga's and Mac's.

>                                                       --Sid
>
>--
>Sid Kitchel...............WARNING: allergic to smileys and hearts....
>Computer Science Dept.                         kitchel@cs.indiana.edu
>Indiana University                              kitchel@iubacs.BITNET
>Bloomington, Indiana  47405-4101........................(812)855-9226

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (12/06/90)

csd29@seq1.keele.ac.uk (A. Herath) writes:

>From article <1990Nov25.194404.3376@dircon.uucp>, by uad1077@dircon.uucp:
>>

>> Dan Mocsny writes:
>>
>> While I largely agree with your analysis of Sun's move, Apple are
>> perhaps the crwoning example that shows there is another way.  Apple
>> often seem to be downplayed by netters, perhaps because they sell
>> so many machines to non-computer users...  It's hard to imagine
>                      ^
>		      You mean as show pieces rather than the machines
>		      that can be used (for the intended purpose) ? :-?

	From what I understand the percentage of unused Macs is
	no higher than the percentage of unused PCs and clones.
	In both cases it is reported that about 1/3 of the units
	shipped are _not_ used.

	Managers in academia, business, and government like to
	have a computer sitting on the credenza -- and more
	often than we like never even turn it on!

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (12/06/90)

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>A 386dx is comprable to a 68030 and a 386sx blows away the 68020 and
>lesser members of that family.  sx does not stand for sucks.  I have
>an sx at home w/4 megs of RAM, 800x600 display, 100 megs of disk storage
>3 floppies, midi interface, modem, mouse etc.

386sx's are pretty much the same, operationally, as 68020's. I've got
a Mac II at home w/8 megs of RAM, 640x480 display (so I'm cheap :-)),
470 megs of disk storage, 2 floppies, 2 modems, mouse, printer etc.
Peripherals don't prove very much. Computationally, it's pretty hard
to tell the difference.

>You obviously haven't seen many Super VGA displays.  Remember a Classic
>only has a 9" screen and something like 540x480 display (????) I know
>I wouldn't call a Classic's screen high resolution.  You have to get
>a large monitor to get better than the resolution avail. on Super VGA
>800x600 and 1024x768.

You're confusing resolution with pixels. The resolution of a Macintosh
monitor (any Macintosh monitor from Apple and almost all third party
monitors) is 72+/- 1 dpi.

>>winner!! And as a computer architect, I cringe every time I think of
>                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Then you also cringe when you think of the design of 680x0 machines
>right ????

The 680x0 is a much cleaner architecture than the 80x86, if for
no other reason than that the backward compatibility is limited to
a reasonable processor (8086! gimme a break!).

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (12/06/90)

In article <3+_7KS1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>> [users] are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
>> MHz or higher.
>
>But running DOS this horsepower is pointless

That is simply false. Try running Autocad or TeXing my book,
or previewing the TeX output. Or integrating 24 simultaneous linear
ODEs for a million steps. For those tasks a 20 MHz 386 is enough
power, but most certainly not too much.

Doug McDonald

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec6.035617.4873@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>In article <3+_7KS1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>> [users] are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
>>> MHz or higher.
>>
>>But running DOS this horsepower is pointless
>

>That is simply false. Try running Autocad or TeXing my book,
>or previewing the TeX output. Or integrating 24 simultaneous linear
>ODEs for a million steps. For those tasks a 20 MHz 386 is enough
>power, but most certainly not too much.
>
>Doug McDonald

Although I'm not a big MuShy-DOS fan, I do feel MS-DOS has one advantage over
most other OS's for the Intel based PC machines: it was poorly designed.

This has basically allowed developers to mix design modes.  Most programs
will do screen I/O by writing directly to video memory while file I/O is done
using MS-DOS system calls.  Being able to bypass the OS, of course, is de-
pendent on compatibility between hardware systems, but it's there, and it
allows a developer to take full advantage of the available computing power,
albeit, with a possible trade-off in portability.

My point, simply, is that in most cases, MS-DOS, by being poorly designed,
has provoked developers to bypass the OS and give more horsepower to the
user.

Mind you, I'll be getting myself an 80386 machine soon and hopefully I'll be
running UNIX with X-Windows.  Ooh!  So scarey!

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?

In article <c82A02WA03kX01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:

| That's right you. You like the Mac and well, good for you.  Diff. strokes
| for diff. folks.  I like the openess of the PC arch. I also like the
| NeXT but I don't go around bashing Atari's, Amiga's and Mac's.

