[comp.arch] NuBus popularity

aek@Apple.COM (Al Kossow) (12/13/90)

>Hasn't it already happened and nobody noticed? But NUbus has so far not
>been incredibly popular, which is a real pity. Apple more or less killed
>it by adopting it in a nonstandard version (strange form factor mostly).

Over a hundred thousand machines in the field, and dozens of third-party
card vendors isn't popular ??

--

Al Kossow @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: aek@apple.com

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/13/90)

In article <47320@apple.Apple.COM> aek@Apple.COM (Al Kossow) writes:
>Over a hundred thousand machines in the field, and dozens of third-party
>card vendors isn't popular ??

Uhm... by that definition, one of the most popular buses has been the Apple
2 bus.

"Popular" means several things.  You are assuming that a single vendor's
adoption makes a bus popular.  Piercarlo (rightly, IMNSHO) assumes that
multiple vendors' adoption makes it popular.

Can one plug any of those third-party cards into any other NuBus machine?

No?  Yep, I can see how popular the NuBus is then.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."