[comp.arch] Horsepower Needed for MS-DOS

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (12/07/90)

>>In article <3+_7KS1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>>But running DOS this horsepower is pointless

As others have pointed out, a DOS user can certainly purchase off-the-
shelf applications that decidedly strain the hardware. However, the
average DOS user perhaps does not run them.

Part of the reason is that the average DOS user does not invest a lot
of time and effort into discovering interesting new compute-expensive
things to do. The rest of the reason is that the average DOS developer
make sures its software will at least run acceptably on an
8088-vanilla PC.

This does not mean the average DOS user has no "need" for computer
power. Certainly the DOS user is able in principle to benefit from
having the computer do more things in his/her behalf. It only means
the average DOS user does not need more computer power to run the
applications that (s)he is likely to purchase, which is something
entirely different. If a person doesn't have a wallet to put their
money in, will we say the person doesn't "need" money?

As 386 PC's become the standard, software will evolve upward in
complexity and power, and this will tax the available hardware more.
To tie together another thread in this newsgroup, consider what
widespread use of CD-ROM will do. Since CD-ROM makes large amounts
of information available for occasional and simultaneous
access, multi-tasking on top of other applications is essential.
Indexing, caching, and decompression schemes add overhead. And let's
don't even talk about multimedia stuff.

People will want to use this, even unsophisticated users, if it is
designed and packaged intelligently.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

In article <6879@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
> As 386 PC's become the standard, software will evolve upward in
> complexity and power, and this will tax the available hardware more.

I quite agree. Should the average user be able to buy and effectively use
an O/S worthy of the name for the IBM-PC, the situation will change. But
when I said a 386 was a waste of horsepower for most DOS users, I *was*
talking of DOS, and I was talking of today's users. I don't see that
changing in the near future.

(meanwhile, I've had 5 years use out of a computer that can quite effectively
 use such additional horsepower and has all the nifty features IBM and Apple
 are still trying to get working... but that's another topic)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (12/10/90)

In article <1625@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:
> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>
>>And it is up to us to figure out (or invent) what this means and
>>bring some of this incredible power into the reach of the masses.
>
> The problem is that the technical people can produce whatever great
> things they want; the masses will only buy what their neighbour buys
> _or_ what the marketing creap tells them to buy _or_ what bears those
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> horrible three letters.
>
> Proof: the technically great machine I'm using...
>
> Tiggr

What should we tell them to buy?  And why, from their point
of view, should they buy it?

dan herrick
dlh Performance Marketing
POBox 1419