  The Mac is an example os "central planning," while X-windows is an
example of "free market" design. On the Mac all applications look the
same, and having learned one you have a start on learning others. In X
you choose a window manager which makes the universe look the way you
want it.

  There are good and bad points to both approaches, and a belief that
either is superior in all cases will not give a useful view of the
situation. I'm going to assume that user interface design is a valid
topic, even if a lot of stuff before has just been flamage.

  The Mac approach presnts a consistant interface, with reduced user
training. Unfortunately, if the user doesn't *like* that single
unchangable interface, s/he is just out of luck. The idea is that the
designers know best what's good for the user, and the user should adapt
or die.

  The X approach assumes the user will find an interface which enhances
productivity. In at least some cases this isn't true. The user will
spend a lot of time with various interfaces, never learning any one
enough to be productive. The up side is that the typical user will
choose an interface, and use that window manager which matches the way
the user's mind works. That's a big boost to productivity. The power
user may use various interfaces for certain tasks, and will benefit from
the best parts of all of them.

  Let's stop worrying about which is better, because neither is perfect
and they reflect two approaches to delivering resources, and do not
compete, in that they solve diferent problems, even though they may look
like the same problem to the user.

  I really believe that if Mac, X, NeWS, and Windows3 had all started
even, at the same time with no installed base, and portable, that a
clear winner would have emerged, and neither X nor Mac would not be the
winner. X because the promise of cheap dumb terminals is false, the CPU
and memory to run X will also run NeWS at a lower bandwidth between
client and server, and Mac because it lacks a command interface for
those cases where there are too many choices for a comfortable menu.

  This is my opinion, feel free to discuss it, but don't flame me about
it, I never claimed it was the only true truth, just that it looks that
way to me. If Mac hadn't been first, they would have had another Lisa on
their hands.

    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

In article <c82A02WA03kX01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
> At least on 80x86 platforms there is a binary standard so that anything
> compiled under SCO will run under any other Unix.

You haven't been following the "SCO isn't UNIX" thread on c.u.sysv386,
have you?

Seriously, there is a 68000 Sys V ABI. You just need to find a machine that
follows it...

But, really, for UNIX the day of the CISC processor is pretty much over.
Neither the 80x86 nor the 68000 are significantly price-competitive with
the low end Sparcs, and they're looking less exciting all the time.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <1990Dec6.035617.4873@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
> In article <3+_7KS1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >In article <2764@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> >> [users] are mostly buying machines running 80286 and 80386 CPUs at 16
> >> MHz or higher.

> >But running DOS this horsepower is pointless

> That is simply false. Try [ eminently high-power applications ]

OK, I'll amend that. Running DOS this horsepower is mostly pointless. We have
DOS machines with 80386es in them here and all they run is Procomm and word
processors. I.e, for the users who are "mostly buying" hot boxes they would
be as well served with an XT class machine.

I have at home a Xerox 820. 64K, Z80, CP/M. It runs kermit and Select and
does as good a job at terminal emulation and light editing as the Compaq
Deskpro in the office next door.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.005211.7490@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:

>386sx's are pretty much the same, operationally, as 68020's. I've got

I don't agree because you have to get a PMMU on a 68020 which adds wait
states to memory.  But besides that they are equivalent.

>>You obviously haven't seen many Super VGA displays.  Remember a Classic
>>only has a 9" screen and something like 540x480 display (????) I know
>>I wouldn't call a Classic's screen high resolution.  You have to get
>>a large monitor to get better than the resolution avail. on Super VGA
>>800x600 and 1024x768.
>
>You're confusing resolution with pixels. The resolution of a Macintosh
>monitor (any Macintosh monitor from Apple and almost all third party
>monitors) is 72+/- 1 dpi.

No I'm not, resolution is the number of pixels, dot pitch determines
dpi.  Look at any number of publications and manufacturer's literature
and resolution is listed as 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

Almost all SVGA screens have dpi greater than 72 +/- 1.  The dot pitches
for SVGA class monitors starts at .31mm (80 dpi) and the other standards
are .28mm(90 dpi) and .25mm (100 dpi).  BTW .31mm is considered not good
for a SVGA since standard EGA and VGA had .31mm and .28mm dot pitches.

By todays standard  a monitor w/ a dot pitch of .35mm (72 dpi) is
considered corse and grainy.   72 dpi IS corse dot pitch.  The standard
Mac IS low resolution and just looking at specs is definitly not better
SVGA or VGA for that matter.

>>>winner!! And as a computer architect, I cringe every time I think of
>>                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>Then you also cringe when you think of the design of 680x0 machines
>>right ????
>
>The 680x0 is a much cleaner architecture than the 80x86, if for
>no other reason than that the backward compatibility is limited to
>a reasonable processor (8086! gimme a break!).

If I'm not mistaken the 68k is circa 8086.  BTW what is wrong w/ backward
compatibility in a processor.  If you don't have backward compatibility
you've got a different processor family.

The 68040 is a kluge just like the i486 both use a RISC core wrapped up

in a CISC instruction set.  The 68k arch. is not better that the 80x86
they're just different.

>--John

Before you start blasting away at arch. and screens check you sources.
Mine are industry standard for what is called resolution and dot pitch.

     KeNT

renglish@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Bob English) (12/07/90)

In article <FNA^KA@rpi.edu> fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>My point, simply, is that in most cases, MS-DOS, by being poorly designed,
>has provoked developers to bypass the OS and give more horsepower to the
>user.

On the other hand, one could make a strong case a poorly designed OS
provokes developers to bypass the OS and get more horsepower from the
hardware, thus making it difficult to take advantage of future advances
in hardware technology, discouraging innovation, and slowing progress
for all concerned.

--bob--
renglish@hplabs
"If I owned the company, even the door handles would be cool."

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (12/07/90)

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.005211.7490@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:

>>386sx's are pretty much the same, operationally, as 68020's. I've got
>I don't agree because you have to get a PMMU on a 68020 which adds wait
>states to memory.  But besides that they are equivalent.

I was comparing after the PMMU, of course. I'm running Unix on my
'020 most of the time.

>>You're confusing resolution with pixels. The resolution of a Macintosh
>>monitor (any Macintosh monitor from Apple and almost all third party
>>monitors) is 72+/- 1 dpi.

>No I'm not, resolution is the number of pixels, dot pitch determines
>dpi.  Look at any number of publications and manufacturer's literature
>and resolution is listed as 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

Manufacturers who don't understand English, either conversational
or technical. Resolution has a very clear and precise meaning, and
it isn't the number of dots on your (arbitrarily big) monitor.
Resolution, in monitors as in printers, is the number of dots placed
in a given area. Dot pitch and dpi are both measures of resolution,
dots on the screen is not. The term is based on the idea of resolving
a point --- how precisely can you display images of a given size?
Clearly the number of dots on your display impacts this --- more dots
on a display of the same size affects resolution. Adding more dots,
but making the screen bigger, doesn't change resolution. It just
gives you the ability to put more things on your screen at the same
resolution.

I'll concede, however, that this is a common mistake, similar to the
misuse of hacker as cracker, MIPs as a measure of anything useful, and
so forth. I'll also drop the point, since I don't want this to become
a terminology flame. Others can pick up the discussion from here.

>>The 680x0 is a much cleaner architecture than the 80x86, if for
>>no other reason than that the backward compatibility is limited to
>>a reasonable processor (8086! gimme a break!).

>If I'm not mistaken the 68k is circa 8086.  BTW what is wrong w/ backward
>compatibility in a processor.  If you don't have backward compatibility
>you've got a different processor family.

Backward compatibility is great and wonderful, as long as it doesn't
cost you anything. Staying compatible with a 1980 (or earlier) design
(the 8086) is clearly straining the 80x86 family of processors. The
680x0 series is based on a 1982-3 design (the 68000) (BTW, the Lisa,
which uses the 68000, came out in 1983 I believe. Possibly 1982).

Those two years are one of the reasons why a 68030 is only about twice
as slow as a 80486 at the same clock speed and why a 68040 is about
half again as fast as the 80486. The 680x0 series maintains backward
compatibility with the 68000, which was two years later and based on
a number of lessons learned in those two years (as well as borrowing
a few more good ideas from the mainframes of yore, from whence quite a
lot of microcomputer 'advances' come).

>The 68040 is a kluge just like the i486 both use a RISC core wrapped up
>in a CISC instruction set.  The 68k arch. is not better that the 80x86
>they're just different.

I agree; they're both 'kludges' in the sense you describe. They're
both processor families that are popular but aging. There are clearly
better processors around then either of them by a number of criteria.
But, comparing only the two, I believe the 680x0 series to be a better
architecture than the 80x86 series, at least from a programmer's point
of view (I'm not a hardware designer, I'm an operating systems person.
I know which series I'm happier working with).

>Before you start blasting away at arch. and screens check you sources.
>Mine are industry standard for what is called resolution and dot pitch.

I have checked my sources. They indicate (you guessed it) that, on
the subject of resolution, I'm correct. On the comparison between
80x86 and 680x0, there's clearly a lot of opinion involved in the
comparison. On the factual questions I stand by my sources.

In article <1990Dec7.030303.20157@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>>In article <1990Dec6.005211.7490@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:
>

>>>You're confusing resolution with pixels. The resolution of a Macintosh
>>>monitor (any Macintosh monitor from Apple and almost all third party
>>>monitors) is 72+/- 1 dpi.
>
>>No I'm not, resolution is the number of pixels, dot pitch determines
>>dpi.  Look at any number of publications and manufacturer's literature
>>and resolution is listed as 800x600, 1024x768, etc.
>
>Manufacturers who don't understand English, either conversational
Well I guess NeXT, IBM, PC Magazine, Sony, Mitsubishi, NEC, Relisys,
Accuvue, JVC, and Nanao all need to go back and learn english.  Resolution
in standard terms, used in manufacturers literature states resolution
is (some num.)x(some num.) and dpi is specified seperately.  So I'll
say that resolution is a function of both dpi and number of dots on the
screen.

>or technical. Resolution has a very clear and precise meaning, and
   >it isn't the number of dots on your (arbitrarily big) monitor.
>Resolution, in monitors as in printers, is the number of dots placed
>in a given area. Dot pitch and dpi are both measures of resolution,
>dots on the screen is not. The term is based on the idea of resolving
>a point --- how precisely can you display images of a given size?
>Clearly the number of dots on your display impacts this --- more dots
>on a display of the same size affects resolution. Adding more dots,
>but making the screen bigger, doesn't change resolution. It just
>gives you the ability to put more things on your screen at the same
>resolution.

But you still haven't addressed the argument you made that said a 72 dpi
Mac monitor is better than a SVGA monitor on an IBM system.  Which
is definitely false.  Once agin SVGA moitors range from 80-100dpi which
translates .32mm to .25mm per pixel.

>Those two years are one of the reasons why a 68030 is only about twice
>as slow as a 80486 at the same clock speed and why a 68040 is about
>half again as fast as the 80486. The 680x0 series maintains backward
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll believe this when there are more than a handfull of '040 in systems.
I know that Motorola started shipping in volume and as soon as the
systems are out there to compare (running ral applications) I'll
believe it.  What Motorola or any manufac. claims as mips is not valid.
Also speed is going to depend a lot on operating system overhead  and
compiler design.  I'll venture to say that they are comperable processors
and leave it at that.

>compatibility with the 68000, which was two years later and based on
>a number of lessons learned in those two years (as well as borrowing
>a few more good ideas from the mainframes of yore, from whence quite a
>lot of microcomputer 'advances' come).
>
>>The 68040 is a kluge just like the i486 both use a RISC core wrapped up
>>in a CISC instruction set.  The 68k arch. is not better that the 80x86
>>they're just different.
>
>I agree; they're both 'kludges' in the sense you describe. They're
>both processor families that are popular but aging. There are clearly
>better processors around then either of them by a number of criteria.
>But, comparing only the two, I believe the 680x0 series to be a better
>architecture than the 80x86 series, at least from a programmer's point
>of view (I'm not a hardware designer, I'm an operating systems person.
>I know which series I'm happier working with).
>
>>Before you start blasting away at arch. and screens check you sources.
>>Mine are industry standard for what is called resolution and dot pitch.
>
>I have checked my sources. They indicate (you guessed it) that, on
>the subject of resolution, I'm correct. On the comparison between
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm looking at a bunch of stuff that people call industry standard
reviews, product literature.  What are your sources???  I quoted mine.
See above.
>80x86 and 680x0, there's clearly a lot of opinion involved in the
>comparison. On the factual questions I stand by my sources.
                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~
What sources??????

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/08/90)

In article <3005@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  The Mac is an example os "central planning," while X-windows is an
>example of "free market" design. On the Mac all applications look the
>same, and having learned one you have a start on learning others.
>
>  The Mac approach presnts a consistant interface, with reduced user
>training. Unfortunately, if the user doesn't *like* that single
>unchangable interface, s/he is just out of luck. The idea is that the
>designers know best what's good for the user, and the user should adapt
>or die.

There seems to be a common misconception that Apple has somehow built the
Mac in such a way that you *have* to use their interface.  This is totally
incorrect.

Apple provide a set of tools for building elements of an interface, but:

a) it takes a h*ll of a lot of user code to take the toolbox and produce
   a "standard" Mac interface.

b) the programmer is free to totally or partially ignore what has been
   provided and do things herself.

c) the user can change a lot of element of the interface by substituting
   different versions of the standard code for drawing menus, windows,
   buttons etc etc.  There exist sets of such code that can be installed
   to give the Mac a new, but still consistant feel -- for example there
   are several such sets of code designed to make the Mac mimic the NeXT
   user interface (Black Box, for example).

The only way that Apple force you to follow their interface is by gentle
(and not-so-gentle) persuasion, and by making the desired interface the
path of least resistance (note especilly the MacApp effort to make a
standard interface easier to provide).

>Mac because it lacks a command interface

The Mac doesn't have a command interface supplied with it in the box, but
there are CLI's available for it.  MPW is the obvious example.
--
Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz   Twisted pair: +64 4 772 116
BIX: brucehoult                 Last Resort:  PO Box 4145 Wellington, NZ

In article <QK+78Z9@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

| But, really, for UNIX the day of the CISC processor is pretty much over.
| Neither the 80x86 nor the 68000 are significantly price-competitive with
| the low end Sparcs, and they're looking less exciting all the time.

  But... what are you comparing? If it's dickless workstations, there
are virtually no vendors of them with CISC chips. You win by default. If
you talk about free-standing systems, the 486 wins hands down. There are
a number of vendors selling 486 systems at a price which allows the
total system, with 300+MB disk, 8-12MB RAM, 800x600x256 display, UNIX,
compilers, and X to come in under $6k. With a bit of very careful
shopping you can come in pennies under $5k.

  And since you said "low end" in your posting, I have no hesitation in
saying that the system is faster for integer, and about as fast for
float. The 25MHz 486 SPECs between the SS and SS+ as I recall.

  I'm still trying to get a useful personal system with an SX for $3k
with software, and I'm getting real close. Then project cheap-ix will
be complete, and I can stop building, testing,  and selling off systems
in my spare room.

In article <d48f027P03Sc01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

| >Manufacturers who don't understand English, either conversational
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Well I guess NeXT, IBM, PC Magazine, Sony, Mitsubishi, NEC, Relisys,
| Accuvue, JVC, and Nanao all need to go back and learn english.  Resolution
| in standard terms, used in manufacturers literature states resolution
| is (some num.)x(some num.) and dpi is specified seperately.  So I'll
| say that resolution is a function of both dpi and number of dots on the
| screen.

  Manufacturers ad agencies will say anything which sells hardware. The
better ones don't lie, but they all use confusing verbiage and quote
totally meaningless facts.

  By the standard of number of pixels, the bunch of drunks at a football
game holding up flash cards a meter square have more resolution than the
best display you can buy. If you want 6000x500 "resulution" and a *real
long* persistance, this is the display for you.

  I have been guilty of using this terminology, but I at least
understand that it is a misnomer and would not try to defend it as
correct usage.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (12/08/90)

In article <2760@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>Maybe they've learnt at last. The new Classic costs $750 at the Stanford
>>Bookstore, and the waiting list for them is 2 months long.
>Nope.  "Classic" here means "obsolete".  In this day and age of 28-MIPS
>machines, what Apple does with an 8 MHz 68000 is utterly irrelevant.

	Not to burst any bubbles but, my toaster oven and thermostat
	don't need 28MIPS of CPU power to function. Hell, I'll even
	throw in my microwave, 'fridge, VCR, Stereo, TV and dishwasher!

	Think about it. A Mac Classic is a household appliance, NOT
	a "real" computer per say. What is joe average going to
	DO with 28MIPS? The average person doesn't NEED that much
	power. My Color Computer 3 running OS/9 costs about $400.00
	and can put a PC to shame in most cases. It runs an "obsolete"
	Motorola 6809E 8 bit processor and is a VERY useful system!

	For home use my CoCo is more than enough computing power and a
	Mac Classic has even more than that although it lacks color.

	We aren't taking rocket scientists here kids, we're talking
	Numbtendo addicts and video junkies.

		-Rob

Speaking for self, not company.

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (12/08/90)

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
>But you still haven't addressed the argument you made that said a 72 dpi
>Mac monitor is better than a SVGA monitor on an IBM system.  Which
>is definitely false.  Once agin SVGA moitors range from 80-100dpi which
>translates .32mm to .25mm per pixel.

Please pay more attention to your attributions. I never made the
original comment; my remarks were limited to the misuse of the term
'resolution'. As a matter of fact, there are a number of SVGA
monitors which are better than the average Macintosh monitor. There
are also a number of Mac monitors which, while having fewer dots per
inch, are sharper than many SVGA monitors (because many SVGA
monitors that I've seen are very fuzzy). Fuzziness turns dots per
inch into spots per inch and can lower the effective dpi. However,
I agree that SVGA monitors are, quite often, higher resolution than
Mac monitors whether the Mac monitors are 512x384 or 1152x870.

>>Those two years are one of the reasons why a 68030 is only about twice
>>as slow as a 80486 at the same clock speed and why a 68040 is about
>>half again as fast as the 80486. The 680x0 series maintains backward
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>I'll believe this when there are more than a handfull of '040 in systems.
>I know that Motorola started shipping in volume and as soon as the
>systems are out there to compare (running ral applications) I'll
>believe it.  What Motorola or any manufac. claims as mips is not valid.

I agree; manufacturer claims are notoriously overrated. I'm basing
my speed estimate on benchmarks I've seen run on real 68040 boxes
and real 80486 boxes. The 68040 seems to be about three times as
fast as the 68030 at the same clock speed; hence, it is about half
again as fast as the 80486.

>I'm looking at a bunch of stuff that people call industry standard
>reviews, product literature.  What are your sources???  I quoted mine.

On 'resolution': check several of the papers done by the X Window
system implementers. For that matter, run xdpyinfo on your favorite
machine and see what it reports for resolution. Or check a number
of papers from SIGGRAPH or other graphics journals. Or check other
postings in this string...

On the 680x0/80x86: personal experience with machines using them
for benchmarking; processor manuals for instruction sets; opinion
on which I'd rather be working with.

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec07.194407.29083@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

...	   Not to burst any bubbles but, my toaster oven and thermostat
	   We aren't taking rocket scientists here kids, we're talking
	   Numbtendo addicts and video junkies.

Consider the humble camera. Used to be very simple, a box with a hole.
Good enough for most purposes. OK, so we evolved lenses. Then, for
quite a time the plateau was reached (for the medium-high end) with
35mm SLR cameras. Of course, it took a bit of savvy to get good
results and lighting was critical....

Then along came folks like Minolta. 3 microprocessors, a bevy of
sensors, communication channel for outboard devices (flash) and now
nearly anyone can walk into a completely darkened room, point and
click and get a perfectly focused picture (* it really works with the
'smart' flash).

In order to make computers "simple" and "easy" to use, and accessible
to the bulk of "nintendo junkies" (read folks who have better ways to
spend their time than parsing ALGOL68 docsets) is by building vastly
more powerful systems. 28mips (whatever they are) is several hundreds
of orders of magnitude too small for a really user friendly system.

A friend of mine has a good example. He goes to his favorite pub (duke
of endinburgh, for those who know the sillycone valley area) and waves
to his favorite server. She looks him over, and picks out what he
wants to drink ... based on his mood.

He claims she's almost never wrong.

I want my computer to be at least half as good. (and it should do the
dishes ;>).
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/09/90)

In <1990Dec07.194407.29083@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

>	My Color Computer 3 running OS/9 costs about $400.00
>	and can put a PC to shame in most cases. It runs an "obsolete"
>	Motorola 6809E 8 bit processor and is a VERY useful system!

Actually the point made is a good one.  The Motorola 6809 was very
carefully designed to allow position-independent code.  As a result, a
UNIX-like OS (OS9), which can create multiple processes without
memory-management hardware, was easy to write for this CPU.  OS9
deserves more attention than it gets.  It's a pity IBM didn't pick the
6809 (maybe it came after the 8086?)

All this is, of course, irrelevant if you're talking about Mac
Classics.